Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick Craigslist Question (Read 182 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Quick Craigslist Question
08/10/10 at 00:56:35

I know that the HD Dyna exhaust is a popular replacement for the stock system. I am positive that I want to give the Dynas a whirl and strap one on over the winter. I stumbled across these babies on Craigslist and they are very local and beat the prices on eBay by a few bucks but I'm not positive they are Dynas as the post doesn't have enough info. Any insight?

Link to add

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/1890388747.html

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Quick Craigslist Question
Reply #1 - 08/10/10 at 03:16:49

grag 'em ...  they will work

considering the short tapered shape they are likely sporty or dyna

I do not see any side holes like from the more recent models but check before you buy; you do not want the side crossover holes

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #2 - 08/10/10 at 03:26:13

Just need to know what to look for when I call the guy.. a big newbie here. The Savage is my first bike. From what I understand there are a few different models, some being harder to mount?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/10/10 at 04:12:17

Wake51 wrote on 08/10/10 at 03:26:13:
Just need to know what to look for when I call the guy.. a big newbie here. The Savage is my first bike. From what I understand there are a few different models, some being harder to mount?

the intake end that you clamp to the header are all the same size, 1 3/4" ID, which is slightly larger than the Savage header; cut the middle out of a soda can and wrap it around the header twice to take up the space and when you clamp it it will seal quite well.
you can also buy exhaust gasket material and do the same thing.

the mounting tabs on the sides of the mufflers are usually spaced differently; one forward a bit and back a bit so when you get the pair home check which one is closest to the bikes muffler mounting bar; if the muffler tab does not match up exactly with the mount bar then
you may need to get a short piece of metal to bolt to the bar and then to the muffler
if you don't have one on hand most hardware stores have metal bars with holes already punched so you just need to get a short one or cut a longer one down to fit.
the whole thing is really easy to do

these mufflers sound great on a Savage
you will need to adjust the carb a bit for optimum efficiency & performance...let me know if you need help with that

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 08/10/10 at 04:39:27

Excellent... I was hoping to rejet to make her run a little more rich anyway and the Dyna seemed to be the perfect excuse. If these are actual Dynas I'll be giving him a call first thing today.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 08/10/10 at 06:15:45

All of the HD mufflers are stamped with an HD part number.  Email the seller and ask what the part number is, then Google it.  That will tell you exactly what it came off of.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #6 - 08/10/10 at 12:47:38

This is what the guy told me.

"Dyna models 2001 and later, 22 inches long part number is 64941-01 but was told it crosses over to 64941-07"

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 08/10/10 at 13:09:41

That is one of the part numbers that has be said to work fine on a Savage.  Search the forum with that part number and you will find conversations (dare I say arguments?) about "direct fit", but we have members who claim that part number works fine.  $25 isn't a bad price, offer him $20....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #8 - 08/10/10 at 23:03:56

Item obtained. Picked them up for $25 this evening. So much for the easy part, now to mount those suckers!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:15:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Quick Craigslist Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.