Send Topic Print
Drive Belt (Read 413 times)
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Re: Drive Belt
Reply #15 - 08/10/10 at 11:11:58

only thing i can think of for the belt to go like that is if you managed to piss off any significant others in the past.  hell hath no fury like a woman scorned   Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/10/10 at 11:51:52

mornhm - FSO wrote on 08/10/10 at 07:41:39:
Something that I would look very closely at if this were my motorcycle. just above the finger on the left edge there is a short line cutting in from the edge. About nine teeth above that on the left is a longer line cutting across the belt again from the left. The break on the left side of the belt is again about nine teeth beyond that. If you start counting down (in the other direction from the break) from the first mark by the finger and go approximately the same distance (nine teeth) there is another line across the belt.

Agree, these "cuts" are currious.  And the odd abrassion along the outside edge aren't consistent.  They can't be from something rubbing on the belts in operation.  More like hanger rash.  Whatever cut the top edge, damaged the fibers too.  And if the outside fiber was cut, would provide a starting point for the tear.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #17 - 08/10/10 at 20:28:00

I will have to examine it tomorrow in the day light and see what is shadows and what is odd.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #18 - 08/11/10 at 19:47:00

It's a very crisp, almost clean "Z" type snap. Is it odd for a kevlar reinforced belt to break like that? Nothing that looks like a tear, little fraying, and all those right angles. I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem right about the way the belt broke. Let us know what you find out. My imagination is running wild with images of some nefarious person(s) with evil intent and a pair of bolt cutters doing a half cut on the belt, then it giving way after a while due to tension when under speed. Have you pissed anyone off?

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 08/12/10 at 15:20:21

Jay wrote on 08/11/10 at 19:47:00:
It's a very crisp, almost clean "Z" type snap. Is it odd for a kevlar reinforced belt to break like that? Nothing that looks like a tear, little fraying, and all those right angles. I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't seem right about the way the belt broke. Let us know what you find out. My imagination is running wild with images of some nefarious person(s) with evil intent and a pair of bolt cutters doing a half cut on the belt, then it giving way after a while due to tension when under speed. Have you pissed anyone off?

I second that suspicion. There's also some cut marks where it didn't snap. Someone tried to cut that thing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/12/10 at 15:39:05

Kevlar is an odd beast.
Used to use kevlar bow strings in competition.  They didn't last as long as Dacron? strings, which basically lasted forever vs. 1000 shots.
The problem is the strands don't stretch.  So packed in a spiral cord, the outer fibers received the full load.  While the inner fibers aren't loaded.  but once it started to tear, the whole string went quickly.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #21 - 08/12/10 at 23:15:00

OK so I looked at it and it is just the lighting. and the stuff on the edge is oil. The tear is ragged a cut would be clean. Wonder where my good camera is.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:16:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive Belt

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.