Motorcycle GPS (Read 143 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Motorcycle GPS
08/08/10 at 06:48:04

Anyone recommend a small bar mounted GPS, w/ maybe a 2-3" screen? (not handheld)

Riding almost nothing but backhills here in Winston-Dillard Or, I find myself lost 1/2 the time,....lotsa times backtracking when I didn't have to.
Thanks

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Motorcycle GPS
Reply #1 - 08/08/10 at 06:56:17

Most GPS you can get a bicycle mount that will work on the motorcycle handlebars,I have a Garmin setup but never set it up or used the Gps,I know most of the road where I travel,Been in the area over 60 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 08/08/10 at 07:11:57

any cheap GPS is better than none.  On the bike I use an old Mio C310x which is not made anymore, old maps etc, but good enough for never being lost.  

2-inch screens exist but are too small - I recommend 3.5-inch typical.  Don't count on hearing the verbal directions through your helmet.  Motorcycle-specific GPS'es are few and expensive, engineered with big buttons, bluetooth to headset - not worth it to me.  You can mount any typical GPS on a handlebar with a PDA holder like http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15544 but I would zip-tie with some kinda quick-release for backup.  

I wouldn't spend more than $120 on a GPS now.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #3 - 08/08/10 at 07:13:55

I use a small Garmin with a ball mount on the handle bars of my Savage. Although I rarely find myself lost I still like to have the map references and distance details immediately available
The Garmin was a gift from my family - at first I thought it was a gadget but then I started using it to calculate gas stops etc and it became a very useful tool
Grin

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #4 - 08/08/10 at 07:24:31

I use a small Garmin. I have used a Magellan gps also, but prefer the Garmin. For me the Garmin menu system is better, the refresh rate is faster, and it's easier to read. Ram makes a handle bar mount that is rock solid. It's  been on my S40 and now my c50 without any problems. With the 12v power supply I rigged the Gps is my uber speedometer.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Joe C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/08/10 at 20:47:09

I have an iphone and downloaded the copilot live app.  You can try it free for 30 days and buy the US app for $4.99 or the north america app for $19.99.  I put my headphones on and throw the phone in my pocket and it works like a charm.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #6 - 08/09/10 at 06:40:27

Joe C wrote on 08/08/10 at 20:47:09:
I have an iphone and downloaded the copilot live app.  You can try it free for 30 days and buy the US app for $4.99 or the north america app for $19.99.  I put my headphones on and throw the phone in my pocket and it works like a charm.

I recently got an iPhine, and I love the maps/sat photos that come with it.  I was wondering, do you know if you get the NoAm set, and use it in Canada, is it going to charge an international use rate or something?  I have no idea how they charge for the GPS use, so I'm just trying to learn.

IP Logged
Joe C
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/09/10 at 08:56:59

The only fee you pay is to download the app.  No monthly fees.  You might want to read the fine print before you download the app just to make sure.   Smiley It works great.  I was riding yesterday and at the same time I received a call, got an email, was using the gps and listening the the ipod and no glitches at all.  I didn't answer the call or check the email but all the notifications came through correctly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:28:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle GPS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.