Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Savage S40 Video (Read 171 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

My Savage S40 Video
08/07/10 at 10:52:27

Exhaust sound and engine sound after valves adjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHtGnULMvg

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: My Savage S40 Video
Reply #1 - 08/07/10 at 11:29:23

Thanks a lot - now I wonder if I have too much ticking - I don't hear ANY in your clip.  Mine is only at 2900 miles but at 9 years old I have to wonder what normal is.  I may ride it to work for a guy with some valve adjustment experience to listen to it.

I dread opening it up, like maybe I won't be able to put it back together.  Nobody around me has a Savage and not many have carbs either.   The few MC shops I have talked to, don't give me a good feeling.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 08/07/10 at 12:08:36

It's ticking a little, but it's more of a lashing from the cam actuating the rocker arms. It has to make a little noise, otherwise it's too tight. That sound was with the engine cold. Once it gets hot it's more noisy. That is normal as the parts expand with temperature. On cold start it sounds like it has modern hydraulic valve lifters. I set the gaps at 0.035". Recommended is between 0.003" and 0.005". I like it a little on the tight side. My engine has 13,400 miles down and runs like new. At 1,000 miles after the oil change it is still almost to the top mark on the sight glass. I change oil every 1,500 miles, I don't care if it's recommended to go 3,000 with it. It's just 20 bux. That oil gets dark quickly, and after 1,500 miles it looks like it shouldn't be in there anymore. It uses very very little oil. I once tried to see how much it takes to top it off, and it was a shot glass full. So that is virtually nothing, considered it sees lots of high rpm and high speeds on the superslab. The other day I rode with my wife, about a 80 mile round trip with speeds around 85mph most of the time, and I couldn't see any additional oil consumption. I love this engine. The only thing it does it oozes oil from the valve cover around the spark plug, but I put some high temp sealant in the gap from the outside and it's dry so far. I don't wanna pull the cover off. There was gray sealant before and some of it fell out and that is where it leaked. The bolts were tight so I don't know why it fell out.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #3 - 08/07/10 at 13:38:33

thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump

Bunny thumper!

Cheesy

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/08/10 at 05:11:18

Quote:
On cold start it sounds like it has modern hydraulic valve lifters. I set the gaps at 0.035". Recommended is between 0.003" and 0.005".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frightening at best !
Can we at least hope that all those zeros should have been behind that decimal point ?? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 08/08/10 at 07:42:28

0.0035"

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/08/10 at 07:58:52

Once it gets hot it's more noisy. That is normal as the parts expand with temperature.

Well, lets think about that a bit. Yes, as parts heat up, they change sizes. Things like valve stems grow longer. Thats why exhaust valves have a bigger gap then intakes, because they get hotter & grow longer. The gaps close up some, thats why we MUST have gaps when the engine is cold, or when the valves get hot &^ grow, then they wouldnt close all the way & theyd burn,

If its noisier when its hot, it isnt because the gaps got bigger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/08/10 at 08:54:33

Then why is the gaps to be set the same for intake and exhaust on the Savage?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/08/10 at 18:45:46

Sorry, forgot about that one. The Kawasaki has different settings.. I just got done with that a week ago.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/08/10 at 22:05:10

The intake likely could be less clearance than the exhaust, but their probably using process of simplificaion ? And I'd think the thinner oil is why the engine is noisier when hot.

ralfyguy wrote on 08/08/10 at 08:54:33:

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 08/09/10 at 04:37:53

Routy wrote on 08/08/10 at 22:05:10:
The intake likely could be less clearance than the exhaust, but their probably using process of simplificaion ? And I'd think the thinner oil is why the engine is noisier when hot.

ralfyguy wrote on 08/08/10 at 08:54:33:

Yes when I run 10W-40 the engine is more noisy when hot. That's why I run 20W-50 in the hot summer here.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:31:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Savage S40 Video

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.