Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is there a good top case solution for Savage? (Read 196 times)
Colo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Broomfield, CO
Is there a good top case solution for Savage?
08/06/10 at 07:56:07

I have a 2001 Savage that is all stock.  I do have some leather saddle bags, but I am in search of more storage space.  Has anyone successfully attached a Givi type "hard trunk" or "top case" to the back of their Savages?  

It seems like the real challenge is finding a way to mount it.  I don't have a luggage rack to connect it to.  I don't see anything on the internet built specifically for the Savage to mount a top case.  

My goal is something like this but with a higher quality case:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-luggage/jc-whitney-top-case/

Ideally, I would like to have brakes lights on it too.  I don't want to re-invent the wheel.  If someone has already tackled this project, I would love to here your experience and recommendations.

Thanks,

Colo

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Is there a good top case solution for Savage?
Reply #1 - 08/06/10 at 08:39:41

Yep, we have all kinds of great solutions.  Someone has a Givi, just can't remember who, off the top of my head.  Since you are fairly new here, just hang on, you'll get lots of suggestions!

You don't have the luggage rack on an '01?  I think there is one in The MarketPlace for sale.  But some have made much more extensive ones too....

I have large saddlebags, a fanny-pack wrapped around my driver's backrest and a tool roll on the front.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 08/06/10 at 11:09:22

On the 2 piece seat versions, it is fairly easy to remove the pillion torture pad and using the fender trim bolts mount up a rack from a m'cycle salvage yard and then attached the GIVI mounting plate to that. I've done it to both my bagger and sidecar tug. This puts the weight over the back tire, not behind it and give you a back rest if you do some figuring before you attach the quick detach plate. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 08/06/10 at 21:46:11

Colo,

I have a cheapie trunk you would probably not like, but I have a luggage rack you may be interested in:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278206358/11#11

The luggage rack is strong.....I like it!

My bike is in my signature.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
gsJack
YaBB Newbies

NE Ohio
Reply #4 - 08/07/10 at 13:44:07

Best looking job of mounting a top case on a S40 that I've seen so far is the one done by thumperdan.  Here are the pics from BikePics that show it, it was covered here a while back if you want to search for it.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/thumperdan/06boulevards40/

jcp8832 jcp8832   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/07/10 at 19:22:44

gsJack wrote on 08/07/10 at 13:44:07:
Best looking job of mounting a top case on a S40 that I've seen so far is the one done by thumperdan.  Here are the pics from BikePics that show it, it was covered here a while back if you want to search for it.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/thumperdan/06boulevards40/

Sad to say, but if thumperdan carries any weight of any significance in his trunk, he'd better keep an eye on that Suzuki luggage rack.

I did not have good luck with mine, had several welds break.

I hope he does not have the same problems I had.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is there a good top case solution for Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.