Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bolt Possibly Rubbing Rear Tire (Read 101 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Bolt Possibly Rubbing Rear Tire
08/05/10 at 16:27:11

I had a problematic bolt in the rear fender that was rubbing my rear tire on the left side. I removed said bolt as a temporary fix until a more permanent solution could be found. (Shaving down/new bolts, adjusting rear end)

Here is an image I found in another thread, credit goes to Oldfeller.

The bolts labeled C are the culptrits. (or so I believe) I don't THINK the remaining bolts are rubbing as far as I can tell... but with the tires being the most important part of the bike I can't help but to let it be in the back of my mind and would just feel better about getting more clearance to be sure.

I can't quite grasp why the wheel would be so off center.. I understand a little off is normal. I bought the bike used a month ago with 5,000 miles on it (2001 model) and the tires are the same size as the stock. Never dropped, rims aren't bent. I wouldn't think it should be so off center that it should risk rubbing a bolt.

So what would be the best way to go about fixing this? Preferably I'd like to get the tire further away from the fender, but if that isn't an option or highly impractical then I'm certainly more than willing to take another route.

On a final note, how much would the tire having been rubbed by the bolt hurt its integrity? I had put barely any miles on it before I caught the problem, probably less than a tank of gas worth. The side of the tire where it was rubbing is a little bit shiny and slightly more smooth than the opposing side.. but no noticeable grooves, cuts, or wear.

Thanks in advanced.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bolt Possibly Rubbing Rear Tire
Reply #1 - 08/05/10 at 18:47:54

1st check your alignment, set it up straight and site down the tires, both sides, front and back... straight?
check if your bike tracks straight, find a line in the road and push the bike beside it lining one side of the front tire with the edge of the line, have someone watch to see if it crabs.  repeat on the other side.
2nd, check your spacers, the one on the pulley side is bigger in diameter.
And it could be your fender is bent to one side.

WWW   IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #2 - 08/05/10 at 21:30:36

i had that issue with my vtx1800.  turns out the guy i bought the bike from was 100 lbs soaking wet and i never adjusted the shocks to support my fat a$$.   Grin  try tightening ur shocks to see if that prevents rubbing

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 08/06/10 at 05:59:58

Hashbrown wrote on 08/05/10 at 21:30:36:
i had that issue with my vtx1800.  turns out the guy i bought the bike from was 100 lbs soaking wet and i never adjusted the shocks to support my fat a$$.   Grin  try tightening ur shocks to see if that prevents rubbing

I was thinking shocks first too...  but I could have never said it so comically...   Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 08/06/10 at 21:42:02

Wake,

What size tire ya runnin' back there?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:19:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bolt Possibly Rubbing Rear Tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.