Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Highway bars or forward controls? (Read 206 times)
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Highway bars or forward controls?
08/05/10 at 11:27:01

I bought a 2001 savage a few months ago and am still in the process of making it comfortable for me and am wondering what people think about the choice of highway bars or forward controls for more comfortable leg room....I am not that tall 5'9 but it feels like i am back on my dirtbike when riding for a while and would like to stretch out a bit.  thanks in advance for the help

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Highway bars or forward controls?
Reply #1 - 08/05/10 at 13:55:44

I love  forward controls,.....can't believe what a difference they make. But I've never had hiway bars. They look comfy, but only if I spent a lot of time on the hiway,....less shifting and braking.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #2 - 08/05/10 at 14:44:51

does anyone know if Ed L's forward controls come with the extended linkage for the shifter and brakes?

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/05/10 at 15:37:37

If i recall correctly they do, check eds post in the merchandise section to make sure.

If i had my druthers id druther have hwy bars as foreward controls.
Hwy bars(good ones) beside letting you stretch out a bit offers 'some' protection to your bike if it goes down, controls dont. Dual purpose vs single purpose.
Controls will let you stretch out a bit though AND operate the bike though.
Im 6ft and i only start to feeling cramped on long rides so i can see the hwy bars being my first choice for a mod. Controls later.

Now the thing IS, finding decent hwy bars for the savage....that will fit.
Theres several out there if you can find em, or make your own.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #4 - 08/05/10 at 15:52:29

You can do both.  I bought a set of Ed L's controls(They do come with the extensions for shift & Brake) and I love them, but I wanted to stretch out further(I'm 6'1"), so I designed and fabbed a set of highway peg's and a way to mount them.  I'll try and post up some pic's a little later.

It's a little later, so here's some pic's Smiley

The pegs don't interfere with the brake or shift, and don't make contact with the fender with the forks at full compression.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/05/10 at 16:46:25

ed ls fcs come with all linkages..
i tried both with the oem engine guard sold the hwy pegs to a member here cause i didnt like the lack of clearance from them to the shift and brake pedals...
when i can afford rotation style offset hwy pegs will go that route..
love my fcs did the shorter of the 2 he offers,easy install..tyed them together with some all thread for more ks support...at 5'9" theryre just right for me specially w/ drivers back rest...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #6 - 08/05/10 at 17:11:02

thanks for all the info everyone!  Thumperclone- what seat rest do you have?  been looking at many different ideas on here, still havent decided which one i would go with yet

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #7 - 08/05/10 at 21:28:29

There are some hwy pegs that will mount to the frame itself and i seen some that bolt up to the pegs themselves that interest me greatly.
SUPPOSEDLY both these types will fit the savage without any or with very little retrofitting.

Check out MC Enterprizes.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 08/06/10 at 05:57:11

dv8savagerider wrote on 08/05/10 at 17:11:02:
thanks for all the info everyone!  Thumperclone- what seat rest do you have?  been looking at many different ideas on here, still havent decided which one i would go with yet

I have a Protac driver's backrest.  Love it.   http://www.protac.net/

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #9 - 08/06/10 at 14:13:39

As i dont see one listed for the ls650/s40 babyhog, which one did you buy and retrofit to yours?
It pretty much bolt right up or what??

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/06/10 at 15:21:59

my issue with hiway bars is that they're futher out but generally also higher up and when I want to stetch its my knees that need straighened. Hiways seem to me like they'd allow another position so you arent frozen in one position the whole time but that they dont necessarily equal leg stretch. Depends on the bike and bars though. I was very satisfied with my Ed Ls.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway bars or forward controls?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.