Send Topic Print
Tube or tubeless (Read 282 times)
relic624k
YaBB Newbies

keep on thumping!

west houston, tx
Tube or tubeless
08/04/10 at 12:18:28

ok i am having  a very difficult time trying to find a rear tire tire for my s40.  the pirelli mt66 dont specify if a tube is required and the dunlop 404 as well help fellow riders ant websites you guys recommend?

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Tube or tubeless
Reply #1 - 08/04/10 at 12:34:20

Usually if a motorcycle wheel has wire spokes then a tube is required due to the fact that the wheel isn't sealed ... Any tire that will fit your wheel will work tubeless or not but you will still need a tube unless you seal that wheel up first.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 08/04/10 at 12:36:03

If you have the stock wheels (with spokes), you will need a tube.  I just got a D404 Dunlop and it is tubed.  

I use DennisKirk.com website, because I've bought from them before and I'm familiar with their searches, but when I was researching, I made a spreadsheet for comparison using Dennis Kirk, Tires Unlimited, Bike Bandit (alot of people here love them), and Jake Wilson Tires.  I'm sure that Dennis Kirk notes whether a tube can be used or not.
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/tire/product.jsp?skuId=&store=&catId=&produ...

I ended up buying from a local service shop.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/04/10 at 13:41:33

Most all tubeless tires can be used with a tube.

Your wheel requires a tube.

Both the D404 and mt66 has been used by us with tubes.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/04/10 at 15:45:12

A tubless tire w/ a tube in it runs somewhat hotter temps !
So,.....who cares, unless you're dumb enough to load a tire to max in scorching hot weather. I like tubes in everything,.....except maybe cars. Tubes hold air longer IMO.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/04/10 at 16:12:40

Routy wrote on 08/04/10 at 15:45:12:
Tubes hold air longer IMO.

Maybe true ... But with a tubed tire in the event of a blow out the air is gonna leave the tire much faster than a tubeless that might result in you going down.  

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 08/05/10 at 07:45:19

A couple of possibilities for going tubeless.  The first one also talks about the dark side but you could certainly use the sealing method and stick with an mc tire.
http://www.digitalworkshop.us/bike/Tubeless_DS.pdf

This got a good review in Motorcyclist (I think, I read a couple different mags)  They appear to be aimed at dirt bikes but they do make a size that would fit our front wheels.
http://www.tubliss.com/

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/05/10 at 18:27:45

During a "blowout", tube or tubless, how can air leave a tire any slower than "instantly" ?
Not to ask how a tube tire would loose air slower than a tubless, in even a slower leak situation.

jsarsfield wrote on 08/04/10 at 16:12:40:
Routy wrote on 08/04/10 at 15:45:12:
Tubes hold air longer IMO.

Maybe true ... But with a tubed tire in the event of a blow out the air is gonna leave the tire much faster than a tubeless that might result in you going down.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #8 - 08/05/10 at 21:14:43

Buy the tire you want that fits and stick a tube in it! Pirelli mt66, dunlop 404, Duro ect.
Your not going to be able to heat the thing up enough to matter on a savage Unless you do burnouts.
As to blowouts a TUBED tire if anything will release air slower and go flat slower then a tubeless in all but a catastophic blowout(read BIG hole). Then youve humped the pooch either way...lol
A punctured tube will release air into the tire itself which then has to release the air out the punctureing hole and/or the spoke holes. Slow Leak.

Your primary concerns are weight load, speed index, width and height as well as size.(15/19 in)
Dont sweat a tube in a tubeless tire.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #9 - 08/06/10 at 05:11:07

True, you need a tube in the tire if you're putting it on the stock Savage/S40 wheel.  One advantage to tubeless tires (mounted tubeless on a non-spoke rim) is that a puncture which will cause an instant flat or blow-out in a tube may only cause a slow leak in a tubeless tire, allowing you to not be stranded on the side of the road.  A tubeless tire can also be effectively plugged without taking the tire and wheel off the bike.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 08/06/10 at 07:03:05

I have always been told to use some sort of powder lubricant when installing a tube in a tire. I was originally told to use baby powder (talcum powder). The powder is supposed to reduce friction between the tire and tube and thus reduce chafing and heat. Last time, when I put a new tire on the S40, I used a hefty squirt of powdered graphite. I have no idea whether it really works, but figure it can do little harm.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 08/06/10 at 07:17:23

Charon wrote on 08/06/10 at 07:03:05:
I have always been told to use some sort of powder lubricant when installing a tube in a tire. I was originally told to use baby powder (talcum powder). The powder is supposed to reduce friction between the tire and tube and thus reduce chafing and heat. Last time, when I put a new tire on the S40, I used a hefty squirt of powdered graphite. I have no idea whether it really works, but figure it can do little harm.

Would that not cause the rubber to dry out faster??  Honest question, as I have no idea.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 08/06/10 at 07:34:49

I never even thought about that, but I don't see why it would. I don't use much powder, to start with. I just put a couple of shakes of powder (or a squirt of graphite since I bought a squirt bottle of it) in the tire, then wipe it around the inside of the tire with a rag or my hand. When I have taken tire/tube assemblies apart after many years, there has been no sign I could detect of any drying or stiffness of the rubber.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/06/10 at 08:17:46

Charon is correct ... When installing a tube in a tire you should always talc the tire ... Baby powder is perfect even though tire talc is sold.

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/rema_tire_talc.htm

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/06/10 at 08:35:23

I've change a lot of tube tires never used anything,Back when I was young all cars had tubes in them I never saw a garage use any kind of powder.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:28:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tube or tubeless

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.