Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear brake adjustment question: (Read 149 times)
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear brake adjustment question:
08/03/10 at 20:40:37

Frustrated and feel like an idiot...

So, is there any other place to adjust the rear brake tension besides the screw at end of the brake cable?  I've tightened and loosened all the way and it's still sloppy as heck.  I tried searching for this in the "search" section but couldn't find any info.  Please help.  Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear brake adjustment question:
Reply #1 - 08/03/10 at 21:01:15

did you just have the rear wheel off?

maybe you didn't put the swingarm tab in the brake hub slot correctly.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/04/10 at 05:35:47

Quote:
and it's still sloppy as heck.
---------------------------------------------
Thats a swingin description....
Does the brake work or don't it ?

There is no other adjustment, except for the positioning of the brake pedal to match your foot position.
There is an adjustment for the stoplite switch however, which is adjusted only after the brake adjustment is correct, and then only if needed to make the stoplite work correctly in conjunction w/ the brake pedal.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/04/10 at 06:23:57

I did have the rear wheel off recently.  I put new brake pads in, new tires, etc.  You mentioned the swing arm tab?  I'm assuming that is the little spring/coil that fits into the hub?  I'm positive that I got that into place correctly.  

After installing the new brake pads/shoes, should I have re-installed the swing arm in a direction that is directly up and down...maybe intstalled it more pointing towards the rear of the bike to allow for more tension on the pedal?  

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/04/10 at 06:50:35

You know the arm on the brakes on a bicycle that hooks to thestrap that goes around the frame of the bike, right? The bikes with the coaster brakes, not hand brakes, okay? Something has to hold the brake shoes when the brakes are used, or theyll just go round in a circle. Theres an arm on the brake shoe holder with a slot in it that slips up on atab on the inside of the swingarm.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/04/10 at 07:13:03

Hard to believe you took it apart without making notes or taking some digital pictures to aid in reassembly. I suggest you go find another Savage and actually LOOK at how it goes together. Or, perish the thought, you could actually BUY a Clymer manual and follow the directions. Don't do the "free download" because that is literally stealing money from the author.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/04/10 at 07:32:10

Bobber, when you reinstall the wheel on the right side of the bike there is a long black arm that is part of the frame (it's what the wheel attaches to) that is your swingarm (one on each side of the bike). The right side of the swingarm has a welded black tab on it, the brake hub has a raised notched area on it (like an arm), those have to be slid together otherwise don't ride the bike!!!
if that is all good then the actual brake arm (what the cable attaches to at the brake drum) should be in a position that is between the 2 scribe marks on the right of the brake drum...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 08/04/10 at 07:43:36

The only way to get off the hook here, is tell us that someone else took it apart. Otherwise you have commited the unpardonable ! Sad

bobber_prjct_2010 wrote on 08/04/10 at 06:23:57:
I did have the rear wheel off recently.  I put new brake pads in, new tires, etc.  You mentioned the swing arm tab?  I'm assuming that is the little spring/coil that fits into the hub?  I'm positive that I got that into place correctly.  

After installing the new brake pads/shoes, should I have re-installed the swing arm in a direction that is directly up and down...maybe intstalled it more pointing towards the rear of the bike to allow for more tension on the pedal?  

Thanks for the help.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/04/10 at 08:49:21

Ok, my last post should have said "BRAKE ARM" instead of swing arm.  I know what the swing arm is.  I hadn't had my coffee yet this morning.

Routy - Thanks for the insight.  Moving forward, just so everyone knows....someone else took the bike apart.   Wink

Bubba - Thanks for your insight as well.  That is all I was looking for.  I just need to put the brake arm between the 2 scribe marks on the drum.

Charon - I'll keep that in mind...

Justin_0 - Thanks.  I'm not sure what I was thinking when someone said swing arm "tab".  I know what the swing arm is, but haven't heard the term swing arm tab.  If that is the proper term for it, my bad.  Brake drum and swing arm tab are good to go.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I'm sure I just need to adjust the BRAKE ARM ...not the swing arm.   Roll Eyes     I'm not an idiot.  I promise.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/04/10 at 08:52:44

bobber_prjct_2010 wrote on 08/04/10 at 08:49:21:
I'm not an idiot.  I promise.

What?!? you think you're better than us?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #10 - 08/04/10 at 09:01:24

verslagen1 wrote on 08/04/10 at 08:52:44:
bobber_prjct_2010 wrote on 08/04/10 at 08:49:21:
I'm not an idiot.  I promise.

What?!? you think you're better than us?   Grin

+1... Grin everyone here is confused at one time or another...
P.S. the brake arm should be lined up to the scribe mark towards the front of the bike...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/04/10 at 09:13:44

Bubba - right now, it's lined directly with the scribe mark towards the front of the bike.  Oh well....I'll figure it out.  

Am I being too picky about the brake feel?  To me, it should be tighter feeling that it is right now.  I really have to crank down on it to get a response.  Don't get me wrong, it works, it's just not at stiff as I'd like.  

How tight does your brake feel?  Not that you'd want to, but are you able to lock up your rear brake?  I don't think I could even if I had to...

Anyways...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/04/10 at 09:18:17

How far can you move the arm onthe brake drum by hand?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/04/10 at 09:18:58

Brake petals are kind of stiff,But I think thats the way they should be.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 08/04/10 at 09:22:32

When I got my bike the brake arm mark was actually in front of the scribe mark.
I replaced both ft and rear pads when I got new tires. I lined up the scribe marks to the way it was supposed to be.
Right now, I have the cable tightened pretty close it it's limit and the brake still feels kinda mushy...I can lock it up if I stomp on it but may set the arm forward a bit just to get back a more solid feel to it.

I don't want it too tight just cuz I don't want the rear rubbing constantly against the drum. The drum was full of brake dust when I did the replacement and it squealed like a banshee...

Anyone else want to chime in???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:27:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear brake adjustment question:

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.