Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starting problems - '97 (Read 146 times)
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting problems - '97
08/03/10 at 15:39:46

I just bought the bike and rode it around for a day, ran fine. Went to go on a longer ride and popped the clutch, stalling. I attempted to start it, but not enough juice in the battery. I tried to start it by running, popping the clutch... No go. I then charged the battery and it still wouldn't start. I disconnected the fuel line from the petcock. No fuel whatsoever in the ON or PRI position. I then adjusted the spring inside the petcock and now fuel is flowing in both positions. It still won't start. It cranks over but seems like there is not enough juice. It might be the coil, but the coil is definitely sending spark, possibly not enough? I have a new coil on order, but would really like to solve the problem. Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starting problems - '97
Reply #1 - 08/03/10 at 16:49:15

Not a lot to go by...
Let's start with the battery...
How do you know you charged it?  volt meter?
A bad batter may have enough juice to turn it over but not enough to lite it up.  you need over 10 volts while cranking.

a little info on the petcock, it sounds like you've corrupted the spring so that it's on all the time.  keep an eye on the oil level.  fuel is known to creep into there when the carb floods while sitting.  If you can't get in back to where on won't flow gas while the engine is off, convert to manual petcock or get a raptor petcock (search for it there's plenty)

Another thing about this new2you bike, How many miles on the clock?  you might need to do a cam chain inspection.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 08/03/10 at 16:53:42

Start by trying a KNOWN GOOD BATTERY. You could use a set of jumper cables and your car battery. Make sure you have fuel in the tank. Fuel should flow in PRIme, but not in ON or REServe unless the engine is running (assuming a stock petcock). If it ran for a day or so already, it is a fair bet there isn't anything substantially wrong with the engine, carburetor, or ignition. A weak battery will allow the engine to crank, but will not properly fire the ignition.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/03/10 at 19:10:41

I charged the battery with a battery charger and I checked it with a volt meter. The petcock is working exactly how you explained. Full flow on Pri and nothing when in the other positions. I have spark from the coil with the plug out of the engine but it looks weak to me. Not sure where to go next. Help!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/03/10 at 20:20:28

what's the history of the bike?
what mod's if any?
are you at sea level or high up?

WWW   IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/04/10 at 07:12:28

Bike is a '97 with 6600 miles. No modifications whatsoever. The elevation is about 1100 ft above sea level.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/04/10 at 07:16:46

Neverseen a coil fail on these. It could, but usually, the no start is a low battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/04/10 at 07:27:45

I just talked with the local shop that specializes in Suzuki. They said it is most likely a carburetor issue. Hopefully I can get it over there today.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/04/10 at 07:52:41

Put some Sea Foam in gas tank to clean the carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #9 - 08/04/10 at 09:09:06

when you tried to push-start, did you remember to hit the starter when you popped the clutch?  Essential, and the battery must have enough juice to operate the decompression solenoid, which is probably does.

sounds like a dying battery that will not charge to full capacity or start the bike without push-start.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/04/10 at 09:11:45

Yes, I did attempt a push-start in the right way. The battery was charged enough to the point that I could hear it bubbling away four feet from it. It also failed to start multiple times when attempting push starting.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/04/10 at 09:21:43

Then, Id pull the rubber off the carb intake & squirt something flamable in it & try again & see if itll even try. Paying a mechanic is pretty high & buying tools & spending a couple hours cleaning acarb is cheap & ya learn stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/04/10 at 09:21:47

I have to ask since I know initially how hard it is to push start...

Did you get it to turn over or did the rear lock up?

WWW   IP Logged
SS65297
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/04/10 at 09:24:54

The rear didn't lock up on me, I was in 3rd gear, but little by little the battery started to die. I have some Seafoam that I used from my first bike, a Rebel 250. I might try that later.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 08/04/10 at 11:05:50

Do you not have any way of jumping the MC from a known good battery - or did I miss where you tried this. What was the voltage of the battery after you took it off the charger. What did the voltage level drop to when you attempted to start the battery? If you know this information, you can probably rule out the battery.

Even though your local shop says carb (probably only because this is what they see the most) on a MC that was running and then had the battery drained (because of fuel issues or being left switched on, or whatever) and then wouldn't start I would suspect the battery first, last, etc etc until I proved to myself it was not the battery. Also, just because a battery is new doesn't mean it is any good. I recently bought a new battery and fought it until I eventually determined that it had a bad cell. I tried to get my money back only to be told by the manufacturer (after the on-line retailer said they only provide whatever warrantee the manufacturer provides) that there was no warrantee on this line of batteries "because they have so much trouble with them."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:21:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting problems - '97

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.