Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Coil or Ignitor? (Read 277 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Coil or Ignitor?
Reply #15 - 08/03/10 at 15:11:26

I spent a long time working in electronics. The only truly reliable way to test a complex assembly such as the ignition box is substitution. Put in a new one - if the system works, the old one was bad.

Even back in the "old days" when I spent a lot of time testing vacuum tubes (the electronic kind, not hoses) we were told that tube testers would identify bad tubes, but they could never tell you for sure you had a good tube. The only sure test was whether it worked in the circuit.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
LWRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/10/10 at 11:28:28

Just to followup--I finally received a new igniter yesterday and today took the bike outside to try and start it. It started right up--after I remembered I had to hold the clutch as I had fixed the wiring to make all that stuff now work. I wish I had remebered that before I had pulled the tank and saddle once again to check the wiring. duh!

I have quite a bit of backfiring and also may have an exhaust leak at the exhaust port connection. I also have quite a bit of oil around the exhaust along with the resultant smoke. I guess I need to pull the head cover and fix that plug.

I am going to try to take it out aroudn the block tonight if the weather cooperates and see how it runs thorugh the gears. Then back in the garage to do that plug repair and perhaps an exhaust gasket replacement.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 08/11/10 at 20:34:59

Congrats!

Keep the updates coming!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
LWRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/12/10 at 05:02:22

I did a test ride yesterday and though I had backfiring and coughing/hesitation when applying throttle, after a few blocks that all smoothed out and went away. I was able to test all four gears and they all worked flawlessly as did the brakes, speedo, and all the electrical. It even idled nicely with my hand off the throttle, once I set the idle set screw up a bit. When I got back, the throttle on idle was high, so I guess once it got over its little hissy fit it was running more efficiently and I needed to lower that idle set screw back to normal.

Thumperclone, thans for those testing numbers; it sure helped me solve this issue.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:20:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Coil or Ignitor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.