oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Starting issues
Reply #45 - 11/28/12 at 15:36:07

Rhyno wrote on 11/28/12 at 13:10:54:
Sorry guys took some time off of the project I was getting frustrated. Lol and no not yet she is still down. I am taking in CDI to shop tomorrow to have them check it.  I'll let you know from there cause everything else hasn't worked to this point.  Uggggh.  Lol  still no spark at the plug all else checks out ok.    Question should the back of the CDI be smooth or bumpy? Mines bumpy.  No metal sticking thru butt still very bumpy

Okay, just so I understand what's going on. At this point the starter is cranking the engine and your ONLY problem is no spark. Is that correct?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 11/28/12 at 19:51:48

No metal sticking thru butt still very bumpy

No metal sticking thru butt is a good thing,

Who can know if No Spark is their only problem if theyve got no spark?

A guy could have a hole in a piston & not know it till he gets spark & it still wont run,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #47 - 11/29/12 at 06:10:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/28/12 at 19:51:48:
No metal sticking thru butt still very bumpy

No metal sticking thru butt is a good thing,

Who can know if No Spark is their only problem if theyve got no spark?

A guy could have a hole in a piston & not know it till he gets spark & it still wont run,

Point taken. What I was getting at though is that the original issue was that his starter wasn't cranking the engine. I just wanted to make sure that issue was fixed before moving on to why the bike wont run.

Reading back through the posts I'm a little confused as to what is actually working and what isn't.

IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #48 - 11/29/12 at 08:21:31

oldNslow wrote on 11/28/12 at 15:36:07:
Rhyno wrote on 11/28/12 at 13:10:54:
Sorry guys took some time off of the project I was getting frustrated. Lol and no not yet she is still down. I am taking in CDI to shop tomorrow to have them check it.  I'll let you know from there cause everything else hasn't worked to this point.  Uggggh.  Lol  still no spark at the plug all else checks out ok.    Question should the back of the CDI be smooth or bumpy? Mines bumpy.  No metal sticking thru butt still very bumpy

Okay, just so I understand what's going on. At this point the starter is cranking the engine and your ONLY problem is no spark. Is that correct?

It Has the ability to turn the motor if jumping all electrical. The motor does turn if i hook the battery staight to the starter. otherwise no just hitting the electric start swictch all i get is clicks from the selenoid and the decomp unit activating. But in jumping from the battery to  the motor does turn and i get no spark. Per all the suggestions i have checked all the components of the electrical system and concluded that all are fine or within specs per Clymer and my 3 great mentors of this site. I only ask about the CDI because i had a burnt regulator/rectifier on my CBR that when I puchased new was completely smooth on the bottom. And I know they are not the same thing But my Burnt Rectifier was completly bumpy on the bottom of the unit llike a golf ball. So I was guessing that the CDI looking the same could possibly be Bad as well.

Thanks again guys for all your help. Just in case i forgot to tell you.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #49 - 11/29/12 at 09:50:21

Ok, based on your last reply the only thing we know for sure is that the starter is apparently operable but the original problem still isn't fixed. When you hit the start button with the ignition switch on, the cut off switch on and the clutch pulled in the starter solenoid clicks once and the starter doesn't spin.

I hate to say this but I think you need to go back and re-check the starter solenoid. There is a procedure in the Clymers manual using an ohmmeter but for a quick check do this. Dissconect the cable from the stud on the starter. Set your voltmeter to the 20VDC range (or whatever is close on your particular meter. Clip the positive voltmeter lead to the starter cable and the negitive voltmeter lead to a good ground - one of the starter mounting bolts should work. Hit the start switch and read the voltage on the meter. It should be pretty close to whatever the battery voltage is. If the meter reads zero then the solenoid is not working.

Also. If you are jumping the starter with an external battery - you car battery I think you said - I'm not sure the fact that the spark plug is not firing tells us anything. All you're doing is running the starter the same as if you had it off the bike and on a workbench.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:36:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.