Starting issues (Read 628 times)
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Starting issues
07/31/10 at 20:23:20

Ok all here is the skinny. I have replaced my starter with 1 from ebay thinking that was the problem after i replaced the the mian gaskets. The bike started once and was out of time. I reset timing by clymer's specifications and instructions. and now the starter selenoid and the decomp selenoid are activating but the motor does not turn over. the starter doesn't turn over. I just get clicking noises. I have rechecked timing and decomp has been readjusted just to be safe all electrical components are testing per clymer. so here is my question is there a way to test the starter like you can a car. take it off and take it to autozone lol. can it be jumped or is it just trash now?   Is there something else I should check before buying a starter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Starting issues
Reply #1 - 07/31/10 at 20:33:51

1st, did you have the stator cover off?
there's a washer that jumps off before you get a look at it and most people put it back on the wrong shaft, locking up the starter.

2, you can operate the decomp lever with a screwdriver.  and if it turns over, than that was it.

3, timing isn't adjustable so what do you mean?

WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #2 - 08/01/10 at 07:24:52

Try push-start.   battery voltage?   Water level?

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/01/10 at 07:28:54

You could pull the plug & see if itll spin over with the starter. Be a good time to do the PLug Door mod.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/01/10 at 08:16:58

Start w/ load testing the battery. At $16.99, no excuse for everyone not to have one
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=battery+load+t...

Then clean all connections
Then connect the starter directly to the/a battery (jumper cables)
Then remove the starter and connect directly to a battery
If all this is ok, check the engine ....seizure for why it won't turn

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #5 - 08/04/10 at 20:03:18

ok guys, the timing i was refering to is the motor timing i didn't align the timing chain right the first time i put the motor back together,  the battery voltage is as it should be at 12-13 volts. fresh charge. havent tried to push start didn't think it was possible will give it a try. and the motor itself doesn't turn over at all. i get a clicking from the decomp seleniod and from the starter seleniod. but nothing else. starter doesn't turn and neither does the motor. I get no spark on the spark plug when tring to test spark. but I don't think I would if nothering is turning to provide spark.

IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #6 - 08/04/10 at 20:04:59

Routy wrote on 08/01/10 at 08:16:58:
Start w/ load testing the battery. At $16.99, no excuse for everyone not to have one
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=battery+load+t...

how would one connect the sterter to the battery. starter has only one post. not place to put second connection.

IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #7 - 08/04/10 at 20:05:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/01/10 at 07:28:54:
You could pull the plug & see if itll spin over with the starter. Be a good time to do the PLug Door mod.

What is the plug door mod. is it in the forums?

IP Logged
LWRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/05/10 at 13:10:19

Rhyno wrote on 08/04/10 at 20:04:59:
Routy wrote on 08/01/10 at 08:16:58:

how would one connect the sterter to the battery. starter has only one post. not place to put second connection.

Hot is the starter terminal, ground is the engine frame (you can use the starter mounting bolt heads).

IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #9 - 10/18/12 at 17:57:48

Okay Starting over with this post the bike is a 2001 it has 8k in miles. I put a new starter in it I have tried to jump it from a car and I get a spark and nothing, I can turn the motor manually the stAtor cover was not removed, that I did not test. I tested the solenoid, and the battery and the CID box. Battery is over 12v using an multimeter. It doesn't drop under a load because the starter never turns. The decomp solenoid activates and I get the starter selenoid clicks one time.  But nothing else happens. No mods. I did try to push start it a few years back on the original posting but not any close by hills to help with that. I haven't checked the spark plug although that is new as well but if nothing turns over the coil won't generate spark will it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 10/18/12 at 20:51:43

Bypass all switches & wiring, get the plug out, so the decomp isnt needed. Pull the hot wire off the starter & put a wire under the nut, hook a hot wire to it, then, strike a ground on the starter motor. Prove the starter Works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #11 - 10/21/12 at 09:56:01

Ok will try that today thanks Justin,

I Tried what you told me Justin, and nothing happened. I took the starter out and hooked it to my cars battery and it engaged. so where do i go from here, oh i have 2 extra starters lol i tried the ones i was told were bad and they engaged as well, i took a socket and was able to turn the motor by hand pretty easily so its not locked up either?????

« Last Edit: 10/21/12 at 16:54:18 by Rhyno »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 10/21/12 at 17:23:32

NOw, you put a volt meter on the hot wire that feeds the starter & Hit the GO button..
Or a test lite,,

Anyone else have an idea? Ive been busy all day & Im about scorched mentally..

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #13 - 10/22/12 at 19:54:09

You mentioned you were in the engine.  Forget the starter for a moment.  Pull the Spark Plug and see if the engine will turn over two full revolutions by hand.  Also make sure you've got the correct (length) spark plug.   If all is good, double check the starter wiring, especially the Battery Ground.

IP Logged
Rhyno
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greenwood, IN
Reply #14 - 11/01/12 at 13:19:19

ok guys i tested the starter and all is good, the starter does turn the motor, i have had to use a car battery. the selonod still engages. Could the CDI be bad, or maybe the rectifier. Just some thoughts i hooked everything back up and i recieved the same problem mentioned before. Starter is good, Battery is good too, selenoid clicks.  

I retried to test starter on the bike with everything hooked up andit still just clicks, i accidentally left the cdi unplugged and still same outcoome, does that mean CDi is bad? or is there an underlying problem.
I will continue to troubleshoot using manual. any other ideas would be helpfull

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:26:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.