Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
bobbin' with some BCB stuff (Read 1319 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Re: bobbin' with some BCB stuff
Reply #15 - 08/01/10 at 12:37:02

i think i quoted the wrong person on that last post. i was replying about the baffle

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #16 - 08/02/10 at 19:13:16

ok here's some pics of what i've finished so far...exhaust, lights, seat, fender removed, bike painted. carbs got rejetted again too. i was way lean on a 52.5 pilot and 150 main so i went up to a 55 pilot with bleed holes and a 152.5 main. i used to have to hold WOT while i started my bike and now i simply hold the clutch and push the button. i only have my mix screw about 1/8 turn out so it may be a little rich in there but for now it's running great.

the exhaust is great. i feel that it has improved my performance and sounds waaaay better. it's actually pretty quiet on the highway. it's definitely not too loud. the seat is super comfy as well.

i was going kind of for a similar look of an old BSA M20 google it and let me know how i'm doing

i still need to put on some handlebars and a trailer fender cut really short. the liscence plate is illegal for now(not lit) cause i haven't put the bracket on yet. more pics to come as i make improvments..thanks for all your help guys!

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #17 - 08/02/10 at 20:00:53

I'd be proud to ride that bike as it it sits now  Cool

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #18 - 08/02/10 at 20:05:40

It looks great.  Nice color.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #19 - 08/02/10 at 20:05:40

i am very happy to ride it right now. it's just such a fun process to transform my bike and make it original. i haven't seen another savage in el paso, much less a savage bobber so it turns quite a few heads and feels perfect underneath me. best of all, i don't think i've even put $3000 into this bike yet.

IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #20 - 08/03/10 at 06:47:17

What a great look for a bobber, I like the old style bikes and I think you have really captured some of that feeling. The colors are perfect, Can't wait till I can start learning a bit more about mechanics and find time to Bob mine.... Smiley

And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at
morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet
you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-- T.S. Eliot
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #21 - 08/03/10 at 07:34:39

so question on the painting of the tank.  did you rattle can it or get it painted professionally?  if you rattle canned it, how easy/how long was it to get the old paint off and prime and get the new paint on?

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
stevene
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW FL & SW MI
Reply #22 - 08/03/10 at 07:44:28

Sorry to be late to the bobbin' party.  I'm building a CB500T cafe racer, hanging out at caferacer.net and dotheton.com - and not giving SuzukiSavage.com the attention deserved.

I'll second (or third) the props for Lance at BCB.  He's created ingenious engineering solutions to bobbing our Savage, and produces high quality products and terrific customer service.  Five stars!

His rear fender kit includes a replacement, machined rear axle, long enough to snug in the rear wheel (of course) but also to hold rear fender struts.  Very clever.

A few weekends ago I won first place Best Metric at a ride-in bike show here in southwest Michigan.  Several Harley dudes actually asked: "what did you do with the other cylinder..."

Two pics of the bob-job.  Color is British Racing Green, a fifties/sixties favorite for Jags, Healeys, MGs, Lotus:

Here's a 'vision' of the cafe racer I'm working toward.  Tank, seat, headlight bucket coming from Benjie's Cafe Racer (see here http://www.benjiescaferacer.com/home.html ); shocks, pipes, rear sets coming from Omar's DTR (see here http://www.omarsdtr.com/index.html ):

The bobber and (still under construction) cafe are happily coexisting in the shop - at least, so far.

Best-

stevene

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #23 - 08/03/10 at 08:19:12

stevene, can i ask how much that pinstriping job was to do.  im looking to do a similar design on my bobber tank.

aatif96   IP Logged
stevene
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW FL & SW MI
Reply #24 - 08/03/10 at 10:46:43

Hashbrown wrote on 08/03/10 at 08:19:12:
stevene, can i ask how much that pinstriping job was to do.  im looking to do a similar design on my bobber tank.

H-Brown:

I had my tank, fenders & side covers painted by a local shop in Florida, mixing the PPG formula for British Racing Green I was after.  His pin stripe 'guy' did the old school, hot rod striping on the tank top - freehand, no tape.  The key was to clear coat the tank several times after paint; then lightly sand the clear; do the striping; then several clears to finish.

The striper was an old guy (like me!) that had fond memories of the old hot rod days.  I gave him several pics of examples, but also gave him a free hand to make his own design, just creatively using the 'triangular' space between the bottom of the speedo and the front of the seat.

His fee: $60 (!)  I had three times that in my pocket, unsure of what the final bill would be...

Find a sentimental older dude to do your job.  I doubt you'll get the bargain I did, but you'll likely be very happy with his work.

Best-

stevene

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #25 - 08/03/10 at 11:42:58

wow thats a steal for custom pinstriping.  thanks buddy i appreciate it

aatif96   IP Logged
daedalus
YaBB Newbies

W.Mass
Reply #26 - 08/03/10 at 12:52:13

On the cheap (tho admittedly not as cool as knowing a pinstriper) lowbrowcustoms.com has pinstriping decals starting at $5...

'95 Savage, mystery saddle, highway bars, bags, tkat, gaiters, (Big Crank, Raptor, verslavy)
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #27 - 08/04/10 at 02:42:55

Great looking bikes guys. I'm not usually into the bobber thing, but your bikes have got me to thinking...
First rate jobs.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #28 - 08/04/10 at 07:44:54

RTC, do you find the seat is positioned pretty much the same as stock? I've been thinking the springer seat may give the couple of inches of leg room I like. I was trying to avoid the forward controls. Right now, if I slide back on the stock seat a couple inches it feels right.
thx

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #29 - 08/04/10 at 15:32:39

Bubba wrote on 08/04/10 at 07:44:54:
RTC, do you find the seat is positioned pretty much the same as stock? I've been thinking the springer seat may give the couple of inches of leg room I like. I was trying to avoid the forward controls. Right now, if I slide back on the stock seat a couple inches it feels right.
thx

that's hard to say. i know that it positions me better so that i am not sliding forward but i can't say that it makes for more room. it is pretty comfortable. i got the small sized seat which is actually a medium size compared to the small they used to offer at BCB a large one might be more comfortable for some but i don't think it would look right on our bike. it works good for me...70" 160lbs

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:21:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bobbin' with some BCB stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.