Send Topic Print
Basic Mods (Read 543 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Basic Mods
07/31/10 at 18:50:30

What are the basic modifications one should make to a s40.? I got the big crank ,Tkat ,backrest ,jetted carb.is there anything else you really ought to do if the bike is running fine? Thanks

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Basic Mods
Reply #1 - 07/31/10 at 19:33:34

HD muffler,... Raptor petcock,... K/N filter,... seat lift...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/31/10 at 19:37:00

To my understanding you don't really need any modifications as they are to make the bike more personalized to your liking.As for me, I have the Super Trapp pipe to make it louder so I can hear my engine to know when to shift as I ride with my husband and my son on their Harleys& of  course had to rejet the carbs with the muffler change,Superbrace fork brace because I liked the looks of it (and really liked how the bike handled after we put it on!),saddlebags because I'm a girl & you know how we girls are! and of Course my gremlin bell to help keep me safe on the road!I would really like a backrest because I think they look cool but hubby says I don't need on as I won't be riding with passengers but we'll see.I'm still working on him for that!
Smiley

IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/31/10 at 19:41:44

Forgot K&N filter because hubby put them in all our bikes Embarrassed

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/31/10 at 20:15:34

If I wanted a hot rod, I'da bought one.
IMO, these bike don't need any mods if their running right.
Relieving the exhaust a little ain't gonna hurt anything, neither is correcting a lean condition if one exists. Other than that, I think Suzuki
did it right.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #5 - 07/31/10 at 21:41:19

take off anything and everything not serving a mechanical purpose Smiley

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/01/10 at 00:28:48

Only one you should...nay...NEED to do eventually is get a verslavy modified camchain tensioner. Or i geuss you COULD just change your cam chain twice as often as you need to and keep a constant eye on it but IMO thats a waste of money, effort, and time in the long run.
After that...(assuming you are starting with a bone stock brand new machine) rejet the carb. After that Raptor petcock. At that point all significant weak points in the design have been addressed and you're free to mod for pure entertainment.

IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #7 - 08/01/10 at 04:53:23

as a new rider and new to bikes, period - why should the petcock need changing?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/01/10 at 05:39:53

I don't know I've had a lot of bikes and never had to replace any.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 08/01/10 at 07:04:17

Ditto....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/01/10 at 07:27:31

Ithink the ? was " What d I need to do to avoid problems?". If that was the intent of the poster, then, yea, a petcock swap to raptor would eliminate a weak point, as Burn pointed out. A busted diaphragm, not identified soon enough, & a crank case loaded with fuel, could cost a guy an engine. Its a bit scary, knowing how many have lost a diaphragm. So far, no one has thinned their oil out & ruined an engine from it, have they?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 08/01/10 at 07:39:58

There are a lot of people who complain about the petcock. Those who have no problems don't comment, so we have no real idea about the percentage of failures, nor of the ages of the petcocks when (if) they fail. I'd leave it alone until there are problems.

The can chain tensioner seems to be another weak point. But the same comments as above apply.

To me, there is no such thing as a "Basic Mod." As I see it, essentially all the mods written about here are for comfort (subjective) or appearance (also subjective). The Big Crank is no more than a replacement battery, which hardly qualifies as a mod. Exhaust changes are mostly for appearance or "better sound (mine is louder than yours)." Carb mods are usually not supported by more than anecdotal evidence (I changed something and I think it runs better).

Now that I have gotten all the "modders" upset, I'll point out that it is YOUR bike and YOUR money, and you are free to do whatever you like to it. Just be prepared for the loss of resale value that comes with a "non-stock" bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/01/10 at 07:53:17

I think a lot of the petcock problems come from bikes that are kept out in the weather, hoses same way,My bikes have always been kept in a garage,Never had to replace a hose either.Morning moisture and afternoon heat day in and day out can cause corrosion.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 08/01/10 at 07:59:35

Charon wrote on 08/01/10 at 07:39:58:
Just be prepared for the loss of resale value that comes with a "non-stock" bike.

The bad news.... these bikes don't have any resale value... stock or not....
The good news... that frees you up to make the bike exactly how you want...

PS,.. nobody thinks the petcock is a problem, 'till the petcock has a problem....
... as problems go,... this one gets a lot of posts and is often misdiagnosed...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/01/10 at 08:01:22

Charon wrote on 08/01/10 at 07:39:58:
There are a lot of people who complain about the petcock. Those who have no problems don't comment, so we have no real idea about the percentage of failures, nor of the ages of the petcocks when (if) they fail. I'd leave it alone until there are problems.

The can chain tensioner seems to be another weak point. But the same comments as above apply.

To me, there is no such thing as a "Basic Mod." As I see it, essentially all the mods written about here are for comfort (subjective) or appearance (also subjective). The Big Crank is no more than a replacement battery, which hardly qualifies as a mod. Exhaust changes are mostly for appearance or "better sound (mine is louder than yours)." Carb mods are usually not supported by more than anecdotal evidence (I changed something and I think it runs better).

Now that I have gotten all the "modders" upset, I'll point out that it is YOUR bike and YOUR money, and you are free to do whatever you like to it. Just be prepared for the loss of resale value that comes with a "non-stock" bike.

Sounds like a pink slip chalenge to me. I'd ride Lancers Rexagainst yourstock macheeene mang!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:24:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Basic Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.