Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
S40 on the freeway, for long drives...... (Read 318 times)
musicdorian
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

S40 on the freeway, for long drives......
07/30/10 at 14:05:27

OK dudes, I talked to a service manager, who in all sincerity, told me that the S40 will have it's engine lifespan reduced by commuting on the freeway for lengthy distances (he mentioned a case where a guy commuted 90 miles, a day, round trip.)  He said that the engine works too hard at freeway speeds, and that this bike was designed for lower speed (AKA around town.)  I told him that I didn't even shift into 5th gear until I got up around 60-65 mph, so why wouldn't this bike be capable of lenthy freeway rides, with ease?  I mentioned that the suspension and weight of the bike would be more of a limiting use than engine capability.  Please chime in on this one.  I could be totally wrong, but it seems to me that this bike is perfectly capable of 65 mph journeys on the highway.  I'm not interested in getting into contest with this service manager.  He simply told me his sincere opinion.  I'd like to find out for myself, and for him (if he is interested) if there is any validity to his position on this issue.  I'll look forward to you'all's opinions on this one.  Thank yeeeew !

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Re: S40 on the freeway, for long drives......
Reply #1 - 07/30/10 at 14:25:42

its possible i guess, but if you take good care of her with regular maintenences you should be fine.  i know those issues were with the 80's models but with the 5 gear i think you would be fine.  plus there are plenty of people with savages that have over 20k miles and are running fine...lets face it you realy dont ride 20k miles around town.  not sure if the service manager gets any bumps for selling you into somthing more expensive.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/30/10 at 14:43:25

There does seem to be more trouble with this bike than other Jap bikes even smaller cc bikes I don't think your service guy is lying to you It is more of a backroad bike,One thing I think it turns more rpm than it should for freeway driving.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/30/10 at 14:58:02

My daily commute consists of a 25 mile blitz on the superslab.  About 1/3 is 30 to 50 mph balence at traffic speeds.   Grin

I have a '96 that I got at 16k miles and ran it to 46k.  cam chain wear to fully extended at 22k, verslavied and getting there at 46k.  clutch cam failure.  debating rebuild or repair and continue, but definitely going to replace the cam chain.

Now riding a '02 engine in a '88 frame.  verslavied at ~20k, now about 33k.

Am I maxed out? no.  On a 80° day, I'll measure the oil temp when I get home, 175° is typical.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/30/10 at 15:53:02

Hummmmmm, been here a year and all I've read is how....for the most part, this is one of the more dependable motorcycles around.

Will they run longer at 50mph than at 75 ?? Thats a no brainer ! And you show me 1 engine that won't ! You can't do it.

Believe anything you want, but by now, I know several people that put these bikes on the freeways every day, and in reality, I believe they are more dependable than some of the most popular bikes on the road today.  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/30/10 at 16:01:17

The trouble am talking about is what I hear on here.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/30/10 at 17:11:15

I have done 570 miles in a day, 510 miles the second day.  That was on a tour.  Three years ago and the bike is still running.   The LS650 does JUST FINE doing 65-70 mph on the superslab.  But I do admit I only have 30,000 miles.   Actually I understand that riding less than 5 mile rides are much harder in an engine's life.

I figure I have a good five-ten years left for my Savage.  Not to mention that *IF* I do and kill it, I can get a good used low mile S40 for only about $3K.

Lets say you do that 90 mile commute, 25,000 year.  Get low mile used S40's, about $3,000.  Compare with a C90, about $12,000.  Ride four S40's burn out 50-100K miles, compare with 200K-400K miles for one C90.  Not to mention I get 65 mpg versus about 50 mpg on the C90.  It is cheaper four S40s for one C90.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/30/10 at 17:51:28

I have a 1500 Suzuki and and s40. Going down the freeway on the 1500 at 80mph is like going down the freeway at 40 mph on the s40. You get what you pay for its been that way as long as I can remember. Just remember this is a s40 forum and a lot of people have never ridden a bigger bike for any length of time,The s40 is not a freeway bike its a back rode bike very good at slow speeds.I had a 6 cylinder gold wing before the  1500 Suzuki for 5 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 07/30/10 at 18:47:17

I have driven big heavy freeway automobiles.  I have driven Interstates on AirCool VWs and Pintos.  Perfer small.  Same with motorcycles.  I do not need a $10K+ 600+ pound land yacht to know I don't want one.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/30/10 at 18:48:25

there is nothing wrong with a 650cc bike running on  the hiway at 4500 rpm for hours on end.
tune & jet the carb correctly
keep good oil in it
adjust valves, check brakes
good tires

regular maintenance stuff and it will run just fine

I am constantly amazed at the people in a dealership who think anything less than 1 liter  (except for sport bikes) is a virtual training bike for kids or small women.  
They were not born yet when the 650's ruled the roads

Have you ever seen anything in the literature that comes with the bike when purchased new from a dealershlip that says to AVOID THE HIWAY ... DANGER IF RIDEN FASTER THAN 65 MPH ... VOIDS WARRANTY? ? ?  I have not seen it ......have you ?

The next time some guy at the dealership says this bike is not capable of hiway riding, ask him to show you the factory book that says it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/30/10 at 18:53:01

My first bike was a Yamaha 200 2 cycle I ran down the freeway with that,Back in the 50s when the 650 was common the speed limit was 60mph and most people drove 55 mph.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/30/10 at 18:57:06

Ive yet to see an engine that went to crap if it was operated at no more than 65 or 70% max performance. Run anything wide open, or too close to it,too long, & getready for an ugly ending. Asstated above, take care of its needs, do the maintenance, run it hauling a reasonable load at an RPM that isnt too close to its max, & itll hang in there. Its not an expensive or extra well done piece of machinery. To expect it to run long, hard miles at high speeds & need the maintenance of a highway type machine, like a BMW, is to fail to acknowledge thefacts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 07/30/10 at 19:02:50

Max speed seems to be around 90 mph, 66 2/3 of max power would the be 60mph,So folks don't go over 60mph to make it last.Thats what I've been trying to tell you!!! Angry Angry Angry Angry

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/30/10 at 19:07:31

Taller than stock rear tire, 65 mph otta be in the bal park, with runs to 70 for a while. Just look at the duty cycle on a HarborFreight air compressor. You cant biuy a 130$ compressor & expect to run a body shop off of it, itll burn up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 07/30/10 at 19:09:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/30/10 at 19:07:31:
Taller than stock rear tire, 65 mph otta be in the bal park, with runs to 70 for a while. Just look at the duty cycle on a HarborFreight air compressor. You cant biuy a 130$ compressor & expect to run a body shop off of it, itll burn up.

+1 JOG

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:26:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › S40 on the freeway, for long drives......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.