Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
starter driven gears..... (Read 65 times)
racerwill
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Halifax Ma
starter driven gears.....
07/28/10 at 20:05:37

hello, I'm Will.... I'm new to this forum but not to motorcycles.....

I recently tried to ressurect an 85 Savage 650 that had been sitting for several years..... everything was going well. somehow the starter relay was missing. we did get it started briefly but on the third start a very bad grinding noise came with the starter..... remove the starter motor and it worked fine on the bench.....  I removed the left side cover to discover that the two gears that connect the starter to the flywheel were loose..... the small boss on the case and also the cover had broken off.......

any insight on this.....

thank you in advance

Ww

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Re: starter driven gears.....
Reply #1 - 07/29/10 at 08:56:11

This is not an uncommon problem on the 80s vintage Savage.  The 90s and later Savage with 5 speed uses a torque limiter of some sort on the starter to eliminate this problem.

IP Logged
racerwill
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Halifax Ma
Re: starter driven gears.....
Reply #2 - 07/29/10 at 18:58:06

well, I'd like to fix this......it looks like the cover will have to be replaced. the boss on the case is kinda flimsy to begin with but there is room to make a piece much stronger than the original...... I was hoping that somebody makes these repair parts so I don't have to invent them..... I can see how this was a common problem, how did others remedy this?

Ww

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:26:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter driven gears.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.