Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ordered a new rear tire this a.m. (Read 500 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Re: Ordered a new rear tire this a.m.
Reply #30 - 08/02/10 at 13:45:50

Babyhog, be sure to check your speed against your bike with a gps.
I changed to a 140/90 from a 140/80 and my speedo(which was accurate to within 1mph before) is now almost 6mph off. Read 65 be doing 71...lol

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #31 - 08/02/10 at 15:58:40

Wolfman wrote on 08/02/10 at 13:45:50:
Babyhog, be sure to check your speed against your bike with a gps.
I changed to a 140/90 from a 140/80 and my speedo(which was accurate to within 1mph before) is now almost 6mph off. Read 65 be doing 71...lol

anybody else notice the speedo is off with a 140/90?
I never check after I put on new tires.

6 miles under could get me a ticket when I think I'm doing 70 in  65 and I'm really doing 76!

you know the ol' saying of keeping under 10 miles over to avoid the tickets Wink

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #32 - 08/03/10 at 00:18:52

I usualy ride with my gps set to speed, max speed and avg speed on one screen plus the trip meter.
With the 140/80 i ran right at 60.5 to 60.7 on the gps and 60 on the speedo.
Got out with the 140/90 expcting 'maayybe' a mile or so off. Surprised me when my speedo said 60 and the gps said 66.3
Avgs at 5-6 mph over. This at varying speeds.

IP Logged
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #33 - 08/03/10 at 04:27:45

I haven't checked my speedo, will have to do that.  
I did have to take the "stock" saddlebag supports off because that what was rubbing the 140/90.  Adjusted shocks and all is good, did over 400 miles on the weekend and rode just fine and no more rubbing.  
Thanks Cursal! I found your old post referencing the rubbing of the tire, we investigated and found it was the supports.  
C

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 08/03/10 at 05:02:07

140/90 vs 140/80 should = a little over 3" in the circumference.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #35 - 08/03/10 at 05:43:09

Yea, I'll have to check the speedo.  It seemed off before, just judging by hubby riding behind me in 4 different vehicles.  (2 bikes, 2 cars).  He always said I was going faster, in relation to his speedo at the time, than my speedo said I was.  Don't have a gps to test with.  Tried the Interstate mile-marker to mile-marker test, but it was windy that day, and hilly, and I couldn't keep a good steady speed for any of the miles that I was actually able to look at my watch's second hand.  LOL  So I need to try it again.  Thanks for the reminder!

And my ride home --  whew, I had one little scare.  I think its mental, since being warned about the new tires, but I went around one S-curve and thought I was gonna lose it.  Didn't ride to work today, figured I'd take it out this evening and do some gentle city riding, slow cornering...  I hate being nervous while I'm riding!    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 08/03/10 at 08:50:24

Just dont go running into a corner that creates a lean angle thats muchgreater from the last 5 or so on that side. Youll slowly wear the slikkery stuff off. Id bet a good degreaser would be a fine idea. Might not be the whole answer, care is still the prescription.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #37 - 08/03/10 at 10:23:31

whitewall cleaner would clean that off too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #38 - 08/03/10 at 13:09:17

bill67 wrote on 08/03/10 at 10:23:31:

Anyone agree with this??  Bill bullshits me so much, I can never tell if any of his information is reliable.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #39 - 08/03/10 at 15:24:52

I would'nt use a degreaser on my tires!
BH, just cut your avg speed by 10 less then you normaly ride and hit the sharper corners at an easier pace for a few days.
Had mine now for 4 days and got about 300 on it. Got all my lil rubber nips wore off...lol
I did'nt notice mine being much slicker. No pucker moments, just a couple of 'Hmmmm.....it might of slipped a bit in that last 90...i think'.lol My old one was cupping bad, id ran the last mile out of it literaly. Could stick your finger through in one spot...lol
I did notice an improvement in cornering after the first 100miles or so.

Just get out and ride it BH, rack up some easy miles just cruiseing and cornering easy for a bit. Rideing in GRAVEL will help scrub it off faster to!...lol
Dont be nervous either. Relax and be one with the bike. Learn to feel its lil quirks. Over thinking can be just as bad as oversteering. Just relax and be 'in the moment' on the bike.

I had pleanty of room under the fender for mine, not even close to rubbing. Stock 07 with OEM bag supports.
140/90 is 'maybe' 1/4 in taller, width is the same. Should'nt rub. Oversized nuts?

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #40 - 08/03/10 at 22:35:04

If you change the inside nuts to round (cheese) head Allen bolts, you can run up to a 150/80 tire.  That is what I have on my bike at the moment, and with the Allen bolts - NO RUBBING!!!.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 08/04/10 at 07:49:53

babyhog wrote on 08/03/10 at 13:09:17:
bill67 wrote on 08/03/10 at 10:23:31:

Anyone agree with this??  Bill bullshits me so much, I can never tell if any of his information is reliable.

It works Piglet no BS

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ordered a new rear tire this a.m.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.