Send Topic Print
squeaking, back firing (Read 250 times)
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

squeaking, back firing
07/28/10 at 06:56:23

The bike is squeaking everywhere, when I roll forward, backwards or turn right or left and it is backfiring.

I was on an over night ride, and for 2 of the 4 days rode in pouring rain and it seems the squeaking started after that but I can't pinpoint where it is coming from.  Anyone have a similar problem?

Is backfiring a problem?  Seems to do it most often when down shifting.
What grade of gas do most of you put in yours?  Iv'e been using high grade.

I like the bike, it fits me well and gets great mileage.  After riding 4 days I wasn't tired at all and I'm ready for another trip.

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: squeaking, back firing
Reply #1 - 07/28/10 at 07:08:45

Have a look at the front brake. I bet the rotor is rusted a bit. Ride it, use the front brake a few times & see if its not better. Also, my belt will squeak like heck after its been wet, like tennis shoes on moms kitchen floor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/28/10 at 08:38:37

The squeek is telling you it wants to be a chain drive bike. The backfiring is just happy farting.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/28/10 at 10:28:13

squeak is belt...  backfire is normal for a big thumper,... you can tune it out some with idle mix and pilot jetting...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 07/28/10 at 10:47:45

Oh that squeaking!

I get it all the time in the winter/rainy months here in Oregon...like 7-8 months of it.

In the fall I'm gonna put on some bees wax.
They make some sort of belt spray you can put on there. The last can I was looking at said re-apply every 3000 miles.
Wonder if bees wax will last longer?

Backfire you can almost entirely get rid of by tuning your idle mix screw. Mine only makes a slight "puff" when I shut her down. The occasional backfire happens when riding and pulling the throttle to hard and having that extra fuel in there....then a BOOM or a KA-POW...sounds kinda cool when it happens.

If you wanna make a nice loud backfire hold in your clutch while your doing about 30-40 and revv up your throttle a few times, let out your clutch and blip the throttle again...you should have a nice KA-POW ready for ya Cheesy

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/30/10 at 08:34:01

Thanks very muchfor the suggestions - I am new at navigating on this site and just found your comments - I thought I would be notified but wasn't -

I had the brakes changed out at 4000 and the new ones have about 1000 on them but it was suggested to me that i get a different brake next time and not stock suzuki ones

"happy farting"  ok i can go along with that  LO  but i can't say i am unhappy to not have a chain to deal with - have that on another bike and one is enough

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/30/10 at 08:47:37

I used to pull the clutch, revit up, put a heel on the sidestand & push a bit, then let off it & get a HUGE POWW!. Scared the heck outta couple of cops once.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 07/30/10 at 12:05:03

suzukirider wrote on 07/30/10 at 08:34:01:
Thanks very muchfor the suggestions - I am new at navigating on this site and just found your comments - I thought I would be notified but wasn't -

FYI, if you want to be notified, there is a "Notification" button on the top bar of every thread.  There is also a check-box under the composition box when you are writing a post that you can check.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/30/10 at 12:09:43

Ive been here for years& havent spotted that.. & NOW I see it!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 07/30/10 at 12:12:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/30/10 at 12:09:43:
Ive been here for years& havent spotted that.. & NOW I see it!

Woooohoooo, I taught JOG something!!!!   I get the Gold Star today!!   Grin

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/30/10 at 12:24:20

Yea, Piglet, you are much appreciated. Thanks very much. Im not against being taught, but Im not gonna "learn" what Ive studied & determined to be wrong.

IP Logged
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/31/10 at 15:46:35

my belt will squeak like heck after its been wet, like tennis shoes on moms kitchen floor.

this is exactly what the bike sounds like - i'm happy to know that in this case my bike is not unique  LO- i'm new at all this and was getting worried so maybe applying beeswax will do the trick

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/31/10 at 18:01:59

I use Gulf canning wax. Yea, thats a petro product, so , likely not as good an idea as the beeswax.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #13 - 08/01/10 at 00:54:07

Re the squeak - If you've tried the 90 degree twist to check belt tension and it looks about right, try loosening off the adjuster bolts by one turn.

On my Savage the belt tension "sweet spot" (ie not so loose that it slips under hard acceleration, and not so tight that it squeaks) seems to be only 2 or 3 turns of the bolts.

IP Logged
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/01/10 at 20:03:55

I think I will try some beeswax, or gulf wax first - hope that does the job - don't have much of an idea at this point on how to find the "sweet spot"

i guess i should have wiped the bike down real good after being in the rain for 2 days

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:18:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › squeaking, back firing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.