Shocks (Read 187 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Shocks
07/28/10 at 03:01:56

Anyone got the part number off the sportster shocks some of you have used on your s40? Its the 11 1/2 custom sportster shocks isnt it?
Are they THAT much better then the Log Wagon shocks the savage comes with stock? Local guys has a set like new, only 500 miles on them for 50 bucks?
Whats the most used part number on the progressive shocks?
200lb man.

Also anyone got the part number off the dyna muffler most have swapped for their OEM?

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Shocks
Reply #1 - 07/28/10 at 04:47:59

Sportsters are a small step above a rigid frame they are worse than this bike!!

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/28/10 at 08:40:43

Shocks occur when your leg is up against the plug wire in the rain.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 07/28/10 at 14:12:04

Yeah they may not be 412 progressives but i still hear their better then stock savage shocks. Like to find an affordable upgrade for the suspension.

Shocking eh P? Whats shocking is you and drifter answering and NOT with helpfull information....lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/28/10 at 14:25:18

Wolfman wrote on 07/28/10 at 03:01:56:
Anyone got the part number off the sportster shocks some of you have used on your s40? Its the 11 1/2 custom sportster shocks isnt it?
Are they THAT much better then the Log Wagon shocks the savage comes with stock? Local guys has a set like new, only 500 miles on them for 50 bucks?
Whats the most used part number on the progressive shocks?
200lb man.

Also anyone got the part number off the dyna muffler most have swapped for their OEM?

What's the part number of the one he's got?

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/28/10 at 14:41:03

You might like suzuki intruder 800 shocks. They're 12 1/2 though. I havent swapped them, but others have and apparently they're a direct swap. I went the progressive route and they're better than stock but id've rather paid less for intruder shocks had I known at the time.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/28/10 at 17:36:35

I have the Suzuki Intruder 800 shocks.... Very comfy... but 200 lbs is at the outer limit...
I get about an inch of sag when I sit on it, and I'm around 150lbs...
Probably about 3 1/2" of travel left for bumps with me...
If you want comfort, and don't do much 2 up riding they might be worth a try... Cheap enough, if you can find a pair. (you can always resell,...and an easy straight bolt up)(just make sure you have clearance at the front of the beltguard  for travel)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/28/10 at 17:42:21

I have a set of 412-4005's usually rec'd for the sportster.
and I'd say the limit for those is about 250 lbs. more or less depending on the bumps you take.  I take some that will get my airborne with the stock shocks.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #8 - 07/28/10 at 20:49:50

Surpriseingly enough the stock shocks are'nt that bad on mine and i dont just toodle along. I kinda like curves and speed.
Even two up their not extreme but i do notice bottoming out on larger bumps with the daughter on the back. I keep it set on 4 for just myself.

As to part number i saw them on craigslist localy. Off a custom sportster so they 'should' be the 11 1/2 inch. I just cant see laying out 250 or so for a set of progressives. Maybe this fall or next spring, but not right now. Unless their cheap...lol
May try the intruder shocks if i can find a set cheap enough.

Hope my rear tire comes in tomorrow, these withdrawl symptoms are killing me. Have'nt been in the seat for 5 days. Sad

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/28/10 at 21:23:59

412-4005 progressives are fairly plentiful on ebay usually. Might be able to get a good deal. Got to order a set of bushing from Progressive though. 'bout $20. Dont recall the PN for those but if you search my posts within the lastyear you ought to find it. Again though, I wasnt entirely satisfied, but i bought brand new. At the stiffer settings the big bumps are absorbed very well but the ride is rather stiff. At lower settings the ride is soft and fluid but big bumps are a bouncy time. I have rather grown fond of "bump jumping" though. Im set at 2 or 3 now ( dont recall And I lost my shock adjuster) and I can twist  a good surge in 3rd and get a nice bit of air on the big bumps and teh crests of some hills.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 07/29/10 at 13:54:18

Burn, be carefull of them 'bump jumps'. Localy a couple weeks ago had a biker top a hill to fast on a 'whoops' top and passanger came off. Didnt end well for her at all. Levitated off the bike seat and impacted the ground at fatal speed. Bike and biker was still trucking happily  down the road.

Rides not to bad but i can bottom it out on setting 4 or 5 once in awhile by myself. With the daughter on for her occasinal ride it bottoms out on the bigger bumps at speed. Biggest concern is NO bumps for me and only the occasinal bump two up.
Im 200lb 6ft, the girls are both 5ft 4 about 120 or so. I ride it  like i stole it(d@mn near did...lol). 98%+ of my rideing is one up.
Im not looking for a goldwing air ride(would be nice though) but a good ride i am looking for. My bad back would appreciate it...lol
Reccomendation on shocks from the 'Experts'... Roll Eyes

Yes ive done the extensive search on here and the comments and info still leave me wanting more info, slightly confused.
Sooooo....Sportster custom shocks, 412 progressives, intruder shocks, whats my best bet for my weight distribution and rideing style(agressive). Money IS an object, cheap means new shocks, expensive means bumpy ride...lol

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/29/10 at 14:03:23

I have 412 progressive shocks it still not on par with the average motorcycle,You need a least 4 inch of travel to get a nice ride,S40's swing arm is to short is the problem.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/29/10 at 17:53:03

I'll have to check the dash number but for a ride good enough for a bad back, get 440's
There are some bumps that would kill me or get me air borne with stock shocks that I sit thru now.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/29/10 at 21:16:13

Wolfman wrote on 07/29/10 at 13:54:18:
Burn, be carefull of them 'bump jumps'. Localy a couple weeks ago had a biker top a hill to fast on a 'whoops' top and passanger came off. Didnt end well for her at all. Levitated off the bike seat and impacted the ground at fatal speed. Bike and biker was still trucking happily  down the road.

Good enough for me. I ride solo anyway.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 07/30/10 at 00:14:32

600 bucks a pop for 440's i think ill give the intruder or sportster shocks a try first...lol
Now if i can just get my new rear on tomorrow so i can Ride again! 5 days no bike, i need a fix!. Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:15:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.