Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
my savage is dead. (Read 570 times)
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

my savage is dead.
07/27/10 at 12:35:02

the piston has a hole in it, one of the valves dropped into the cylinder and tore everything up. i had a new cam shaft in it, there was wear on the cam and the head/valve casing. it was having an issue with my top speed, then last saturday i lost power on the freeway, almost dumped the bike. it wouldnt start back up after that. after tearing the engine down, i found a hole in the piston and all the other issues i mentioned.

ive put too much time and money into my savage to simply give up. but it does feel a little pointless to put any more money into it in its current state. i mean, its an 1987 with 20k miles. what the hell.

is it time to pick up a sportster? i loved my savage, but i seemed to have nothing but problems over that last few years of owning mine.

my mechanic friend says i should give up on it. he says that the savage is too underpowered and that running a 650 single at highway speed will eventually burn it out no matter what shape its in.

what to do.........

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: my savage is dead.
Reply #1 - 07/27/10 at 12:41:03

Seems it is not made for constant highway speed, especially with the 4 speed. Wonder if the 5 speed engine can take it in the long run.

Condolences, it sucks, for a couple of hundred bucks you may be able to find an engine right?

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #2 - 07/27/10 at 12:46:27

you prob could part it out and that would finance half the price of a newer 90's savage.  i mean come on, the bike is freakin cheap.  got a fully loaded 95' savage with 6k miles w tons of extras for 1k.  you think you got problems now.  go buy an HD and see what kind of hassels you run into.  

they say 95% of Harley's are still on the road...thats because the other 5% made it home  Grin

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #3 - 07/27/10 at 12:57:12

I bought mine 2-3 weeks ago.

From a dealer, 96 with 2k miles on it, top shape with a year of free maintenance and 6 months warranty for $1799.

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #4 - 07/27/10 at 14:29:31

Get a cheap Intruder 750cc from the 90's,
those things are like a savage on steroids!

keep the savage for intruder parts,
they share a bunch of parts.
or maybe someone here wants it whole?
good luck

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/27/10 at 16:40:00

thing is, ive put about 2000 into it so far. it stings a bit to see it go this way.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/27/10 at 16:49:05

You can drop another load in it & still have an old  savage, or get another bike & sell this one or keep it for parts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 07/27/10 at 18:05:42

worst part is i never got a picture of it after the "makeover"

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 07/27/10 at 18:50:00

C'mon, you gotta fix it now!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #9 - 07/27/10 at 20:48:50

would buy a parts bike and do a motor swap.. btw I'm drunken.sportster are top heavy.. heavy in general.. get a dyna if you want a harley.. at leastt they have power and attitude.. but I like the motoor swap idea,, who mentioned that
?? me.. yeah I'm awesome.. kickass.. and all. peace out

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #10 - 07/27/10 at 23:58:10

Sorry to hear about the damage. I have to admit, if my '87 needed that much repair work, I would probably part it out and buy another bike. Always liked the Intruder 1400, and they're cheap enough now. Would probably go that route instead of a Sportster.

I've been fortunate; bought my '87 Savage a little over 2 years ago with a bit over 12,000 miles and she's up to 23,000 now. The only money i've put into it was just a battery and a few bits and pieces. I'm amazed at how well it still runs.

One thing I noticed with my bike is some non-oem sealant between the jug. Means someone was in there at some point. Have no idea what was done, but whatever they did, they seem to have done a good job.

Biggest hassle I had with any of my bikes was my early '84 Sportster. Blew a rod. Now that was a freaking disaster. Back in, I think, '89 that was, and cost me $1500 back then.

FSO
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 07/28/10 at 01:48:23

I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune, that is a bummer for sure

I am picking up a 90's model today with only 8k on the engine
if interested in the engine send me a pm

how much wear did you have on the cam ?
can you get a close up photo ?
think its good to use ?

your mech doesn't think a 650 single is capable of highway riding ? ?
because they are too under powered ? ?
is this guy out of diapers yet ?
or has he been drinking the cool-ade ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/28/10 at 03:20:39

Theres nothing about the bike that just CANT do the highway. Its plenty big & gutsy enough. An engine swap would be a grand idea, if tyou can do it for the right $$$. Looks like Lancer is willing to help out, but youre most likely gonna have to send him your old cam. Hes a funny guy, Lancer is. Got him a cam fettish of some sort.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 07/28/10 at 05:25:07

The funny part is that you can't buy a different brand bike that works for you. Or,.... if you can, then maybe that is what you should have had in the first place. After not riding for many years I thought if I ever ride again, I'd like a Harley,.....till I sat on one,.... and leaned it to one side a bit, Shocked...it was then I realized it wasn't ever going to happen. After hitting the shops for months, nothing but a 250 fit me (this old guy) untill I sat on a Sav40. A ride, and an hour later, I owned it.
But sorry to hear about your major engine failure. I believe its the first I've heard in a year here. One way or another ya gotta fix it,.....??

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #14 - 07/28/10 at 06:18:33

Allright, I vote rebuiiiild!!   Cool

dude, fix your bike and be happy with it,
i have a 125cc right now and i can't wait
to go ride it everytime I run out of milk!

David Lynch once said:
"My cow is not pretty, but it is pretty to me"
and that, my friend, is what life is all about!

...it's settled then, time to get your hands dirty
here are some links to get ya' started.

- 1/2 an engine $199
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Savage-LS650-650-ENGINE-MOTOR-BLOCK-TRA...

- cylinder and piston $99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Savage-650-LS650-CYLINDER-PISTON-_W0QQc...

- just the cylinder $29.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-LS650-Savage-650-CYLNDER-_W0QQcmdZViewI...

maybe somebody here has a couple of used valves,
better hurry up and post your wishlist to santa,
he might just be a member here.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:29:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my savage is dead.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.