Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ok here's one stupid newbie thing... (Read 262 times)
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ok here's one stupid newbie thing...
07/27/10 at 10:05:42

i went out for a short ride around the neighborhood.  Everything went well until i came home and parked in the garage ...Somehow forgetting to put down the kick stand.  I just start to get off the bike and next thing i know she's starting to fall on me.  It sure was nice that she was light.  Atleast you only make that mistake once ...i hope.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: ok here's one stupid newbie thing...
Reply #1 - 07/27/10 at 10:24:25

Quote:
At least you only make that mistake once ...i hope.

In your dreams... Huh...  

Count on doing it at least 3 times a year...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/27/10 at 10:36:53

Really,.....
Mine got away from me a year ago just checkin the dam oil ! Now I know that ain't gonna happen again ! And I should have sued anybody that stupid that they couldn't come up w/ a better way to check the oil ! Fair warning,...set it on a 2x4 and anywhere between the lines is perfectly good.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #3 - 07/27/10 at 11:20:53

LOL yea, you would think the kickstand would be pretty easy to remember!!   But somehow.....

Routy - have you tried the mirror-on-the-end-of-a-stick trick?  I also have a mirror on a retractable stem, kinda like a teacher's pointer thingy, with a dentist's mirror on the end.  Concentric tubes collapse inside each other.  The mirror swivels in all directions.  It works fairly well while stradling the bike to check the oil - once you get the danged sight window in view, that is..

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/27/10 at 11:45:51

My brother put the bike away last night and as soon as I got on it I knew it was teetering on the edge.  Sure enough, took it out of gear and as soon as I took it off the kickstand it popped up.  There's not much overtravel doesn't take much for it to pop up.

I kneel beside it to check the oil, to make sure it can't go far, it's close enough to the counter that if it fell over it would stop on them.

WWW   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 07/27/10 at 12:06:17

I cheat at the oil check deal - double team it - get anybody willing to stand on their head while i hold the bike upright - so far the wife has not figured out she could hold it while i stand on my head...guess it come natural to her - Roll Eyes

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 07/27/10 at 12:45:22

You guys check the oil warm or cold? I warm it up, turn it off then let is sit for a few mins then check level. Is that the right way on this bike?

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #7 - 07/27/10 at 16:14:40

Almost dropped it in the garage by moving it forward without straddling the seat - the motion dragged the kickstand up and that was a scare.  

I find the easiest way to check the oil is to stay on the seat, rest the kickstand on top of my left boot toe so I can feel it, then the bike is straight up, and bend down to read the window - sometimes I do see stars from a stiff back.    

Warm oil - cold oil - doesn't matter to me but it has to sit off for a few minutes to drain down so I usually check cold.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/27/10 at 17:24:53

I have longer shocks so 2 2x4 block is almost dead level then hold the bike keeping pressure on the 2x4 and walk around and kneel down and read it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 07/27/10 at 18:15:24

At least you did it in the privacy of your garage. I did mine at a busy gas station. My face was the same candy apple red as my bike.   Embarrassed

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 07/27/10 at 18:31:06

I had only had my girl about a month. Came out of the Chiropractor's office. Went to get on my bike. Usually I sat on her first then put the kick stand up. Well this particular day I was holding her and put the kick stand up. I didn't have as good of a hold as I should of. The next thing I knew her and I were slowly going down. I was so embarassed as not only other patients seen what had transpired, a commuter bus went by as well. At least I was able to pick her up, dust us both off and go on about my day. I did learn to make sure I have a firm grip on her if I am going to take her off the k.s. without sitting on her first.  Smiley  kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 07/27/10 at 18:50:55

I was at the gas pump once, a couple of years ago,... and when I reached over to the pump handle, the bike started to slide out from under me,... someone had spilled anti-freeze on the smooth concrete...
...and as I tried to right her,.. I pushed her about 3 or 4 feet sideways,...  not to mention, I got the stuff on my boots too, and was doing three kinds of splits and a spastic break dance as I went...

I didn't go down,...
...but it might have looked more graceful if I had... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #12 - 07/27/10 at 19:16:43

Someone once suggested:

kneel beside the bike, take a firm grip on the frame with both hands and (using your legs not your back) lift the bike to eye level to view the oil window

Smiley

i stand to right of the bike, hold the front brake and bend down to see viewing window.  it helps to tip the bike back & forth to see the oil move so you can see where it is.  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #13 - 07/27/10 at 20:06:28

Sears sells a lighted (LED) telescoping inspection mirror. I bought the last 2 Sears Southcenter Mall store had today. Somehow the one I bought 2 months ago has grown legs already. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #14 - 07/27/10 at 20:16:57

I've never laid a bike on it's side when it wasn't moving, but I'm sure I will if I live long enough. As for checking the oil  inspection mirrors are avalable at any auto parts store and make the job easy and safe.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ok here's one stupid newbie thing...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.