Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Adjusting Head Pivot  Bearings (Read 148 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Adjusting Head Pivot  Bearings
07/26/10 at 22:10:47

Do ya just take the free play out, or take up the freeplay and then preload the bearings ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Adjusting Head Pivot  Bearings
Reply #1 - 07/27/10 at 06:42:44

The few things Ive read have said the front shouldnt just fall to opne side, oughta be very slight resistance. Id say if its too tight to ride w/ no hands, its too tight.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/27/10 at 07:15:55

Reason I ask, a (long dist) friend, an old guy like me, just bought a like new.....06 w/ 2800 mi yesterday, and he's complaining of fork flop one side to the other,.....not to the point of any freeplay, but there is no resistence. I'm not sure that there is anything out of normal, but he thinks there is.
I would hesitate to adjust any preload on those bearings if not normally done. My forks flop to the side too when ever they get torward one side or the other, and I see no problem.
So just wondering if he.......or the bike is out of line Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/27/10 at 07:25:23

Their suppose to flop if you get them to tight it want steer right,My first bike had a steering dampener on it,You could tighten the steering by turning the knob,Thats how I found out you can get them to tight and they will follow grooves in the road.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/27/10 at 08:00:35

That wasn't a Hon 250 scrambler was it ? I remember the hand adjuster on those. Anyway, I think same as you on this one. But I'm still wondering if bearing preload is normally ever used as a dampener.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/27/10 at 08:38:55

1971 Yamaha 200,I tighten mine til it see it is starting to tighten then back off a little.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 07/27/10 at 10:41:44

If you tighten that bearing to the point where you can feel it, you just gonna wear it out. It is a ball bearing, and I have never come across a ball bearing as a machinist that was supposed to be running that tight. Every ball bearing has just a tad of play so the lube can cover the surfaces. Usually they run in grease, so no pressure lube system like on an engine. Every time metal runs on metal it needs a tad of play for the lube. Since it is a ball bearing on the steering it is gonna move pretty light. Bill67 is correct. You tighten it until you start feeling resistance in the movement, and then you back off a little. It is done best with the wheel off the ground, to avoid a false feeling in resistance. To be honest I have no clue how those bikes with the adjuster do it, but I don't even like that idea. This is probably just good for racing purposes, as nothing in racing lasts very long. If you think you need to tighten the steering, a dedicated steering dampener is the way to go. Every fast going bike that needs that has a steering dampener. I would even go that far to say, that IF a bike needs that, then the geometry of the steering related components isn't designed very well, or the bike can go so darn fast that it is not safe to go that fast without it no matter how good the design is. I bought my bike used and the forks are a tad bent backwards from whatever the previous owner did to it. I run it like that since 9,000 miles and never had an issue with flop or wobble. It runs even wobble free at over 90mph with only the right hand holding the throttle. Not that I do that all the time, just for testing if the bent forks was an issue when I bought it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/27/10 at 10:44:50

Not about to argue with a machinist on this. Makes sense to me. Im glad this was asked, because I was considering tightening mine a bit.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/27/10 at 10:45:47

Have him check the tire pressure...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/27/10 at 11:27:24

The steering head has tappered roller bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 07/27/10 at 12:15:34

Thanks,
this has always been what I had been taught,.....not that some brand new bearings don't call for a preload.

ralfyguy wrote on 07/27/10 at 10:41:44:
If you tighten that bearing to the point where you can feel it, you just gonna wear it out. It is a ball bearing, and I have never come across a ball bearing as a machinist that was supposed to be running that tight. Every ball bearing has just a tad of play so the lube can cover the surfaces. Usually they run in grease, so no pressure lube system like on an engine. Every time metal runs on metal it needs a tad of play for the lube. Since it is a ball bearing on the steering it is gonna move pretty light. Bill67 is correct. You tighten it until you start feeling resistance in the movement, and then you back off a little. It is done best with the wheel off the ground, to avoid a false feeling in resistance. To be honest I have no clue how those bikes with the adjuster do it, but I don't even like that idea. This is probably just good for racing purposes, as nothing in racing lasts very long. If you think you need to tighten the steering, a dedicated steering dampener is the way to go. Every fast going bike that needs that has a steering dampener. I would even go that far to say, that IF a bike needs that, then the geometry of the steering related components isn't designed very well, or the bike can go so darn fast that it is not safe to go that fast without it no matter how good the design is. I bought my bike used and the forks are a tad bent backwards from whatever the previous owner did to it. I run it like that since 9,000 miles and never had an issue with flop or wobble. It runs even wobble free at over 90mph with only the right hand holding the throttle. Not that I do that all the time, just for testing if the bent forks was an issue when I bought it.

Rich
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/27/10 at 12:19:12

Good to know. And this would make a difference, as tapered roller would stand a preload much better than ball.

And right on, tire pressure is something to check too.

verslagen1 wrote on 07/27/10 at 11:27:24:
The steering head has tappered roller bearings.

Rich
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 07/27/10 at 12:42:06

Tapered rollers are a bit different, and I didn't know the steering head had those. Mostly those kind are used in a sealed oiled environment so they're lubed well. On the steering head on my bycicle it's ball bearings. I once tried that a little tighter and it was hard to ride like that. Tapered rollers can withstand a lot more force than balls due to the higher surface area. They still like to be lubed well. They are also used often on cars as wheel bearings.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 07/27/10 at 14:11:45

Even with tapered bearings you need a slight play.All the older bikes I knew had steering dampeners.

« Last Edit: 07/28/10 at 04:06:09 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/28/10 at 03:22:02

Car wheel bearings are tapered rollers & they have preload.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusting Head Pivot  Bearings

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.