Send Topic Print
a little early (Read 251 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
a little early
07/26/10 at 11:41:43

I was wondering if I have to take my battery out of the bike this winter . I have a battery tender junior and a big crank battery . The bike stays in the garage all winter and it gets pretty cold in there . Also if I don't have to take the battery out ,should I leave the battery tender on all the time ,or just plug it in once a week or so till it turns solid green? Thanks

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: a little early
Reply #1 - 07/26/10 at 13:09:34

A full charged battery will not freeze in this part of the world.
Once a week/month would probably do it, but why take the chance of forgetting,.....leave any type of float/maintainer charger on it all the time. I do that on all batteries not used much thru the winter. Just top the water before storing. It will use very little if any water thru the cold weather.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #2 - 07/26/10 at 15:59:51

if it's a big crank battery ,which is sealed ,will any water be lost if you leave the battery tender on all winter?

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #3 - 07/26/10 at 17:13:39

Mine was a stock battery. We usually have -40 for a couple of weeks each winter. When ever it got warm I would pull the Wee Beasty out of the garage and let her run for 10 or 15 minutes. It usually worked out to once or twice a month. Never had a battery issue and the bike cranked over strong each time.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 07/26/10 at 19:53:19

Unless it is below 40 degrees or raining I don't ride my bike in the winter. She is covered and I do go out from time to time and start her up and run her for awhile to keep the battery charged. I don't keep a battery tender on her at all. She survived last winter just fine. She is under a carport and not enclosed inside a barn or garage.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 07/26/10 at 21:14:13

No Ice I ride. It does get a little rough bellow freezing.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 07/28/10 at 07:44:17

Normally, an AGM sealed battery like the Big Crank, or any battery will not use any water when kept on a float charger, during cold weather. But it must be a float/maintainer type charger w/ max voltage of 13.2 -13.4. Most are now days, but there are trickle chargers out there that put out continuous higher voltage, and they will use water, ...and ruin an AGM if left on all the time.
Some people use timers for an hour a day, but even that can cause water useage, even on a 1 amp higher volt trickle charger.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/28/10 at 08:35:03

If I did not ride in Ice, snow, and rain, My riding time would be limited.
Since I do not drive any vehicle that is not a motorcycle, I ride year round and so do not worry about battery problems.  Hypothermia now is a problem sometimes.
That is why I am moving to Hawaii. So I won't have to buy a disabled capable driving van.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #8 - 07/28/10 at 09:07:32

I think any of the Battery-Tender Plus brand chargers are good enough to leave on continuously and it's usually better than letting the battery rest, which is when the sulpher crystals start to grow between the plates.  The Plus devices have 4 mode - Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode.  And they're dead easy to use and to read status.

The Plus or Junior devices are made for (slow) maintenance charging so they can be left on 24x7.

The Big Crank only loses 1-2% per month so I don't even think about charging it over the winter months.  But it would better to leave it on the maintenance charger.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 07/28/10 at 09:12:59

I have a deltran battery tender junior .It's less than 1 amp.Putting it on a timer for an hour a day ,all winter would probably work without water loss on the big crank battery ,right?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/28/10 at 09:43:35

My stock batteries have always last 3-4 months during the winter and start right up with out doing any kind of charging,I don't know if a big crank will last that long.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 07/28/10 at 09:47:52

I have a Big Crank, and the Deltran Jr.  Last winter, I plugged it in once and it only took like 20 minutes to be fully charged (according to the lights on the charger)  Then we did hubby's C90 and it took much longer (also Big Crank) but his bike has alot more electronics than mine, so that's what I attribute it too.
Hooked it up a couple times over the winter, also started it a few times, just to make sure it was staying charged.  That's what I'll do this winter too, if I find it necessary.  Mine is stored in a heated garage though.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 07/29/10 at 11:30:10

My bike is in a cold garage .What do you think will be most likely to prolong the life of the big crank battery,not lose water, with the deltran battery tender junior, Hooking it to a timer for an hour once a day ,Hooking it to a timer for a few hours once a week ,or leaving it plugged in all the time? Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:18:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › a little early

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.