Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to forum. Need help with bike (Read 111 times)
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
New to forum. Need help with bike
07/25/10 at 21:40:13

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I need some help with my 1988 savage 650 I just bought as a fixer upper. I'm not to familiar with this bike and while working on the gas tank I noticed the fuel valve on the petcock is frozen in place. There is a little play in the valve which leads me to believe that it's locked in some way. I've never come across this in other motorcycles I've worked on so I was wondering if maybe this was some kind of locking feature I'm over looking or it's just rusted. I would really appreciate help with this and I'm sorry if this was answered in another topic, I tryed to search around and didn't really find anything. Thanks so much.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: New to forum. Need help with bike
Reply #1 - 07/25/10 at 21:50:22

no locking feature, most likely the plastic is just stuck.  becare when you take it apart, the back is a diaphragm doesn't usually tear, but you'll probably need to seal it with rtv when you put it back on.

I'd push the valve out from the back and lube it with grease.  no telling how long it'll last cause gas will wash the grease away.  becarefull when you push it out there's a little tab that pushes the diaphragm out when in reserve.

there's a how to convert to manual in here for a pictorial.

BTW, this section is not for questions.  this should be posted in RSD.

welcome to the forum anyhow.

WWW   IP Logged
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
Reply #2 - 07/26/10 at 08:19:51

Sry about posting this this here. But thank you for the quick response. I'll get working on that right away.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 07/28/10 at 20:55:53

verslagen1 wrote on 07/25/10 at 21:50:22:
.....I'd push the valve out from the back and lube it with grease.  no telling how long it'll last cause gas will wash the grease away.....

This grease will not dissolve in gasoline:

Krytox RFE

Break out your checkbook, however!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 07/28/10 at 21:01:27

Dsreaper420 wrote on 07/25/10 at 21:40:13:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I need some help with my 1988 savage 650 I just bought as a fixer upper. I'm not to familiar with this bike and while working on the gas tank I noticed the fuel valve on the petcock is frozen in place. There is a little play in the valve which leads me to believe that it's locked in some way. I've never come across this in other motorcycles I've worked on so I was wondering if maybe this was some kind of locking feature I'm over looking or it's just rusted. I would really appreciate help with this and I'm sorry if this was answered in another topic, I tryed to search around and didn't really find anything. Thanks so much.

Here is a petcock for sale, if yours ends up being trashed:

http://www.amazon.com/Krytox-O-ring-Lubricant-442-29710-Category/dp/B001HWG92I

The one for sale here features a "suspect" diaphragm, however.  Everything else is fine!  It would be a good candidate for an inexpensive rebuild or a free mod.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dsreaper420
YaBB Newbies

1988 Suzuki Savage

Rhode Island
Reply #5 - 07/29/10 at 08:00:37

Ended up just taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning and it works now. The plastic was stuck. Everythings all set now, thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to forum. Need help with bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.