Send Topic Print
One special thing... (Read 771 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: One special thing...
Reply #45 - 07/29/10 at 06:04:58

They cost about $1500 more than S40 and weight almost 50 pounds more and you get a 500cc motor,And you don't get Japanese quality.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #46 - 07/29/10 at 06:49:15

Hi, Bill. Here's my thinking on comparing the RE (Royal Enfield Bullet 500) to the S40.

MSRP difference around here is about 1100$. It would cost me that or more to modify an S40 into a standard (see www.rycamotors.com for a kit price list).

A drag race between an S40 and a RE would be interesting (and perhaps a little laughable given the laid-back character of both bikes) --

Suzuki claims: Torque @ RPM: 45.5 Nm @ 3400 rpm. Horse Power @ RPM: 31 hp @ 5400 rpm

RE claims: 41.3 Nm @ 4000 rpm, 27.5 BHP.  Advantage S40 by about 10% on both measures.

Suzuki says wet weight of the S40 is 381 lbs versus 412 for the RE. Advantage S40 by 31 lbs or 8%.

With these figures I suppose the S40 would edge out the RE in the quarter-mile, but not by much.

My bet would be that with riders of equivalent skills that the standard RE would leave the crusier S40 behind in the curves.

As for build quality, the Indians ditched the old tooling they got from the British and are using the latest methods to make their new unit construction engine. I hear that they are outsourced to make engines for Japanese clients! They back it up with a 2 yr/unlimited miles warranty. That's better than Suzuki's for the S40. Time will tell with the new RE engine.

However the S40 still has the cam chain problem it has had since 1986. The new RE engine uses hydraulic lifters (no valve adjustments) with pushrods (no cam chain issues). The RE is fuel injected, while the S40 still has a carb. Both bikes have front disc brakes and electronic ignition and 5-speeds.

S40 gets about 50 MPG. RE claims 85 MPG, probably really about 70 MPG.

I'm not saying the RE is clearly superior to the S40, but it may be a reasonable alternative offering a standard riding position.

« Last Edit: 07/30/10 at 16:51:32 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #47 - 07/29/10 at 07:06:37

There is an RE down the street from me.  Still haven't figured out which model, because I can't catch him!  I can tell it is relatively new.  And it will scoot!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #48 - 07/29/10 at 07:20:18

My favorite thing about this bike is the big fat single header coming out of the cylinder.
That, and when folks say "Nice Bike!"

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #49 - 07/29/10 at 08:00:32

Besides the light weight, the LS650 reflects the heritage and essence of no-frills motorcycling that Bikes like the Sportster, Bonneville and the Brit singles embodied back in the day ... in fact, the Savage/S40 is the ONLY Japanese motorcycle available here in North America that I can think of that actually has that "character"!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #50 - 07/29/10 at 09:37:03

I read somewhere top speed was around 65mph that would to me be to slow for safety.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #51 - 07/29/10 at 17:07:53

I got the Savage to 77.88 mph according to the bicycle speedo I've mounted on it. That was about all it had. I don't think either the Savage/S40 or Royal Enfield Bullet are meant for the freeways. I-95 around here moves at 70-75 mph with a lot of big trucks in the mix. Royal Enfield says their new model will cruise at 70, but I would avoid the superslab with either bike. Neither bike has a good safety margin at those speeds. If it's mandatory freeway for more than a few miles, I'm on my Bandit.

« Last Edit: 07/30/10 at 16:50:08 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #52 - 07/29/10 at 17:35:50

A Big Single with a carb, what else is there in the world that sings a sweeter song?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #53 - 07/29/10 at 17:58:48

my ed L forward controlls

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #54 - 07/30/10 at 09:10:37

I put in the verslavy cam adjuster.

Now I only have to move the nut or replace the chain when the time comes.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Melissa Martinez
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

united states
Reply #55 - 07/30/10 at 11:22:51

It's also got good low end torque which makes for smooth and easy throttle response without jerkiness.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:19:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › One special thing...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.