Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone ever had this happen??? Or heard of this??? (Read 119 times)
LS-Rich

If it ain't
broke.... Make it
longer!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Anyone ever had this happen??? Or heard of this???
07/25/10 at 12:08:18

I was riding home the other night after work at about 75mph on the interstate. All of a sudden it felt like i was losing power. Almost like the motor was out of oil and slowly locking up. Totally freaking me out. I could only get about 60mph out of it when I realized that the front brake rotor was glowing red. Somehow the front brake started applying pressure. I kept on the throttle just cause I didn't want to stop and get stranded there with the front wheel locked up and I only had about 2 miles to go so I just kept powering through it. It finally got so hot that the seals in the caliper melted and it freed up and I made it home.

As soon as I realized what was going on I checked the front brake lever and it was just as it should be with plenty of free play. When I left work about 10 miles before this happened the bike rolled freely.

The bike is an 87 with about 11000 miles and because I just bought it I have no idea if its ever had the brake fluid changed. More than likely not. Is there any way that the brake fluid was so contaminated that it started to expand for some unknown reason? My first thought was that maybe the front wheel bearings went out but after checking it over they are fine.

It happend so suddenly that it makes no sence to me. Just like you were crusing along and you pulled the front brake with the throttle on. It didn't come on so fast that the front end dropped but very noticeable instant decelleration.

The front brake has worked perfectly since I bought it and could stop you on a dime.

I've had bikes all my life and these brake systems are nothing complicated. But for the life of me I can't figure out why it would do what it did.

Anyone have any idea??????

I need a new rotor and caliper for sure. What about the master cylinder? The rotor is so warped now that I'm gonna hang it in the garage. lol If it didn't have any holes you could use it for a bowl.

Does anyone have the whole setup that I could take off you hands? Might as well replace the master also. Just to be sure.

1987 Long Savage, 2006 crf450r
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Anyone ever had this happen??? Or heard of thi
Reply #1 - 07/25/10 at 13:16:57

This seems to prove the point I was trying to make LAST MONTH.
Why would your brakes get lock up like this?  Fluid contamination with water.  Water boils at 212°  brake fluid isn't supposed to boil to 380° or higher.

Change the fluid every few years and avoid trouble.
If it ain't clear, change it.

WWW   IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Re: Anyone ever had this happen??? Or heard of thi
Reply #2 - 07/25/10 at 16:57:41

I don't know if these cylinders have a check valve or not. If they do and it gets dirt in it or just goes bad it won't let the fluid return and will keep the pressure on the calipers. Now you would have dragging pads and hot brakes.
                                                                                Ride Safe
                                                                                Marine5317

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 01:27:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone ever had this happen??? Or heard of this???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.