Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Highest Mileage on a Savage? (Read 207 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Highest Mileage on a Savage?
07/25/10 at 09:21:45

Most all modern bikes have a long lifespan if they are maintained and the oil is changed on a regular basis, so what is the highest mileage anyone on here has showing on a savage, what if any problems has it had.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Highest Mileage on a Savage?
Reply #1 - 07/26/10 at 01:08:42

Most Savages in the wild "die" because they are parked in a garage and ignored to death.   Then they won't start and they get sold for nothing.   (Yeah!! We'll buy them !!)

The "active" savages out in the wilds of suburbia eventually die because of NO OIL -- somebody forgets to check it.  (we buy them and sell off all the pieces)

First real cause of long term death for a wild Savage is the cam chain stretching beyond what a stock adjuster can accommodate.   It goes crunch on them and that's it for a normal owner.   (Verslagen can fix that up for you !!)

Slowest most insidious long term cause of slow death for a suburban owner is low idle speed slowly killing the cam bearings.   When the head begins to knock, that's all she wrote for normal owners.   (Poo, I can fix that ...)

============================

Savages around here die because the owners get too old to ride or the human suddenly gets cancer and dies on us.   We can always fix the bike (we know how to fix all the issues above).

Or they get bobbered completely out of existence -- take your pick.

=============================

Other than that -- we have a lot of 1987 Savages running here on the list.   That's as old as they get as 87 was the year the Savage came out.   Highest mileage is over 100,000 miles and building.

« Last Edit: 07/27/10 at 01:11:18 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/26/10 at 02:01:09

O/f ... I love it when you talk like that .....   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #3 - 07/26/10 at 05:20:14

Any machine can be kept running indefinitely by replacing or rebuilding parts. The question to ask may be 'what's the highest mileage on a Savage/S40 without a top or bottom end or drive train work' That is, no valve, cylinder, piston, cam chain, transmission, or clutch work? And on original pulleys and drive belt.

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

Reply #4 - 07/26/10 at 05:21:18

2007- 8749 miles

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 07/26/10 at 05:49:47

BuckRYCA wrote on 07/26/10 at 05:20:14:
Any machine can be kept running indefinitely by replacing or rebuilding parts. The question to ask may be 'what's the highest mileage on a Savage/S40 without a top or bottom end or drive train work' That is, no valve, cylinder, piston, cam chain, transmission, or clutch work? And on original pulleys and drive belt.

Does that count putting in a VerSlavy cam chain tensioner/adjuster?  If that is allowed then:
63k+ miles.  (2002.  bought used with 3800 miles about 3.5 years ago...  I think  Undecided )

If you don't allow a VerSlavy mod, then (like OF said) not many will make it to 25k without.. issues.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 07/26/10 at 22:29:26

Mines a 2000 with 24,000 miles coming up on it. The outside
doesn't look much like original, but the motor except for a plug
change and OF's air filter mod, is all original under the hood.
Oh yeah, I took out the nylon spacer too. I got it with 9k on it
three seasons ago.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/26/10 at 22:32:15

'96 with a verslavy, 46k miles
'8802 with a verslavy, 33k miles

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 07/26/10 at 23:59:42

02 Savage...42,000 miles. No repairs needed as yet. Greg D changed my original cam chain at 32,000.  Still had a ways to go. Im shooting for 50,000 by end of riding season but might not get there because our summer was so late getting here. Bike still looks brand new. Lancers cam, Supertrapp, K@N air filter and rejetted.
Best buy yet was Lancers cam. Well worth the money. Not sure if he still sells them tho.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/27/10 at 01:07:33

Serenity's original engine -- 57,000 miles without doing anything but changing the oil and the filter ??  

Duh, you've really given us a trick set of parameters to deal with now,  nobody is around here is gonna NOT check their cam chain tensioner and deal correctly with it when the time comes, so saying your initial cam chain check is "engine death" is really kinda nonsensical.

You are going to have to pull your clutch side engine cover and pay attention to your cam chain tensioner around 15,000 miles (give or take 5,000 miles for luck of the draw).

Death by excessive performance modifications -- now that's another real cause of engine death around here (my favorite !!)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #10 - 07/27/10 at 08:36:11

Quote:
You are going to have to pull your clutch side engine cover and pay attention to your cam chain tensioner around 15,000 miles (give or take 5,000 miles for luck of the draw).

Ain't that the truth.

My thread "Engine Tapping/Clicking when hot"

turned out it was my cam chain, tensioner and adjuster.
Got a verslavy adjuster and then ordered factory parts for the rest.
Miles were RIGHT AT 15,527

I really need to update that thread. I have before and after pics of the adjuster which was about to fail to the point of engine death

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:19:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highest Mileage on a Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.