Decisions decisions! (Read 111 times)
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Decisions decisions!
07/25/10 at 01:08:47

New rear tire time, its shot at 4880 miles. Front looks almost new. Oem irc tires. 2007 S40 third owner. 2200 when i bought it
Logged about 2600 of those miles in the last 6 weeks.
Local harley shop has met 880s and some chinese thing he sells a lot of. Thing is i hear a LOT of folks complaining about the mets breaking loose in tight curves or worse yet when wet.
I hear a LOT of good things about the pirelli route 66's which is kind of the way i want to go. I do a lot of corner carveing and rarely hit the slab. So a good gripping softer compound should work well for me.

Now the decision is the mets i can get monday(i think), pirellis ill have to order and take another day or two anyway unless some shop in springfield has em.

Manufacturer of course reccomends you change em both, not to run two different brands. Ive seen a few say they ran em different in here and mentined no problems. THOUGHTS?

Now the rear is listed at a 140/80-15 M/C 67H

Closest pirelli i can find is a 140/90-15 70H
Anyone have rubbing problems with the taller tire?

Now the big question is, do i go cheap chinese till fall and then replace both with mets or pirellis?
Or do i just go ahead and put a pirelli or met on the rear now and hope the front lasts till the rears ready to go toes up again? THEN replace them both?

Either way it sucks, weekend and start of the week is shot. Withdrawl symptoms setting in already...lol

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Decisions decisions!
Reply #1 - 07/25/10 at 07:33:11

You obviously have to acquire another bike. That way, whenever one needs maintenance you can ride the other.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 07/25/10 at 08:30:27

lone my mets
lil slick 1st 100 miles think just the form release was wearing off..

my oem rear didnt last 5k either..i found metzs on sale on line got new tubes and liners had them boith mounted all for under 300..got over 8k on them now..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/25/10 at 09:10:50

every tire acts differently on different bikes for different riders.
and brand new tires vs. old tires is another story.

so take every thing someone else says with a little salt.  and ask a few questions, how heavy, performance mods, how old.

D404's is a pretty common tire here, it was on my bike when I got it.  It performed well, good handling, good mileage.  and when I went to replace it, the local guy had it cheap.  But this tire didn't get the same mileage as the first.  Why I thought, same load, same route, same nut riding it.  So it down to tire quality and new vs old.  You see I doubt the PO rode it much even though the tires were half worn when I got it.  So the tires were hardened a bit with age.  then compare that to my new tires that got about 20% less miles on them.  So at that point I went on the net for some other reviews and they said the tires were crap.  Why I thought, all of them big cruisers, 500 - 600 lbs bikes.  Dunlop makes heavy tire for them D401? why are they using this one?  wrong tire on the wrong bike.

I've only heard one story here were a guy mismatched the tires and got bad performance.  More or less a hard front with a soft rear.  I think as long as you keep to the same type of tire it'll be ok, both high mileage or high performance.  and don't mix the 2 it'll be ok.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #4 - 07/25/10 at 14:15:24

Id seen one or two here talk about the mets being a lil slick. Then i got to reading tire reviews online last night and about 25% of them were complaining about the mets breaking free on wet pavement, corners and in the rain. Some 650s, 800-900cc bikes and then some heavy Hawgs in the 1500cc range.

I ride agressively, and yeah i know theres a good 100 mile breakin on any tire. But it just seemed folks were a whole lot happier with the pirellis rt66s. Which is the crutch of the matter, local has mets and dont carry pirellis. Guess i can go to springfield and look around or else bite the bullet and order online.

Just not sure i want to mount, a met on the back(or pirelli) then leave that crummy IRC tire on the front. Still looks good, almost new. But man does it grab lil grooves n waves in the asphalt.

Charon, caught he!! just to get back into the sport with this bike. Id like another, good 650r, maybe a 1200 bandit but its not in the stars right now. Got to suffer through with one bike for now...lol
Guess i need to go dismount the tire off the bike so i can try to get something done tomorrow. Have to settle for rideing the quad for a couple days i guess. Just wont be the same. :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/25/10 at 14:29:56

Wolfman wrote on 07/25/10 at 14:15:24:
Just not sure i want to mount, a met on the back(or pirelli) then leave that crummy IRC tire on the front. Still looks good, almost new. But man does it grab lil grooves n waves in the asphalt.

them grooves will catch any tire if you don't have a fork brace.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 07/25/10 at 14:56:39

Yeah thats one of the mods i plan to do this winter or when funds allow it. Thinking about a Tkat as its not as pricey as the superbrace. Got one cheap laying around?...lol
Some progressive shocks or maybe intruder or sportster shocks...depending on cost. Lightbar as i like to ride of an evening and at night as well. Lot i want to do, just got to be able to afford it.

Just read a lot of reviews that said the pirellis had improved ride and handleing, would'nt grab them lil rain groves as bad. What i hate is new smooth asphalt next to old asphalt and theres a lil lip.

We were getting the annual goldwing convention here for a couple of years. But they gripped about the roads so much i think they went elsewhere...lol At the time MO was listed as the 49th state with the worst roads. Arkansas was the only one worse then us. Our roads are getting pretty crummy.
Get these big expensive new divergeing cloverleaf overpasses(first in the country) that cost millions but we cant seem to keep a nice smooth road with no heat humps, asphalt breakup or potholes. Go figure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:38:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decisions decisions!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.