Send Topic Print
Which one? (Read 792 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Which one?
Reply #30 - 07/24/10 at 09:42:13

The bike's are lean from the factory. If you get any less restrictive muffler you ought to rejet. I choose Screaming eagle becuase thats what Ive got off ebay for $20. Works great and/but its loud.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #31 - 07/24/10 at 09:59:26

Yea, I am wary that I may have to rejet, hopefully I am capable of doing that myself Smiley I know there are step by step info on it out there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 07/24/10 at 10:06:33

not hard at all if you are capable of turning a wrench or screwdriver.
don't even have to remove the carb, although a little easier if you can the 1st time.  As the screws are a bear to get loose.  but i've gripped them with a vice grip popped them off and replaced them with allen head screws.

get a set of jets from lancer and a mirror and you're good to go

WWW   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #33 - 07/24/10 at 10:16:33

I'm hoping no rejet needed, the muffler still has the baffle in. I may just bring it to the shop if I cant get it right though.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #34 - 07/24/10 at 11:15:53

Stock, unmolested, in compliance with Federal/state/local laws, and friendly to my neighbors. It must make some noise as pedestrians/bicyclists ahead of me often turn to look. Or maybe the noise is so different to what they normally hear -- not many thumpers on the road around here. Lots of the Rolling Thunder crowd. Anyways, I wear earplugs, and I don't rely on what noise I make to make me more visible, safer. If you're running a loud pipe, you're adding to the bad feelings against motorcyclists. Take a look at http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php for example.

« Last Edit: 07/25/10 at 13:08:00 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #35 - 07/24/10 at 11:18:29

I noticed the pilot screw on the carb is exposed and does not have the plug on it, must have been adjusted by the previous owner.  Stock right now does not backfire, only pops once when I shut off. I may try giving it a 1/4 turn if it starts backfiring too much.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #36 - 07/24/10 at 11:43:47

It will definitely be slightly louder but it's not even nearly as bad as some I've heard going by me.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #37 - 07/25/10 at 00:09:40

groupus wrote on 07/23/10 at 13:28:24:
i've got this muffler, not sure what it is, but i got it at a swap meet for $20. some sort of harley aftermarket for probably a dyna. bolts right on (though should have a reduction collar on the header), sounds great, gets lots of complements, straight through but with a scoop baffle for good back pressure.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs049.ash2/35790_596576174760_359...

wrapped the pipe too. cheapest i could find off ebay, 30 ft but used about half that. sanded and sprayed the header w/ bbq paint first to protect from rust.

i also have a stock dyna muffler (i think) that i might sell. bolts don't quite line up so would need to make a simple extension. nothing a saw and drill couldn't do

can you PLEASE tell me about your seat and fender set up and tell me how i can do the same!!

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #38 - 07/25/10 at 00:14:29

Arnold wrote on 07/24/10 at 09:59:26:
Yea, I am wary that I may have to rejet, hopefully I am capable of doing that myself Smiley I know there are step by step info on it out there.

the hardest part about rejetting is pulling the carb but in some cases you dont even have to do that. just loosen up the flanges that connect it to the engine and airbox and turn the bottom towards you. unscrew the bottom (float bowl) and the pilot and main jet are right there for the pickin. i pulled mine off and took it to a nearby super cool shop where the guy matched a jet for me one size bigger.

i am NOT a mechanic but getting to know your bike like this will save you soooo much money and it's fun. just careful not to strip screwa on that carb.

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #39 - 07/25/10 at 00:18:45

BuckRYCA wrote on 07/24/10 at 11:15:53:
Stock, unmolested, in compliance with Federal/state/local laws, and friendly to my neighbors. It must make some noise as pedestrians/bicyclists ahead of me often turn to look. Or maybe the noise is so different to what they normally hear -- not many thumpers on the road around here. Anyways, I wear earplugs, and I don't rely on what noise I make to make me more visible, safer. If you're running a loud pipe, you're adding to the bad feelings against motorcyclists. Take a look at http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php for example.

"The intense sound caused by loud motorcycles easily triggers an involuntary stress response commonly known as "flight or flight." This results in the secretion of adrenaline, with ensuing spikes in cardio-respiratory rates, muscle tension, and elevated blood pressure. "...from your website...sounds like fun to me Grin

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #40 - 07/25/10 at 00:25:57

anyway...right now i run a dyna that i haven't seen anyone else runnning and i don't really like the sound. it's definently lower and louder but it doesnt expose as much of that single cylinder engine as i want it to. I am thinking about the BCB drag pipe as well but i havent heard from anyone that has one so i am a little skeptical as to it's performance. and like i said earlier, i am looking forward to a rejet. it takes very little time and makes you feel like you know what going on under your...um....butt...down there where the fuel meets the air. Grin

i am working on bobbing this bike

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #41 - 07/25/10 at 00:31:07

BuckRYCA wrote on 07/24/10 at 11:15:53:
Stock, unmolested, in compliance with Federal/state/local laws, and friendly to my neighbors. It must make some noise as pedestrians/bicyclists ahead of me often turn to look. Or maybe the noise is so different to what they normally hear -- not many thumpers on the road around here. Anyways, I wear earplugs, and I don't rely on what noise I make to make me more visible, safer. If you're running a loud pipe, you're adding to the bad feelings against motorcyclists. Take a look at http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php for example.

sorry i had to get this one in here too in case someone didnt visit your link......."Do not approach or attempt to reason with motorcycle riders."

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #42 - 07/25/10 at 03:10:42

for a stock engine with stock carb the dyna is very inexpensive, sounds good and will perform better than anything else you can put on it.
you can find literally hundreds of them on ebay for as low as $25/pair + shp
don't pay $50 for just one unless it looks brand new and you like the guy and just want to get it from him.

drag pipes are notoriously loud and harsh sounding unless baffled, which helps the sound a bit, but they rob the engine of power and are
difficult to tune well if at all.
I have only seen one bike with a drag pipe that was tuned well and he was an engineer with superior bike wrenching skills and had a shop dyno to work with  I

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #43 - 07/25/10 at 05:25:12

That's exactly the same info that kept me from getting the BCB drag pipe although it is baffled and they claim no rejetting is needed (I emailed them). By the way they responded quickly to my email which indicate possible good customer support Smiley

RTC, are those the rear turn signals from BCB?

IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #44 - 07/25/10 at 08:37:25

Arnold wrote on 07/25/10 at 05:25:12:
That's exactly the same info that kept me from getting the BCB drag pipe although it is baffled and they claim no rejetting is needed (I emailed them). By the way they responded quickly to my email which indicate possible good customer support Smiley

RTC, are those the rear turn signals from BCB?

no the signals are from ebay... somthin like $12. i got the idea from babyhog

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:30:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which one?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.