Send Topic Print
Which one? (Read 792 times)
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Which one?
Reply #15 - 07/23/10 at 09:52:20

I got a S E turnout and had to modify the muffler bracket.
It seems that the Dyna is basically a direct matchup to the stock bracket location.
how are your fab skills?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #16 - 07/23/10 at 09:58:17

Well, I can use a drill but I dont have any welding equipment. I think the eBay sellers of both the SE and the Dyna included instructions. But I have the same feeling like the SE will require some drilling as where the Dyna is a straight fit.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #17 - 07/23/10 at 10:26:57

I chose Dyna out of the choices you had available; but you really didn't give yourself enough options. I have a Dyna on one Savage, and a Sportster muffler on another. The Sportster muffler is quieter than the Dyna and only required about a 1/4 turn out on the idle jet screw to get the bike to run smooth after the swap. Also, you don't have to pay the $50+ dollars the eBay money makers are wanting for the stock take-off pipes. With patience you can pick one up for $10-$20 even on eBay from an honest individual who isn't marking up for a big profit. Just be sure and get a pipe that doesn't have the crossover outlet.

Now for personal preference, I like the louder sound of the Dyna muffler on another bike better, but it did require some tuning of the needle and its spacer to get a richer mix across a wider power band. The Sportster pipe was by far the easiest setup; and only barely louder than the stock pipe. The stock pipe really is pretty good, but I just didn't like the extra weight it added; otherwise I would have just left them on. However, for best overall sound and performance; I really love the Supertrapp on my bagger Savage. Beautiful sounding pipe without being obnoxiously loud. It also performs excellently, even though it isn't the best looking pipe in my opinion.

John
http://www.catoosatrading.com/Motorcycles_for_sale.html

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #18 - 07/23/10 at 10:57:18

I looked into the supertrapp, it seems nice but $419, darn...

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/detail.asp?ItemID=728-50650

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/23/10 at 11:06:43

YIKES! Its gone UP. I think I gave about 300, which wasnt like buying a malt & a burger, but Im glad I got it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #20 - 07/23/10 at 11:10:37

Exactly, which is why I am looking at my other options.

BlueCollar has the drag pipe and tape for $155, but I hear bad things about drag pipe and loss of power. Although theirs is the long baffled one so it may just look like a drag pipe and perform just like a street one.

What you guys think of this:

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/web/Suzuki-Savage-S40/Suzuki-Savage-Drag-Pipe-Ex...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 07/23/10 at 13:22:52

If I wasnt wanting to jet it or spend a ton, Id go with a Dyna. If you dont like it, you arent in a lot of $$$ or time & you can try something else, but if you go with something that costs a lot, then youre kinda skrude if you dont like it. If the dyna means ya need a rejet, then so what? Its not a big deal, really. Its a one beer job, unless ya drink one while draggin out the tools, then its a 2 beer job, unless you need one more while ya put the tools up,, then its a 3 beer job!
Just lay hands on a hand held impact before stepping into it & a smart guy would get some Never Sieze & a JIS screwdriver tip to go in the impact. Talk to digger about where to get those tips, I cant 'member..sorry. You could look it up, tho & not bug the guy,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #22 - 07/23/10 at 13:28:24

i've got this muffler, not sure what it is, but i got it at a swap meet for $20. some sort of harley aftermarket for probably a dyna. bolts right on (though should have a reduction collar on the header), sounds great, gets lots of complements, straight through but with a scoop baffle for good back pressure.

wrapped the pipe too. cheapest i could find off ebay, 30 ft but used about half that. sanded and sprayed the header w/ bbq paint first to protect from rust.

i also have a stock dyna muffler (i think) that i might sell. bolts don't quite line up so would need to make a simple extension. nothing a saw and drill couldn't do

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #23 - 07/23/10 at 15:05:59

Beautiful bike, that's the route I want to go with mine. I may go with the Dyna for ease, so I shouldnt spend more than say $40 on it?

As far as the tape goes, do you I have to spray the chrome headers before wrapping? I dont have a sander here so it'd be a time consuming job to sand by hand (a many beers job)...

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 07/23/10 at 15:19:06

The advantages of the stock muffler more low end power the extra weight is down low so lowers the center of gravity and balances the weight of the pulleys and belt on the other side.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #25 - 07/23/10 at 19:38:30

Currently I have a stock one drilled out like the pic Routy posted.  Plans are for a Raask drag pipe, one piece if I can get it, and to rejet, recarb and a lot of other re and re.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 07/23/10 at 19:59:10

I always wondered why 1/2 the Sav s40's are going down the road lopsided. I never noticed that they all have one thing in common,.....a muffler mod !  Shocked Wink
bill67 wrote on 07/23/10 at 15:19:06:
The advantages of the stock muffler more low end power the extra weight is down low so lowers the center of gravity and balances the weight of the pulleys and belt on the other side.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #27 - 07/23/10 at 23:36:26

hey arnold.  i was fortunate to get a supertrapp with the 95 savage i recently purchased which was a deal maker for me.  sorry to rub it in  Wink  i am in the process of bobbing it out and got the seat conversion kit from BCB.  their product looks fantastic and is worth every penny if you are going to make it look nice.  i just got the seat kit with the licence frame rather then the whole set but im sure if their pipe is as good quality as the rest of their stuff your getting a quality product.  also remember when your wrapping the pipe that you do from exhaust to head rather then the other way around to prevent dirt from getting in the folds

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #28 - 07/24/10 at 04:32:54

Good to know, I've always read from heads  down with the tape. Makes sense though. Still havent bought any muffler yet. I'm thinking though Smiley
Make sure to post a picture of your bike in progress.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #29 - 07/24/10 at 09:38:25

Well, I just bought those screamin eagle,

15' of black exhaust wrap, high temp black silicone spray and hose clamps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:21:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which one?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.