Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Which one?
Reply #1 - 07/23/10 at 05:39:45

Why?

Free, easy and avaliable.  I relly didn't like the look of the big stock pipe.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/23/10 at 05:50:49

I dont really like the stock pipe either, looks heavy and pretty small hole back there, sounds pretty restricted. I think more power can be heard from a muffler than the stock one.

I can get the HD ones for around 50-60 bucks. Drag pipe is new and a little more but I want to hear stories before I make a decision.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 07/23/10 at 06:03:54

You really should have put the option for leaving it stock in the poll. Some don't like extra noise. Some prefer to just ride instead of messing with the bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #4 - 07/23/10 at 06:12:10

Charon wrote on 07/23/10 at 06:03:54:
You really should have put the option for leaving it stock in the poll. Some don't like extra noise. Some prefer to just ride instead of messing with the bike.

I agree, many are still running the stock pipe and like that just fine.  I did not go with the dnya for more noise and I did not get much more, I liked the look better.  But there are many who like stock.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 07/23/10 at 06:14:54

Stock pipe is no longer an option for me, those 3 are the ones I cant decide on. I do ride as much as I can and in between rides, I mess with the bike.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 07/23/10 at 06:20:24

All those are baffled, I realize that I probably wont get more noise and that's not really what I am after or I would get one bored out. I picked baffled mufflers because I dont want to have to rejet and I like the look. Not saying there's anything wrong with the stock pipe but as a matter of preference, look, sound, I'd like to replace it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/23/10 at 06:50:28

Stock for me

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 07/23/10 at 06:58:32

No matter what a poll says, don't mean it would be the best decission for you. I know it wouldn't for me. We all have our own thoughts on everything,....and a poll proves it. Me,...I wanted a touch more noise, and less restriction Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/23/10 at 06:59:24

HD Sportster
Got the bike that way, and it is set up OK.
Blew the baffles out on 2 of them already, but got them free.
Just go to your local HD dealer, schmooze with the techs and ask if they have any "take off" mufflers laying around that you can have or buy cheap. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
OR, if you have HD riding friends, they may have saved their old mufflers when they upgraded.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/23/10 at 07:00:53

I see there is no right answer Smiley You guys making it even more difficult.

Another thing, I want to wrap my headers with exhaust tape, who has done it?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 07/23/10 at 07:11:18

Routy wrote on 07/23/10 at 06:58:32:
No matter what a poll says, don't mean it would be the best decission for you. I know it wouldn't for me. We all have our own thoughts on everything,....and a poll proves it. Me,...I wanted a touch more noise, and less restriction Wink
http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010/03/14/bikepics-1926789-full.jpg

So drilling worked for you, darn, a 4th option...

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #12 - 07/23/10 at 07:12:55

youzguyz wrote on 07/23/10 at 06:59:24:
HD Sportster
Got the bike that way, and it is set up OK.
Blew the baffles out on 2 of them already, but got them free.
Just go to your local HD dealer, schmooze with the techs and ask if they have any "take off" mufflers laying around that you can have or buy cheap. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
OR, if you have HD riding friends, they may have saved their old mufflers when they upgraded.

Yea, I can get the real HD screaming eagle used on eBay for $50. Is that too much?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/23/10 at 07:26:55

IDK about the dyna being less restrictive than stock, not sure of your year model & which jets came stock, but, I know the later models came out of the factory running pretty lean & any less restrictive muffler is gonna need a rejet, but, its not hard, really. My choice  for looks is the Dyna. I think its the best looking muffler out there that will slip right on. I went with the Supertrapp, b/c its tuneable. Fewer disks = more restriction. With 4 or 5 disks, it'd be like the stock muffler. But its a pricey dude. Depending on what year model/factory jets you have, the Dyna may not need a rejet. The stock muffler IS a heavy thing & not at all attractive to my eye. If youre getting really good mileage & not suffering from a bunch of loud backfires, stock may be the smart option.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 07/23/10 at 07:36:31

Good info, I'm leaning toward some eBay seller who has an older HD Screamin Eagle, wants $50 for it. It seems it will slip on easy but the Dyna is probably the easiest conversion for roughly the same price.
I have a bone stock 96. With stock muffler, mileage is good and not much backfiring which I actually dont mind, just the big poof when I shut off is always there, flame on... Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Which one?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.