Idle will not hold (Read 182 times)
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Idle will not hold
07/22/10 at 12:07:15

Hi All,

My bike seems to be running great when its moving.  Acceleration is good I only get the occasional puff when shifting from a high rev to the next gear and a tiny bit on shut off.  I have a raptor petcock.

Lately the idle does not seem to want to hold steady.    I have a tach on my bike and when i come to a stop it will go down to 1500rpm(that is what I have it set at with the bike warmed up) but then it will slowly start to fall.  She will get down to about 900 rpm within 20 to 30 seconds.  That is about the time i give her some gas to keep her from dieing.  Oddly I do not seem to have any problems when I am warming her up in the morning.  Any ideas?

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Idle will not hold
Reply #1 - 07/22/10 at 12:26:42

Sounds like it is too rich on the pilot circuit.  Maybe try a smaller pilot jet and adjust the fuel screw (or air screw, depending on your carb).

I am guessing your bike can start without using the choke.  If it requires choke, this post is probably crap.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/22/10 at 14:20:27

So why is your rpm so high at warm idle?

one symptom may lead to the other.

WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #3 - 07/22/10 at 17:01:12

Exhaust valves or exhaust blockage will cause a build up in pressure and deterioration of performance over time.  Check to make sure you are getting strong pressure out he tail pipe and a fast gust when you twist the throttle.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #4 - 07/22/10 at 17:47:09

When the weather is warm(as it has been lately) I do not need the choke, but I do on cooler days.  I have adjusted the Fuel/air screw to no avail. I think I have a smaller jet around here somewhere and will try it if all else fails.

I have the idle set high to compensate for this issue.  I had it set at 1200 but ran the risk of stalling out when I clutch in on a rapid deceleration.  I should also mention that this issue is not consistent.  Some days it idles fine, other days it is really bad.  I have not found anything consistent with the weather on when it works or not.

I don't think my exhaust is blocked, but It may be time for a valve adjustment.  

Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen. --Einstein
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/22/10 at 17:59:30

I would think that you need a larger idle jet, not smaller, mainly cause won't idle.
take a look and let us know what size you got.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 07/22/10 at 18:50:30

verslagen1 wrote on 07/22/10 at 17:59:30:
I would think that you need a larger idle jet, not smaller, mainly cause won't idle.

Ya it's possible the idle mixture is on the lean side, but I am guessing it's rich, because the problem does not occur until the engine warms up.  I just had a "wandering idle" problem on another bike, that improved when I rejetted the pilot.. actually leaner than stock.

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #7 - 07/22/10 at 19:35:56

I think my memory is correct. I have a 52.5 pilot and 152.5 main.  The Fuel/air screw is 1.75 turns out.  I have a wrapped pipe with a supertrapp (8 discs) and a cone air filter.  Oh and I live in Portland Oregon so I am right at sea level.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/22/10 at 22:54:43

You sound like you are ballpark with your jetting,... idle change may just be because of the heat... Mine does that some when it's hot...
If you don't think it's that,.. I'd look at the slide, to see if it's sticking.... or the decel valve...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/23/10 at 07:08:54

mine was similar due to leaking membrane in petcock. On warm idle rpm drop and drop, and bike eventually dies.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/23/10 at 07:35:02

When I fire it up & ride off, Im on 1/2 choke, no matter how warm the weather. The idle is low, so I reach down & tweak it up a bit. After the choke is off, ( about 5 minutes down the road), it needs a bit more idle adjust, up a tad. As I ride & it warms up, the idle starts coming up, so I adjust it as I ride, a tweak here, a tweak there. By the time Ive been on the road 20 or 30 minutes, its at full opersting temp & its all settled in. This doesnt bother me at all. I just figure its part of the ride on this bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 07/23/10 at 08:31:32

Just to rule out the gas cap.. crack it open slightly next time the idle starts acting up.  Maybe the vent is partially clogged, fine when you first start out, but later has a hard time "keeping up" with ventilation.

IP Logged
wolfmrp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Portland Or
Reply #12 - 07/29/10 at 18:53:11

I leaned it out a 1/4 turn on the fuel/air screw and in order to shut up a friend of mine I put some Marvel mystery oil in the tank(talking to him you would think that stuff cures AIDS).  I have the idle set at about 1300 rpm now and it seems to be holding a better.  That said, the temperature dropped in Portland.  I think it is heat related.  in the cool mornings it seems to ride perfectly.  At the end of the day, when its hot, I am still getting some awkwardness in the idle.  We'll see what happens when it warms up again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:35:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle will not hold

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.