Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
exhaust soot clue to pinpoint leak (Read 94 times)
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
exhaust soot clue to pinpoint leak
07/22/10 at 08:24:22

Coming back from a 60 mile, almost non-stop ride yesterday when the bike started bucking, farting huge backfires and shutting down. This happened when I hit traffic at slower speeds and a couple of lights. Was fine during the non-stop run, but wouldn't hold an idle at traffic lights, had to hold the throttle to keep from stalling. switched the petcock to Prime, no help. Have almost 1/2 tank of gas, so that's ruled out

Got home and noticed a huge amount of exhaust soot on the case just in front of the left front peg. I'll be looking at the exhaust header bolts tomorrow when I have the day off, and also examining the exhaust system from head back to the Trapp.

But really, I think my good luck streak with this bike may be at an end. My guess is exhaust valve issue. But, my bike did get knocked over last week. Best hope is that something got knocked out of place causing the leak Undecided

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

FSO
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: exhaust soot clue to pinpoint leak
Reply #1 - 07/22/10 at 10:05:53

Get a new exhaust port gasket and install it carefully. After everything is back  together do a little rubber hammer on the head pipe, tapping it into the port and re tighten the bolts.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/22/10 at 10:18:18

Because of the proximity to the tip over,... I'd guess a piece of gunk in the floatbowl, either plugged a jet, or got stuck under the float needle seat...
The black sooting points to the needle seat...

Pull the carb bottom and clean in there...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 07/22/10 at 11:22:22

Thanks for the replies.

Had a couple of hours in between jobs today, so looked over the exhaust header bolts and scanned the system. Found nothing. I'll drop the carb bowl tomorrow. Could probably use a cleaning anyway, hasn't had one in years Lips Sealed

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/22/10 at 11:29:24

Well it's quite a reach to say the loose header will cause soot on the case near the footpeg.  Any damage to the exhaust system from the tip over?  The header shell is just that, a thin shell.  It could have a small leak and the real problem is a busted inner tube.  Could've sepparated at the header and pulled out at the supertrapp.  so it's worth looking at.

I'd go with Sero on this, more likely the tip over moved the dirt around and it found its way to the carb finally.  So you know the drill... clean it or seafoam it.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 07/23/10 at 21:43:11

Could also be a bad petcock.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:34:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust soot clue to pinpoint leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.