Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Awwriteee, heeeres what I found (Read 99 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Awwriteee, heeeres what I found
07/21/10 at 17:16:32

Since I was in there to replace the clutch throw out, I figgered I should look at the cam chain tensioner. Dang chain has a whoppin 5,000 miles on it & the tensioner was at 18 mm. So, I took a closer look. Tensiones was pointed down on the right side & was sitting low, so I picked it up[ & dangittt, the rear guide is busted I guess. Sure as hekk aint held up by the Chrome Bolt up on the jug, as I proved when I pulled that bolt & sumpin fell down "up in there".. So, I poked a rod in & raised the guide & felt nothing hit the rod, so the loop at the top must be broken off. So, while its down, I replaced the leaky O-ring on the clutch actuator rod where it goes thru the case. Hope I got one that'll work. The woman dropped my original into a collection of Orimgs, so, she handed me 3 & said she was sorry. Sadly, the 3 she gave me are all the same size. I put one in & turned the side cover up on end & put some 3in 1 oil on the shaft, to see if it leaks down past the o-ring.. Looks like I hasve plenty of time to get a replacement if it leaks, cuz now I gotta get a head gasket & a pair of cam chain guides. Looks like Ill finally have reason to torque those blasted head bolts. I spose I should get a new plug?

Anyone know if I can re-run it?

Im wonderin if I should pull the engine. I know how hard it was doing the head cover in the frame. Was a PITA.. Already got the Xauzt offit & the peg bolts are loose, brake pedal is a danglin, etc.

U no what? I remember how hard that was, doin the cam. Im pullin this engine.

Anyone wanna help?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Awwriteee, heeeres what I found
Reply #1 - 07/21/10 at 17:39:59

You don't need to pull the head to replace the rear guide.  
front doesn't wear much, at 5, you don't need to replace.
And a couple others (tutored by someone famous) replaced the rear guide w/o popping the head cover.  Just take off the primary gear and get the chain as loose as you can, then jam the guide up there.  And while you got the chain all exposed measure across 11 pins for half the allowed stretch.  check for sticky links.  and replace if you find any.

(left out an 'in' somewhere can you find it?)

« Last Edit: 07/23/10 at 09:02:25 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Awwriteee, heeeres what I found
Reply #2 - 07/22/10 at 07:24:02

Well, thats some good news right there! Gotta pull the gear off the crank, tho, huhh? Owell,, thats a lot easier than doing all the crap I was thinking.

BUT, the guides are factory stuff. 20,000 miles on them.
Im gonna fix the tensioner up,Ill do the welding & hope it hangs in there. I already put a wire on it to keep it from spitting its guts out. Seems to be holding up in there just fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 08:25:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Awwriteee, heeeres what I found

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.