Send Topic Print
It's Alive.... Almost. (Read 205 times)
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

It's Alive.... Almost.
07/21/10 at 13:27:49

Well my 86 Savage actually ran for a while yesterday. After a winter of rebuilding the carb, finding tools, tracing wiringI got to ride for about half an hour the other day. Next day, no spark, cleaned the plug (lots of soot on my new Iridium plug) and it started, sputtered, and died. Same thing, getting that plug out is murder, Ive tried to lean out the gas but don't know how far to set the screw in. Think I'll finally have to take it to the shop for fine tuning. But at least now I know it will run.

IP Logged
chromosful

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hungary
Re: It's Alive.... Almost.
Reply #1 - 07/21/10 at 13:56:37

Air filter is clean?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/21/10 at 16:03:06

A dirty air filter  won't stop an engine from running at slower.....and probably even crusing speeds.
A dirty (restrictive) air and/or fuel filter will at first only give a problem at WOT, then work its way down to lower speeds as time goes on w/o changing them.
This sounds to me like an undependable (unreliable) ignition system.
chromosful wrote on 07/21/10 at 13:56:37:
Air filter is clean?

« Last Edit: 07/23/10 at 09:13:17 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
chromosful

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hungary
Reply #3 - 07/22/10 at 04:38:59

If i can understand the problem  same like was me.My bike was wrong when the air filter was very dirty, the problem was like your.Have to change approx. 5000 miles.

IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/22/10 at 05:45:07

Air filter, good idea,I'll get a new one.  I plan on switching to a cone filter and a bullet muffler eventually, may be time for the air filter switch now.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/24/10 at 10:43:39

sounds electrical. Trace all your wires and make sure every connection is tight. After I got all my cylinder work done and threw in my new cam, I started riding around a bit to tinker with the VM carb from lancer. It ran like crap and every once in a while would just die and Id push it home. After a week or two of that it finally just wouldnt start anymore. No spark. Swapped ignition coil from Ineclipses savage, no change. Swapped CDIs....bam...that was the issue.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 07/30/10 at 07:35:27

Mine had a problem real sumular to what your talking about.  

The deaceleration enricher  (right side of carb , 3 screws) has a spring in it that OPENS-UP the choke circuit when the throdle closes.  

If you take the spring out then the "ENRICHMENT" get took out of the equation.  Leave the other componements in place , just leave the spring OUT.

Let us know if that solves the "soot on the sparkplug" problem.

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:28:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It's Alive.... Almost.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.