Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New to me 95 Savage in red (Read 730 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: New to me 95 Savage in red
Reply #15 - 07/22/10 at 06:12:06

wallysurfr wrote on 07/22/10 at 05:45:43:
BuckRYCA wrote on 07/21/10 at 09:38:37:

Is there links of how to's for this stuff?  Like a DIY section?

In the Technical Documents/Reference Section, the top thread contains links to many DIY things ...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Some of the links are broken.  And many things have been re-worked by others without the original posting being updated, so use your "Search" function too.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #16 - 07/22/10 at 15:11:23

Clymers describes a Tune-Up as
  • cylinder head and cylinder nuts and bolt tightening
  • adjustment of automatic decompression cable prior to adjusting valves
  • valve clearance measurement and adjustment
  • spark plug cleaning/re-gapping or replacement
  • carb idle speed adjustment

The automatic decompressor partially opens the exhaust valves to help the starter motor push that big piston.

If all your 6K-miles bike needs is polishing and new tires you got a deal at 1K$.

However a 'whistling/jingling noise coming from the block at high rpm' needs investigating. Isn't normal. Whistling, vacuum leak? -- I believe the accepted method for testing for leaks is to spray that area with aerosol brake cleaner while the bike is running.  Be careful, a fire extinguisher nearby would not be a bad idea.  Jingling? -- something loose?

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #17 - 07/22/10 at 16:16:25

1000$ is a decent deal on any drivable ok condition bike.  But wouldn't pay more than 2000 for a used s40/savage..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/23/10 at 06:36:32

I was reading through the DIY section... What are the symptoms of a loose CAM chain?  noisy block?  I thing doing that service is first on my list... after i adjust the valves.

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/23/10 at 07:51:41

A clacking is generally heard coming from around the oil filter cover when it's time to pull over.  But sometimes is chain dragging sound or just ticking.
The cam chain check in the tech section will walk you thru it.

WWW   IP Logged
bufbills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/27/10 at 05:47:50

I too went from a rebel to a savage. Last night, in fact. What a difference in power. I ended up with a 96' with 2360 miles on it for 1300. excellent condition. so far i am very pleased!!

IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/27/10 at 07:49:58

Sweet!  Sounds like a good deal too!  The power is a nice upgrade.

So far, I've done the following:

1. polished and cleaned her up
2. replaced battery
3. cleaned air filter
4. run some seafoam in gas and crankcase
5. replaced a fuse

I've got the following planned:

1. new front brake pads
2. adjust the valves
3. check cam chain tension
4. find out why she's whistling on deceleration...

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #22 - 07/27/10 at 08:46:33

Jingling sound....
Sometimes I hear my gremlin bell jingling down there.
Wink

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #23 - 07/27/10 at 18:52:01

You got a good deal. You might wanna replace the tubes and rub strips in the tires if there is any doubt on their age. A tube blowout can be a hurtful thing. Congrats on you new (to you) scoot.   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/28/10 at 05:20:36

Found out that my noises were coming from the headlight so I will break out the weather stripping this evening (If I have time) and tighten it up.

On a side note, I notice some oil on the lower right hand side of the crankcase (underneath).  Not enought to drip onto the road but it's there.  Is this common?  Would you say I need a new clutch side cover gasket?

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/18/11 at 08:01:52

Thread has been resurrected.

When I bought this bike the previous owner told me up front it will need new tires.  So, I got last season out of them and looked at them again yesterday and yes they are all cracked.  So, I know this is a topic of debate here but I'm wondering:

Can somone just tell me what to get?  I've read all morning about Kenda's, Pirelli's and Metzlers.  I want a balance between price and performance so I was leaning towards the Kendas.  Not sure what size I need or anything like that.  Any help is appreciated.  links?

I have stock spoke rims so I know I need tubes and strips.  If anyone can link me to the right ones that would be perfect (Maybe ebay?).  I just don't want to buy the wrong thing and have to ship it back.

Also, I've got a local guy who offered to get my new tires installed and clean my carb for $200.  Is this fair?

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #26 - 02/18/11 at 08:19:28

Here's the link from when I bought new tires for my bike:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1252079763/

Shinko 712 tires 100/90-19 on the front and 140/90-15 on the rear (slightly oversized)

I ordered these tires through a Honda dealer on Wed, they were there on Thur. I took in my wheels Fri morning and they had them replaced before I came back at lunch. Tires, Tubes, Rim Strips, Mounting and Spin Balancing out the door price of $186 (Very good investment in my opinion)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/18/11 at 08:26:38

thanks!  Yeah you can't really put a price on not falling on your face going 65... lol.

thanks for the link.  Since a guy i know is doing to work, does anyone know where to order the strips and tubes?  Do I need particular sizes?  I can source the tires.  but basically, I have to show up to his house with all the material.  He works out of his garage and not at a dealer so he doesn't have a "parts department" lol.

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #28 - 02/18/11 at 08:33:43

wallysurfr wrote on 02/18/11 at 08:26:38:
thanks!  Yeah you can't really put a price on not falling on your face going 65... lol.

thanks for the link.  Since a guy i know is doing to work, does anyone know where to order the strips and tubes?  Do I need particular sizes?  I can source the tires.  but basically, I have to show up to his house with all the material.  He works out of his garage and not at a dealer so he doesn't have a "parts department" lol.

You can order from one of the online dealers, or, there's a Suzuki dealer on rt. 35 in Neptune. The owner is a good guy, his prices are fair and he'll be able to help with no sales pressure. It's kind of a quiet place. Maybe give them a call.
Link: http://www.motorcyclestop.com/

FSO
  IP Logged
wallysurfr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 02/18/11 at 08:41:27

oh yeah!  I didn't think of that guy.  Drive by there all the time on the way to work but never thought of it.  Thanks for the advice!

1995 Savage in Red
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:13:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to me 95 Savage in red

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.