Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Freeway Freakout/Practice... (Read 331 times)
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Freeway Freakout/Practice...
07/20/10 at 21:02:49

I had a good friend (with bike experience) go with me yesterday for a "newbie putt". We warmed up on a fast two lane road down to Gilroy and my friend said I was doing really well. I love the backroads, was having a great time and feeling pretty confident about my riding. Then I ventured out on the freeway for the first time - which was the plan. He told me if/when I got nervous, or felt uncomfortable to get off the freeway and we'd just go the backroad home (More scenic anyway) no pressure.

We go on the onramp filled with more ruts and potholes I've ever seen, just in time to match wits with a huge 18 wheeler in the slow lane. Yikes what a start... I know 101 is probably not the best freeway to start with, but I figured it would be quiet, weekday, after commute traffic, etc. WRONG!
I made it about four exits or so? Maybe five miles? and then I had to get off, I was freaking out so badly. Friend says I never went past 50-55mph, he was watching me the whole time, said he could see my head going all over, he figured i was getting beaten by wind and maybe should have put my head down more, lean into the wind,etc. I had shut all my helmet airholes, zipped up my sleeves. I just kept thinking I didn't have enough safety gear to go this fast. (Had on leather jacket, boots, all the gear...but was thinking more like IronMan outfit)
The helmet felt like it was pushing into my cheeks, the jacket was lifting, which I could tolerate, but wish it wasn't moving so much.
The ruts in the road were freaking scariest.. the bike wobbled thru them, I kept thinking I was gonna wiggle/drop/skid all over the place. It was pretty awful. The only good thing was I didn't chicken out and go off at the first exit, I kept going for at least five or more before I gave up. Truth be told? The first few offramps I might have taken were full of ruts and I was more afraid of them than of exiting!

Have any Advice?  
More short term practice, do a few exits and get off, add a few at a time?
Better freeway condition to start with?
Windshield install? I like the look anyway - will a shield help that much? I already know I want to install WindVest one...but that won't solve all my problem. www.windvest.com

I already won't go out there on a weekend, will only go when it's off peak times to try again. If I'm going to go on group rides, I have to be able to manage a freeway, so I have to conquer it. Plus I don't like something I can't "get over"...  Angry

Thanks in advance - I'm grateful to have the forum to ask questions.

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Freeway Freakout/Practice...
Reply #1 - 07/20/10 at 21:16:17

Hay  "if it ain't a dirt bike you need a wind break in front".   big or little is you choice.

Run the speed the rest of the trafic is doing.

Stay off the super-slab as much as posible  (we all do)

I've done my share of 80-90 mph interstate riding keeping up with "get home from work" traffic.   You just have to TRUST you equipment !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/20/10 at 21:29:40

for the money, you can do just as well with a suzuki sport shield.

like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Sport-Windshield-VS700-VS800-VS1400-LS6...

but I like a national flyshield...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-XL-Flyscreen-Windshield-_W0QQcmdZViewIt...

In the beginning I couldn't do over 50 w/o a windshield.
but have come to enjoy the wind in my helmet.
the flyscreen keeps enough of the wind off the chest to make it endurable.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/20/10 at 22:14:55

Super slabs have all the joy of a dry cracker, even if they don't scare the crap out of ya'...
Training to be comfortable on them is like practicing for the dentist...

I only ride 'em when I gotta'..  and only as long as I gotta'...

Our bikes aren't built for it,... but really, I don't even like to ride freeways in a car...  an 18 wheeler would barely even notice the difference anyway...
if you ever get to the point that you aren't intimidated by an 18 wheeler going 75mph on your bike... sell it...

PS....I think my shorts are too tight,.. I'm right pissy today... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 07/21/10 at 02:13:39

As a new rider you're not the only one to have the head on wind scare ya at 60 MPH+. But you get used to it.

Situational awareness, situational awareness, and situational awareness are your friends. Be ALERT of what vehicles are around you. When you come up to a ramp/interchange, leave the two inner lanes as 'working lanes' so you don't to worry as much about people changing lanes.

Most of all though, you learn to get used to the wind hitting ya. If there is one occasion when the bike isn't going to fall, it's traveling straight and level at 60 MPH+. Once you get used to it, the single cylinder Savage feels like a BIG sewing machine just chugging along  Wink.

The key is NEVER get contempt, and ALWAYS pay attention to the dynamic traffic around you. And just because it's the interstate DOESN'T mean there isn't debris.

These are the things I've noticed as a noobie, but MOST importantly, listen to the experience of the veteran riders from this site!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/21/10 at 03:15:47

Oh man, there is nothing I like more than Cat. 2 hurricaine force winds in my face and on my body
I do like at least a face shield to keep stuff out of the eyes of course but otherwise ...  LET R BLOW ! !

You're a newbie rider and you are jumping on the 101 ?
not these days........
I grew up in N Cal  ... San Jose area... and I liked the freeways but they were not brutal like they are now
YOU NEED TO GET EXPERIENCE ON SMALLER ROADS
if you must go on the slab then just do what is necessary and get off
when you have more experience and are more comfortable then you can stretch your freeway legs

I like freeways in this part of the world; traffic moves at a good pace and I like the extended high speed riding
California, the NE and locals like Atlanta, Chicago etc are no fun though..........CRAZY PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO DRIVE THERE

IP Logged
onelunger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/21/10 at 04:45:47

Bikes are almost telepathicly linked to the rider it seems. If you are tense often times the bike will seem skittish and unstable where if you're relaxed, it will be also. My first advice would be to relax. Relax your arms and the death grip you most likely had on the bars. Unclinch the posterior and relax your leg muscles. I think this will help a ton w/ the way the bike feels. Rutted up roads will make the bike wander but don't let that get to you.

Next, find a better road to practice on. A good 2 lane road outside of town would be a MUCH better place to get accustomed to high speed riding. If you live right in the middle of town and it takes a while to get out, make a day ride of it. Get w/ a riding friend and head out of town. Stop at a "Ma and Pa" diner for lunch and head back. Not only is it good practice, these kinds of rides can be a HUGE stress reliever and are great fun.

Just keep practicing and stay at it. Eventually it'll become 2nd nature and then you can REALLY enjoy the ride w/o the stress of the "learning curve".

IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #7 - 07/21/10 at 04:52:52

onelunger wrote on 07/21/10 at 04:45:47:
Just keep practicing and stay at it. Eventually it'll become 2nd nature and then you can REALLY enjoy the ride w/o the stress of the "learning curve".

This is what I was hoping for also - since I passed my road test, and been out riding alone without another rider following me or me following them, I've got time to think, plan, experiment, relax. I go on the roads I want to, get off them when I want to, pull over when I want to..
My 20 minute ride yesterday around town - the bike finally felt LIGHT..like I had control, instead of the bike. It was a fun, happy empowering feeling. I've done 50-55 on a 2/2 lane road, and didnt like the resistance. I'm still waiting for the windshield to come in. I probably wont venture out onto the LIE probably til the end of the season, and it will be VERY early on a Sunday morning, probably for just a few exits, also.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/21/10 at 05:16:50

My wife put on over a 1000 miles on backroads before hitting any main 2 lane roads.She had no rider courses.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/21/10 at 05:23:28

I didnt even take mine more than a couple of traffic lights deep into town for months. I stayed out of town & on the rural roads for a couplke thousand miles, before I felt at ease with the idea of mixing it up w/ traffic & then, it wasnt easy. Go at YOUR pace, dont try to meet anyone elses expectations or do what you think "other people" """SHOULD"" be doing at this point. If it takes you a year to be able to run up an on ramp & ride 3 miles & get off & not have your knees shaking, then so what?
You really dont want to find out what happens to people who "push the envelope" learning to ride in traffic. Its not a place to be making mistakes & if you arent ready, you will. You got nothing BUT time, dont spend any of it in a hospital.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 07/21/10 at 06:27:31

And then about Ca roads ??
I feel for you.
I left Ca 4 yrs ago, (born there) and the only bad thing is that I'm still forced to drive my MH over those lousy roads to get to Arizona every winter. Angry Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #11 - 07/21/10 at 07:03:35

Yeah do alot of practicing on 2 lane speedways where the limit is around 55 and once your chugging along easily at 60 then try the 65+ highways.  Once your used to the wind bullying you, you get used to it.  Good mirrors I find give me confidence in lane changing on the highway.  

Are you interested in long distance touring or really need to get to work fast on your bike?  Cause you can get just about anywhere avoiding highways and for enjoyment you get more scenery and nice twists that you can lay the bike down in.  Even roads with 45mph limits don't really have good corners in em mostly ya barely have to lean.  So for fun country(lights are no fun) 35mph or less roads are the best.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 07/21/10 at 07:13:59

I had about 500 miles on my bike before I even thought about going up on the slab...when I hit 60 I thought I'd be pulled off the bike cuz of wind blast. Now I'm used to it but only in short bursts. The twisties are so much more fun and relaxing.
Many years ago, I took a trip from Bloomington IN to Mammoth Caves KY on an old Suzi GS650 (my roomates bike). I experienced rain, wind and even a little snow...most miserable trip I've ever taken with any kind of vehicle. It was back when the national speed limit was 55 and I still didn't like it. Now I take my time and only jump on the hiway when neccessary.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 07/21/10 at 13:10:27

Well, here's my two bits worth, which is exactly what it's worth, because in the end you have to go with what's comfortable to you. Wink

I'd get some more practice on small roads.  I put in over 500 miles on 45mph backroads, filling up with a gas can before I even rode into town on the backroads to use the gas station for the first time! Grin  First stoplight, I killed it. Roll Eyes  I got better with practice though.  Just ease into it, at your own pace.  And yeah, practice on the freeways in "off peak" hours, if there's any such thing around your area.

Windshield?  Yeah, if you don't like being blown around, definitely.  I haven't had one yet, but everytime I ride a friends' bike that has one, I keep thinking I need to get one. Grin  The feel of the wind in your face is indeed exhilerating, but at 65-75 mph, it can wear you down, and fatigue is never your friend while riding.

In the end, do what makes ya happy! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #14 - 07/21/10 at 14:40:49

darn, in my rush to "learn" the next skill I forgot my favorite rule: Ride your own Ride...Thanks for reminding me.

Did a short ride up Highway 9 this weekend, all nice twists and turns, nothing over 35 and it was perfect. I much prefer the backroads and I don't have to be anywhere fast on my bike, so who the hell cares when I get there. For the first time the ride was comfortable/not a bit scary there was no pressure to go fast with the traffic, nobody on my butt hoping I'd get out of the way, and the forest smells good. The benefit to growing up in the Bay Area is you know you can get almost anywhere via some odd city street. I'm going to lay off the big freeways for now, which is probably best until I have more overall practice/street time. IF friends don't wanna go via backroads, I'll meet them there later or pass on the ride. It's better than pushing myself and having to change my shorts when I get to my destination.  Roll Eyes

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:29:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Freeway Freakout/Practice...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.