Send Topic Print
bike won't start (Read 74 times)
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

bike won't start
07/20/10 at 14:08:23

I rode my Savage to work yesterday, ran just fine.  I hopped on it to leave, and it wouldn't start.  Engine not turning over, solenoid not clicking, nothing.  My lights work fine and the battery's practically brand new.  I made sure I had the kick stand up, in neutral, clutch in, key to on, engine switch on.  I've searched the forums with not much success.

I'm gonna take a look at it this evening.  Here are my guesses as to what's messed up:

1. fuses
2. clutch switch
3. ignition switch
4. engine switch

what else could it be?  I'm no electrician, but I see from the electrical diagram for the ignition system in the Clymer that there's a starter relay, ignition coil, etc., but I would think if any of those were bad then at least the solenoid would click, cause it looks like it comes first in the diagram.

where is the clutch switch located?  is it on the kickstand?  the transmission?  I didn't see it in the index of the Clymer.

thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: bike won't start
Reply #1 - 07/20/10 at 14:41:24

1. If your lights are on it's not the fuses
2. clutch switch is on the lever. shorting between the 2 contact, eliminates that.
3. If your lights are on it's not the ig switch
4. assume run/off switch, maybe
5. could be starter button, check for power here
6. starter relay, check for power here.
7. loose ground, check behind oil check window on engine.
8. loose connectors on battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/20/10 at 16:32:51

well, hoping you were wrong I went ahead and checked the fuses anyway (what can I say, I'm stubborn).  As you predicted, they were both fine.

I unplugged the wire going into the clutch switch and connected the contacts with the paperclip.  she started right up (if I'd only known all I needed was a paperclip to get home yesterday...)

so I took the switch off, opened it up, cleaned it up, put it back on, and all's well.

Thanks!

IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/22/10 at 06:28:33

Bryan wrote on 07/20/10 at 16:32:51:
I unplugged the wire going into the clutch switch and connected the contacts with the paperclip.  she started right up (if I'd only known all I needed was a paperclip to get home yesterday...)

That's rather MacGuyver of you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 07:30:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.