Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unseen damage from a drop (Read 146 times)
easywriter
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Unseen damage from a drop
07/20/10 at 07:34:05

One gal destroyed her windshield and footpeg during a low speed drop. She was shocked when I mentioned she had over $400 of damage based on my estimate. Other visible damage included the left mirror damaged, the brake fluid cover scraped, and the exhaust pipe scratched. I'm guessing there's probably some unseen damage. Can anyone suggest what to check for? Is my estimate reasonable? What other kind of damage should she check for? Also, is she better off fixing it herself or making an insurance claim? Thanks.

Riding in the Land of Oz with a 2003 Suzuki Savage 650.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: Unseen damage from a drop
Reply #1 - 07/20/10 at 08:45:42

Check for bent rim if any impact at all happened against the front wheel or forks.  Also, the bearings in the steering stem can get damaged from minimal crash.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #2 - 07/20/10 at 09:18:48

400 maybe if you get it done at a shop.. my estamate based on your visual inspection..

100 windshield
30 foot pegs

wouldn't fix exhaust or brake cover but..
30 trick chrome brake cover
15-30 pair of cool mirrors

muffler or pipe??
30-200 muffler
75 pipe

alot of times turn signals and the tank or the grips get messed up when dropping the bike.  and unseen damage.. that serenity mentioned

20 turn signals
30 tank repair(bondo and paint if it hasn't got a hole punched in it)
25 new bearings
200 new rim

so estimate runs from bare minimum fixing with leaving a few things scratched at 115 doing it yourself to fixing everything yourself 250 to add in unseen damage 475 and things you didn't notice 525 and add probly 200 for labor if you take it to an honest shop.. it's all easy stuff, but a bunch of it.  so I think your estimate is probably good for getting it fixed in the shop.  It all seems cosmetic accept for the peg and the windshield and ya can deal without one.. so it's still perfectly useable without fixing anything but the peg and the pegs are made of steel so it probably bent like a piece of silverwear you can unbend it and go about your way.  Just by taking a hammer to it attached to the bike.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
easywriter
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #3 - 07/20/10 at 10:57:13

Thank you. It was the exhaust pipe that was damaged. Is it possible to have any damage to the fuel system/carburetor from this drop?

IP Logged
adj_jaker
YaBB Newbies

"Another Dumb
Joke"

Lewisburg, Pa
Reply #4 - 07/20/10 at 11:07:43

Mine got laid down before:  2009 S40 - I'll have to try to find the bill:

Foot Peg, Mirror, turn signal, brake lever, muffler = $700

Muffler was scratched so they included it.  That was nearly $400.  Thank goodness for a $100 deductible.

I like to keep things simple..

2009 Stock_White/Silver.
ckyjacobcky   IP Logged
easywriter
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #5 - 07/20/10 at 11:23:17

adj_jaker, did your insurance premiums go up?

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/20/10 at 17:03:41

If you are a dealer you can bill her for a thrunge grommet and muffler bearings.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/21/10 at 05:30:23

Cost of repair depends on the goals. IF putting it back in Mint Condition is the goal, then its gonna cost a lot more, BUT, If someone is willing to accept some "Character Lines" on it, then loads O $$$ can be saved. The exhaust pipe has a liner inside & most likely, the exhaust flow is not changed, its a cosmetic problem, Brake cover.. naaah, Will the peg straighten? If not, a pair of aftermarkets may cost less than a replacement for one, IDK. A pic or 2 would help here, ya know??
My turn signals are epoxied together> On a walk by, its hardly noticeable. But, its nice to have all the plastic bits to fill in the holes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:13:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unseen damage from a drop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.