Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Belt Tension (Read 518 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Belt Tension
Reply #15 - 07/25/10 at 07:20:21

The tension tool supplied by Suzuki has three marks engraved on it, and Suzuki says to set belt tension to the middle mark. I am reasonably sure Suzuki asked for and got advice from Bando during the design phase, and I am reasonably sure Suzuki is capable of properly designing the belt tensioning tool. I am also reasonably sure that setting the belt tension as Suzuki suggests will result in long and reliable service.

But the belt sometimes squeaks. Some have found that loosening it reduces or eliminates the squeak, and I think that is the basis for the "90-degree twist" method of setting it. Some have suggested various lubricants to eliminate the squeak, bearing in mind it is a "rubber" belt and petroleum products are not kind to rubber. Some have suggested techniques for aligning the rear wheel (and belt pulley) to eliminate the squeak. Mine, however, squeaks from the outboard side of the drive pulley, and I cannot see a way to adjust its alignment short of loosening all the engine mounting bolts and attempting to move the engine. So, I use a product by Dupont called "Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant." I spray it on the edge of the belt and it lasts for a while. It can be found in Ace Hardware stores (or could, last time I looked) and has the UPC of 36121 19157.

Fortunately for me, the belt squeak is a high-pitched sound. Ear plugs work remarkably well against high-pitched sounds. I wear ear plugs anyway, because of wind noise. Thus, I barely hear the squeak even when it occurs. Perhaps the belt squeak will serve as a substitute for the farcical "Loud pipes save lives."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:33:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.