Send Topic Print
Belt Tension (Read 518 times)
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Belt Tension
07/19/10 at 11:33:17

What's the rule of thumb for this tension. One should be able to turn the belt at a 90 degree angle on the bottom of the drive belt . Is this right?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Belt Tension
Reply #1 - 07/19/10 at 12:09:56

That's what I've always heard

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/19/10 at 17:52:31

I think the trick is turn it 90deg with moderate pressure.
I aligned my whee, tightened the belt, twisted the belt and it was too tight
made some strange noises when it rolled, backed off a bit and it was fine.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #3 - 07/19/10 at 19:14:25

You don't have the belt tension tester tool that comes in the savage tool bag?  it's in a black bag behind the silver cover that you open with a key.  If it's between the two lines when held between the tension tab and the belt.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/19/10 at 19:26:09

james may wrote on 07/19/10 at 19:14:25:
You don't have the belt tension tester tool that comes in the savage tool bag?  it's in a black bag behind the silver cover that you open with a key.  If it's between the two lines when held between the tension tab and the belt.

Now take that and throw it in the ocean.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/19/10 at 20:12:55

verslagen1 wrote on 07/19/10 at 19:26:09:
james may wrote on 07/19/10 at 19:14:25:

Now take that and throw it in the ocean.

+1. Using the tension tool will set you up with a belt thats too tight. On the bottom, in the middle between the pulleys it should indeed reach 90* when twisted with moderate pressue.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/19/10 at 23:09:33

Its not just a rule of thumb. Its more like, a rule of thumb & forefinger

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #7 - 07/20/10 at 05:15:49

Already got that great tensioner tool out of the tool bag, what a waste. Thanks for the help, everyone.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 07/20/10 at 05:41:45

Instead of throwing away the tensioner tool, add a mark to it. Get the belt to the tension you like, insert the tensioner tool, and scribe another mark on it. That way you will have a repeatable way to tension the belt the way you like it the next time.

When I experimented with mine, I discovered that the difference between the 90-degree twist and the Suzuki tension tool was less than one turn of the belt adjusting bolts. Depending on the strength of your thumb and forefinger, your results may differ.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 07/20/10 at 18:10:00

Charon wrote on 07/20/10 at 05:41:45:
Instead of throwing away the tensioner tool, add a mark to it. Get the belt to the tension you like, insert the tensioner tool, and scribe another mark on it. That way you will have a repeatable way to tension the belt the way you like it the next time.

When I experimented with mine, I discovered that the difference between the 90-degree twist and the Suzuki tension tool was less than one turn of the belt adjusting bolts. Depending on the strength of your thumb and forefinger, your results may differ.

That's what I always wondered about how much difference there is.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/21/10 at 09:25:10

Mine doesn't get tense. I keep it in the garage on a shelf.

Phelonius Grin Grin

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/23/10 at 21:36:53

Charon wrote on 07/20/10 at 05:41:45:

Good words from Charon, as usual.

Here is my experience with the tool:

If you insist on using the belt gauge, don't set the belt any tighter than this:

Actually, the gauge should be positioned such that its longitudinal axis is perpendicular to the belt.  Mine is set a little off of the perpendicular in the above photo.

Currently, the belt on my Savage (see signature) is a tad too tight (I can rotate the belt about 85 degrees).  If the gauge in the picture were set perfectly at the perpendicular, it would indicate a bit tighter than it does in the photo.  I figure my slightly over-tight belt cancels out the slight mispositioning of the tension gauge, soooo.....

Bottom line?  Don't use the gauge, set your belt tension via the twist method.  If you insist on using the gauge, set the belt tension no tighter than what you see on the above photo.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #12 - 07/25/10 at 00:51:13

Mine still squeaked a little bit after I adjusted it using the 90 degree test. I backed off the adjuster bolts a further 1/2  turn and that nailed it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/25/10 at 01:40:52

I think Im gettin a tension headache

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #14 - 07/25/10 at 06:20:18

Interesting thread --What's the problem with adjusting the belt with the supplied tool and following Suzuki's instructions?

I set mine on the middle mark scribed on the tool. All seems well.

Do you believe that the Suzuki engineers didn't consult with the Banjo (belt) engineers as to the correct tension? Or that the Banjo engineers don't understand their own belt?

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:33:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Tension

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.