Send Topic Print
Battery (Read 370 times)
billyattitude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery
07/18/10 at 08:44:18

Hello all, been reading this forum since last year when I finally got my savage..knew this was the place to ask, my battery died on me and I cant seem to find a replacement, the only one that came close had the breather tube on the opposite side and I didnt know if that would work, I searched the 'tech' section and could not find any info ? any suggestions ? Thanks

Old one was a Napa GS 14LB2...not equiped to where I would be able to modify anything to adapt to a different battery, just need to find a direct replacement...also dont know the difference between a 'sealed' battery and the current one with the breather tube attached

« Last Edit: 07/18/10 at 09:46:07 by billyattitude »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Battery
Reply #1 - 07/18/10 at 09:32:30

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 07/18/10 at 10:02:00

Best is go to your Suzuki dealer and get the right battery,They easily last 5 years and what you save per year for getting a cheaper battery isn't much.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 07/18/10 at 12:47:29

http://www.bigcrank.com/product/ETX-16L.html
AGM (absorbed glass matt) It is still a lead acid battery

I'd have to give this one some serious thought if I needed one. Many here use them. Pros,....
longer life
never needs water
sealed for the most part, no vent tube
And will take higher charge w/o damage

Cons,.....more money

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 07/18/10 at 16:21:54

Routy wrote on 07/18/10 at 12:47:29:
...AGM (absorbed glass matt) It is still a lead acid battery

I'd have to give this one some serious thought if I needed one. Many here use them. Pros,....

Shorter self-discharge -- less 1-2%/month versus flooded battery 5-10%/month (need to use a tickle charge.)
Glass mat between plates means takes less vibration.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/18/10 at 17:44:29

My stock battery has went 5 months with out any kind of charge and still started my motorcycle,so far the vibration hasn't gotten to it yet.Tickle charging wears out a battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #6 - 07/19/10 at 09:44:55

I finally wore out my battery. It was a year old when I got it and over the past year (my 1st year riding on the street). I left my key on and in my bike 5 times and drained my battery. One time I ran out of gas and didn't realize it and cranked it over until the battery died.

Now the battery worked, just didn't hold a charge more than a day.

New replacement,
CYCLE-TRON II HIGH PERFORMANCE - 210 CCA - 12 AH

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Products/RT/PID-CYTX14AHL-BS%28M...

I believe it was Digger who recommended this one in another thread.

Most towns I think have a Interstate Battery Distributor. Eugene does I just took my old one in and swapped it out.
Filled it and charged it at 2amps for 1.5. hours and ready to rock!

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/19/10 at 16:03:34

If that is the battery you got, I'd bet you had a little trouble filling it ? Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/19/10 at 19:55:32

Routy wrote on 07/18/10 at 12:47:29:
http://www.bigcrank.com/product/ETX-16L.html
AGM (absorbed glass matt) It is still a lead acid battery

longer life
never needs water
sealed for the most part, no vent tube
And will take higher charge w/o damage

Cons,.....more money

I got a Big Crank and it's worth pointing out that it's both a little taller than the Yuasa (which I presume is closer to standard), plus the connections from the bike doesn't quite pair with the battery's leads, so it can be a little more difficult getting the battery back on than a slightly smaller battery.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 07/20/10 at 07:06:35

Did anyone ever check like the Battery Store for AGM batteries the right size? I bought 2 12v 18 AH for my 24v lawnmower for $80 incl shipping. They are deep cycle, but I don't know if they have enough CCA for our bikes. I know the originals were used hard and lasted 8 years.

Rich
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/20/10 at 08:24:45

On that 2011 Suzuki it says it comes with a AGM battery so a person could get one that fit right from Suzuki.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 07/20/10 at 22:34:26

Now that is a plus !
AGM batteries are going to be the industry standard in not too long. All they have to do is get the price down, and they will be "in"

Rich
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #12 - 07/21/10 at 08:47:47

Routy wrote on 07/19/10 at 16:03:34:
If that is the battery you got, I'd bet you had a little trouble filling it ? Undecided

Easy enough to fill it. It came with the acid needed.
Just flip over acid container, line it up with holes, punch it down into the holes, let it drain into the battery. Put cover seal on it.

Charge and install.

Simply really.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 07/21/10 at 19:57:47

The point I was getting at,....
without going back and checking, the battery you quoted was an AGM battery, which cannot be filled w/ anything except when they are filled and sealed at the factory.
If you did fill it, it had to be a regular lead acid battery, and not an AGM.

On edit, after checking your link, I may stand corrected. This will be the first AGM battery I've know of to be filled by the consumer. If you did indeed "seal" it after filling, then I stand corrected,....and learned something new.
cursal wrote on 07/21/10 at 08:47:47:
Routy wrote on 07/19/10 at 16:03:34:

Easy enough to fill it. It came with the acid needed.
Just flip over acid container, line it up with holes, punch it down into the holes, let it drain into the battery. Put cover seal on it.

Charge and install.

Simply really.

Rich
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 07/22/10 at 06:54:03

The 2011 S40 comes with a "maintenance-free" battery, according to Suzuki's site. Maintenance-free is not necessarily AGM. Most automotive maintenance-free batteries are flooded-cell with sealed filler caps. Some years back I bought a dry-charged maintenance-free battery for a motorcycle. It came empty, with tape over the filler holes. It included a little plastic assembly consisting of six bottles of acid with long filler necks. I removed the tape over the battery filler holes, snapped the tops off the filler assembly, inserted the necks into the battery and waited for the acid to drain into the battery. When it finished, there was a plastic strip with six plugs which inserted and locked into the battery filler holes. After that, the battery was maintenance-free.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 09:38:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.