Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Luggage ideas for touring on an S40 (Read 204 times)
horseshoe_george
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Otisfield, ME
Luggage ideas for touring on an S40
07/18/10 at 03:04:54

I am wondering who has some good ideas for carrying lots of stuff on the later model Boulevard s40's that do not come with the sissybar. There is an expesnive add on with a tiny sissy bar and a tiny luggage rack from suzuki that looks pretty useless. Wondering if anyone has located a good aftermarket item or has fabricated something to carry enough stuff for touring.

I'd love hard bags and a trunk LOL

'06, TKAT fork brace, 1/3 spacer,155 main/55 pilot, K@N filter, Jardine, NGK irridium plug, Phillips MotoVision +40 orange hue bulb, windscreen, Hagon Shocks
  IP Logged
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Luggage ideas for touring on an S40
Reply #1 - 07/18/10 at 03:10:14

I supose a tank bag and a set of universal saddle bags with a rucksack bungeed to the pass seat isnt enough?
I used to that all the time mostly without the tankbag though. Cant beat a good cargo net and strong bungees IMO. I also used to stretch back into the rucksack for a bit of back rest too.

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #2 - 07/18/10 at 06:10:00

this guys luggage rack looks decent but it is mounted to the sissy bar..

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1278206358

I've also seen some pretty big universal saddle bags that could be useful.  Or you could just get something off of another bike and mod it to fit.  I'd imagine on hard bags you could just drill a few holes and bolt it through the fender.  ebay has some like 5 piece luggage sets that you can bungie to your back seat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-SISSY-T-BAR-BAG-LEATHER-TRAVEL-LUGG...

looks like they would be best tied to the sissy bar though..

here are some nice looking hard bags although alittle pricey..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-RIDE-Motorcycle-HARD-SADDLEBAGS-SADDLE-BAG...

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #3 - 07/18/10 at 08:23:16

The bags I used are pretty roomy & not to expensive; and would not require a sissy bar.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1274048750/6#6

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 07/18/10 at 10:22:13

I have a piece from Iron Ridder luggage. It sets ontop of my passenger seat and attaches to the bike via straps that run under the side rails. It comes in different sizes which can stack on top of one another.
Here is the web site.
www.dowcopowersports.com

I don't have a sissy bar so was looking for something that I could attach to my bike as well. This bag can also be removed easily and take with you if need be.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/18/10 at 10:54:30

How hardcore of touring? Max Morley HD'd his out with boneyard parts and some junk off my stocker (fender rails, sissybar).

You can get Harley's 1950s luggage racks, new, from V-Twin Manufacturing and adapt them to your bike. Instant Tour-Pac mount. Add some repop bubble top bags fairly easily or some boneyard hard bags designed for KH or XL Harleys. They aren't huge, but they look great.

I use semi-rigid saddlebags (Saddleman Desperado), a River Road small semi-rigid tool pouch and a day pack. Can carry a week worth of socks, t-shirts, tools, a few spare pieces (oil, lights, plugs) a couple six packs and a bunch of MREs (I'm a tightwad). Tent, sleeping pad/bag get tied to the apehangers, using the headlight shell (7" steel sidemount, the plastic stocker broke in 98) as the bottom rest.

Sky is the limit on modding a Savage. With no real aftermarket support, anything you can make work is the right way.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #6 - 07/18/10 at 10:56:14

I've got GIVI U-21 hard bags and double helmet size top case on my Savage Bagger. Removed the rear seat and made brackets for the quick detach rack for the case. I had AMCO hard bags until I did a backing up tip over and crunched one. Couldn't find a replacement so watched on CL for the GIVI units. (go to the GIVI site and look for cruiser bags or universal bags) They also are quick detach but I haven't used them that way, mostly for grocery store and other errands. Can send pics if you leave me a PM with address, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/18/10 at 13:02:36

tanker's bags are about the biggest I've seen.
paladin's are about the most durable though.

I'd have to ask do you intend to ride double?
If not, look at fleabay for the harley a$$ed trunks.
I'd get a sevier like pallet mount and put it over the pillion for better wt. distribution.  A couple of flat bars mounted to the top shock mount and fender rails should be pretty sturdy.

many styles available...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Scooter-Motorcycle-Tail-Box-luggage-Back-T...

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/18/10 at 15:00:54

http://bikepics.com/pictures/1676511/

How's this for cargo, my tent, my cooking gear, my clothes, my food,
even my laptop.

Phelonius

Phelonius