Send Topic Print
installing apes (Read 142 times)
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
installing apes
07/15/10 at 18:55:58

ok so im installing 10" apes on my 95 savage.  took a little playing around but i was able to reroute the clutch and throttle cables to get it to fit. my issue is the break line which is pretty tight and keep my break lever low without allowing me play to adjust it.  i see that it is mounted to the side of the left fork with one bolt.  do i have to keep that line bolted to the side of the fork or will i have issues if i let it roam.  has anyone installed those apes and had any issues with the break line or figured out a way to adjust it safely.  thanks  Cool

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Re: installing apes
Reply #1 - 07/15/10 at 23:10:10

Do you have a pic? I only ask because I'm considering doing the same thing.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #2 - 07/16/10 at 06:00:03

What's ur email ill send u where im at

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 07/16/10 at 06:29:02

I run 15 inchers, used to run 13.5 apes. Go ahead and lose the bolt, the line will work the same loose as it does secured, IF the hose doesn't get broken in lock to lock turning.

I run a braided brake line on mine, makes the front brake feel firmer.

Watch the engine end of your clutch cable, you're adding some extra side pull with the higher bars. The little locking tab broke off the mount on mine, so I squished the block with pliers and it still works fine. You may want to swap the cable for one from a VN750/800. It has much more fine tuning with its center adjuster, is  longer, and definitely stronger. Early Marauder mechanical clutch lever fits the Savage and is available as a wide lever. Much more comfortable with the height increase.

Keep a close eye on your bar wiring bundles, they are extremely fragile and the tank WILL try to break them off with the slack removed.

Go to Lowes and get bronze bushings the same size as your rubber bar mounts. Trust me on this, I have the stock bushing set and the bars/risers move, a lot. Expect a major increase in grip buzz though.

I run 15s. Lisa runs 10.5s on her Intruder. Neither of us will go back to less than the 10 1/2 inch bars.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 07/17/10 at 17:30:53

why do you want apes?  is it the look or something else?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 07/17/10 at 18:31:03

Comfort for me, I clear 6'2" and the Savage is a small bike. Stock pullbacks put my elbows too close to my kidneys for the aggressive riding  style I tend to follow. Plus the higher height lets me relax my arms without adversely affecting the throttle or steering.  Hands at or just below shoulder height keeps your back straight, puts your weight on your butt instead of your thighs and feet and lets your built in shock absorbers (spinal discs) move as needed to compensate for your torso motion.

Only thing I don't like about apehangers is my left arm going numb with a daypack on. Which it would not do if I didn't have an armor plated upper humerus and shoulder ball. Post-wreck hardware tends to pinch a couple nerves when extra weight is added.

I also find the bike responds much better to steering inputs with the high bars. There's an old saying about "Give me the proper lever and I can move the world"...

Yes, apehangers look better, but, in this case cosmetics are at least a tertiary consideration.

No, they aren't for everyone. Learn how to ride a stocker like you were born on it before going to higher bars. They do make that dramatic of a difference.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 07/17/10 at 19:01:34

i didn't know that - thanks!

Archimedes was a smart dude!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:31:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › installing apes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.