Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Turns over, but scraping noises (Read 378 times)
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Turns over, but scraping noises
07/15/10 at 14:23:41

So, I had a sort of abortive attempt to fix my Savage a few times, but I've got basically nothing else to do, so I'm pretty dead set this time.

History (Feel free to skip)
I have a 1998 Savage that worked okay for a while when I got it in 2008.  Then I went away for a few weeks and when I came back, had a dead battery.  I bought a battery minder and eventually a whole new battery to get the thing working again.  Eventually I needed to clean the carb, and I just sort of left it for a about a year never quite finding time to clean it out.  Anyway, I eventually cleaned it out and found my old petcock had gas in the vacuum line.  It's been about 4 months since then and I finally replaced the fuel line.

The fuel tank has a coating in it, but I'm somewhat uncertain if it's still effective.  The fuel seems to be flowing okay through the new petcock.  My battery is also freshly charged, and not very old.
End History

Anyway, The actual problem is that when I try to start up the bike, I can hear the initial engine turn over, but instead of revving I get a sort of scraping sound.

I'm going to hazard a guess this is probably a sign the carb is gummed up and I should clean it out again.  Which I probably need to do anyway, but I'd like to know if there are other issues I should be aware of.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Turns over, but scraping noises
Reply #1 - 07/15/10 at 15:01:33

1. Very unclear here...  Gas in vac line/ you replaced the fuel line?...
You need a new petcock...

2. Scraping noise?... is not a lean carb... no way...
Something is scraping.... locate the source of that sound...

Check that you have oil,... does it have gas in the oil?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/15/10 at 15:07:17

Serowbot wrote on 07/15/10 at 15:01:33:
1. Very unclear here...  Gas in vac line/ you replaced the fuel line?...
You need a new petcock...
 Yes, replaced the petcock.  Sorry, thought I mentioned that.

Serowbot wrote on 07/15/10 at 15:01:33:
2. Scraping noise?... is not a lean carb... no way...
Something is scraping.... locate the source of that sound...

Check that you have oil,... does it have gas in the oil?...
Hrm.  Okay, listened to it a couple more times.  I'm just being dumb...  I guess the starter without the revving just sounds really harsh to me. (Sorry for the miscommunication)  I can hear the engine trying to turn over, but not quite making it.

...Ugh, guess that makes my title wrong too.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/15/10 at 15:16:51

Okay...

It's been a long time since the bike has run...

Pull the sparkplug and squirt a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder... This will re-establish a compression seal between the rings and the cylinder walls...
Then try to start,... don't crank more than 5 or 10 seconds... you might overheat the starter... give a little rest 2 or three attempts... try only a couple times...

If it  still won't start,... pull the air filter, and and spray wd40 into the carb from there for 2 or 3 seconds while you crank...
Stop spraying if it starts... try this a couple of times...

If it doesn't start,... check back here...

IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/15/10 at 16:16:57

Serowbot wrote on 07/15/10 at 15:16:51:
Pull the sparkplug and squirt a teaspoon of oil into the cylinder... This will re-establish a compression seal between the rings and the cylinder walls...
Then try to start,... don't crank more than 5 or 10 seconds... you might overheat the starter... give a little rest 2 or three attempts... try only a couple times...
Okay, need to go buy a spark plug wrench, then.

Quote:
If it  still won't start,... pull the air filter, and and spray wd40 into the carb from there for 2 or 3 seconds while you crank...
This seems simpler.  The spark plug needs to be done first? (I guess the  reseal needs to happen anyway?)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/15/10 at 16:34:49

ArielT wrote on 07/15/10 at 16:16:57:
Quote:
This seems simpler.  The spark plug needs to be done first? (I guess the  reseal needs to happen anyway?)

You can try it...  the wd40 might be enough...
Keep your face clear of the filter hole in case it backfires... Grin...

the oil in the cylinder is only necessary if enough gas has passed through the engine without starting, that the  gas has washed the cylinder of it's oil seal...

IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/15/10 at 17:16:31

Serowbot wrote on 07/15/10 at 16:34:49:
You can try it...  the wd40 might be enough...
Keep your face clear of the filter hole in case it backfires... Grin...
Eek, will do.

Quote:
the oil in the cylinder is only necessary if enough gas has passed through the engine without starting, that the  gas has washed the cylinder of it's oil seal...
I was having trouble with it revving up and dying without starting before (the petcock problem), so it's possible that this is indeed the case.

IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/15/10 at 18:48:34

The 17mm spark plug wrench / socket seems strangely absent from any of my local auto parts stores.  I assume this is Austin so some motorcycle store probably has one, but it's seeming more and more likely I'm I going to have to order this online.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/15/10 at 21:06:26

The lawnmower section of lowes/ home`despot has plug wrenches, thin walled ones.
Nows the time to9m modify the head chrome to let you get the plug w/o pulling the tank

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 07/15/10 at 21:43:15

ArielT wrote on 07/15/10 at 18:48:34:
The 17mm spark plug wrench / socket seems strangely absent from any of my local auto parts stores.  I assume this is Austin so some motorcycle store probably has one, but it's seeming more and more likely I'm I going to have to order this online.  Any suggestions?

FWIW...

On mine (see signature), I use a 3/8" drive 18mm deep-well socket for the spark plug.

YMMV!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/15/10 at 22:11:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/15/10 at 21:06:26:
Nows the time to9m modify the head chrome to let you get the plug w/o pulling the tank

Do you have a link to the procedure?

IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #11 - 07/16/10 at 00:33:24

After you pull the spark plug, reconnect the spark plug lead to it and lay the plug against the head with the threaded portion touching the head.  Crank the engine to verify that a strong blue spark jumps across the electrode gap.  If you don't see a spark or if the spark jumps from the center electrode insulator to the side wall of the spark plug then go buy a new plug.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #12 - 07/16/10 at 09:39:53

I did not see where you actually checked the battery or push-started - so it could still be your battery is not cranking the starter hard enough to start.   A new lead-acid battery that sits for a year will sulfate, and will not accept a full charge.  If you can push-start it then the battery is crippled.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/16/10 at 10:49:40

ero4444 wrote on 07/16/10 at 09:39:53:
I did not see where you actually checked the battery or push-started - so it could still be your battery is not cranking the starter hard enough to start.   A new lead-acid battery that sits for a year will sulfate, and will not accept a full charge.  If you can push-start it then the battery is crippled.

I had the battery on a tender.  I think that's intended to keep exactly what you describe from happening.  I guess I could pull out my voltmeter and see, though.

IP Logged
ArielT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/16/10 at 14:27:14

Serowbot wrote on 07/15/10 at 15:16:51:

Should I be doing these with the gas tank on?  Also, is the WD40 intended to clean things out or is it a matter of lubrication?  I have some actual carb cleaner I could always spray in.  Not sure what this procedure is doing, really.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:19:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turns over, but scraping noises

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.