Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I'm a total idiot! (Read 528 times)
ero4444

weekender

Re: I'm a total idiot!
Reply #15 - 07/15/10 at 08:50:13

jimsgirl, mine is my first bike and when I started riding it seemed like a good idea to lock the forks.   But FYI the fork lock is puny, somewhat easily broken and sometimes sticky, and the bike is so light that two thieves can throw it on back of a truck and it's gone anyway.  

Fortunately the bike is so inexpensive that thieves don't care to steal it, and that is partially why our insurance cost is so low.

So if you really want to immobilize the bike, you need a sturdy bike chain like the OnGuard - http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Rottweiler-5025-Bicycle-Armored/dp/B000FL1BHU/r... - or a disk lock - that has its own risks if you forget to take it off.  

Now with a few miles under me, the bike security has become less important.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #16 - 07/15/10 at 09:26:07

ero,
I'm with you.  When I first got my bike I would use the fork lock, but after forgetting to unlock it before I started the bike, that got old quick.  I used to worry about leaving my helment on the bike when I went inside, I would lock it to the bike with a padlock (the helment lock is under the saddlebags), take it in with me, carry it around, get someone at a desk to watch it, etc.  Sometimes I do take it with men, but now I realize no one wants my old stinky helment.
So bike security has become less important. Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #17 - 07/15/10 at 12:21:16

I've got a tail light housing you can have. PM your address and its yours.  Smiley

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 07/15/10 at 12:23:27

Oldnewguy wrote on 07/15/10 at 12:21:16:
I've got a tail light housing you can have. PM your address and its yours.  Smiley

It's a left turn signal light.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #19 - 07/15/10 at 12:26:38

P.S. Mines on my right calf.  Grin

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #20 - 07/15/10 at 12:27:46

That's what I meant to say. I got both!  Cool

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/15/10 at 16:14:53

'snot anything the rest of us haven't done at some time or another.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #22 - 07/15/10 at 17:21:02

I pulled are stupid stupid today. Rode to work in the morning and went for lunch.  Stopped at a store to get a lottery ticket (my retirement fund Smiley).
Got back on the bike and it wouldn't start. Tried the usual, gear kickstand etc but no joy. Walked back to work (only 5 min). Called my dealer service dept and they said to check battery connections. Sounded reasonable so I borrowed some allen wrenches and a truck and went back to the bike. Pulled the seat off (the battery is under the seat on the C50) and all the connections were good. Looked at the handle bars reached over and put the kill switch back to the run position kicked myself and started the bike. My only hope is that maybe the next time the bike won't start I will remember to think 1st.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #23 - 07/15/10 at 23:41:00

I dropped mine first 1st month in a parking lot... as a couple where walking by saying "cool bike!"

I broke my left turn signal also and replaced it with same kind of lights as Babyhog.

when you install make sure you check which wire is running light and which is turn signal.  the bulbs go on reverse for left and right (filaments switch top to bottom). I mixed mine up and one light was brighter and it kept burning the bulb out.

Also use a o ring terminal connector for the ground wire.  it is much better than just twisting the wires around the light.

can get one at home depot in various size to fit the light's bolt.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #24 - 07/19/10 at 19:13:02

babyhog wrote on 07/15/10 at 05:09:22:
Wow, I haven't been burnt by the exhaust... yet...  I did throw a fleece jacket over the seat once and melted the sleeve.  I'm ok waiting for that battle scar!  Hope your leg feels better soon.  

Never burned myself bad enough on exhaust for a permanent scar, but did hang my backpack on my handlebars after getting to work, and melted part of one of the plastic buckles to the header. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #25 - 07/19/10 at 20:18:03

kicked myself and started the bike.

never saw a kick starter work like that, but okay

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #26 - 07/19/10 at 21:43:20

++ Erro - thanks for the fork lock info... I had wondered how much "safer" that lock really is, so I'm sure I'll not lock it soon. I have a cover on it at night, and I do have a disk lock. I make a point of rolling the bike forward before I start it. I tried to roll it out of the driveway and it stopped, thought I'd caught it on something, then realized the disk lock was there. AUgh! My brother told me to attach the orange safety cord to the disk and then to the handlebar-instead of across the bars alone. That seems to work, I haven't forgotten it yet.

++OldNewGuy - Thanks for the taillight send...I appreciate that so much!

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
FrankYoungWolf

Living The Life!!

Ocala, Fl.
Reply #27 - 07/20/10 at 06:09:11

Cool to know that my egg shape scar on the inside of my right calf is no longer lonely.... Grin

And I will show you something different from either Your shadow at
morning striding behind you Or your shadow at evening rising to meet
you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-- T.S. Eliot
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #28 - 07/20/10 at 13:06:56

Wow lots o people have those aftermarket lights!!  I've got a set on the back of my bike too.  Guess their so cheap..  

I melted a helmet on my exhaust once.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 07/21/10 at 05:35:29

When doing wiring mods, lights, etc, those crimp connectors are quick & easy, but they arent exactly good, long term connections. You can use them to help you solder it up, tho, if soldering isnt something youre familiar with. Remove the plastic & make the connection up, then solder & insulate it. Itll last for years that way, or just strip your wires & solder them up, Heat Shrink, or liquid electrical tape or just plain ol Electrical tape will do the job.

Dont buy the 3 rolls for a dollar electrical tape for this kind of work. Go buy the Good Stuff, spend a few bucks, Cuz this kind of work has to be done right, once.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:34:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm a total idiot!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.