Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I Need Your Help Finding a Tool (Read 302 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I Need Your Help Finding a Tool
Reply #15 - 07/14/10 at 23:45:47

A fella like you could most likely hit the shop teacher up at the local high school. I bet those kids would be happy to whoop you up something. A few NASA decals & such would probably get it going.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 07/15/10 at 19:01:33

Digger wrote on 07/14/10 at 22:09:04:
Thanks for your ideas, everyone.  All of this discussion and learning has given me an idea:

How about I get a 13" long piece of 3/8" thick, 1 1/2" wide steel bar? Drill a 1/2" hole on each end. File both round holes to 1/2" square holes. Get a 1 1/2" long piece of 1/2" square solid steel rod. Use this as the square drive on one end of the steel bar, so I can put a socket on it. Use the 1/2" square hole on the other end of the steel bar to accept the drive square of my torque wrench.

Actually, I'd make one of the 1/2" square holes a bit small, so there would be a good interference fit for the piece of 1/2" square solid steel rod I'd be using as a drive square.

Spears?

Decided to go this route.

Spent a grand total of $4.90 (cash only, please) to get these two parts:

There is a 15" long piece of 3/8" X 1 1/2" steel bar and a 1 1/2" long piece of 1/2" square steel rod.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get the two 1/2" square holes into the two ends of the bar.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #17 - 07/15/10 at 19:21:03

If ya have a welder you don't need to cut any square holes.. just weld the sqaure bar onto the end of the bar.. For the other end drill a hole and put a bolt throught it with a fairly large size 3/4 maybe? and either tighten it on good with a nut or weld that on too.. now you can torque the bar with your wrench having a 3/4 socket on it and put whatever socket you want on the other end.  or you can put a 1/2 drill hole in it and try to file it out or use a small jigsaw or hacksaw or rasp of some kind to get the desired shape.. time consuming difficult and probably not a perfect square.. machine shop with a water jet or lazer cutter could probably cut out a decent square too..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 07/15/10 at 21:27:17

james may wrote on 07/15/10 at 19:21:03:
If ya have a welder you don't need to cut any square holes.. just weld the sqaure bar onto the end of the bar.. For the other end drill a hole and put a bolt throught it with a fairly large size 3/4 maybe? and either tighten it on good with a nut or weld that on too.. now you can torque the bar with your wrench having a 3/4 socket on it and put whatever socket you want on the other end.  or you can put a 1/2 drill hole in it and try to file it out or use a small jigsaw or hacksaw or rasp of some kind to get the desired shape.. time consuming difficult and probably not a perfect square.. machine shop with a water jet or lazer cutter could probably cut out a decent square too..

James,

Thanks for the suggestions, but.....why do y'all have to keep reminding me that I don't know how to weld?    Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #19 - 07/16/10 at 19:46:55

Summer school extension "night life class" in the neighborhood?  They might enjoy such a task.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/17/10 at 05:55:23

Digger, man, why donchya start lookin around for a used welder, do some innerneck homework on whatever you find & see if that unit is decent. My Harbor Freight has given me a load of hassles, but since last time I had it apart, its welding a lot better. IDK Why..but IM diggin it. Run some 220 & set up a long cord from the breaker to the outlet to plug the welder into. Then, if you add a welder, you can just plug in & still be able to weld outside the shop, Id explain on the phone, too much typing.
Little stuff like this tool is where to start5. No school needed, theres enough info out there to get a guy "off the ground" or to "Launch" a new hobby..
Im just not shy about stuff like this & I wouldnt think twice about walkng up to a welder & telling him what I was trying to do & offer top pay him some, be his helper for a day or 2 & maybe even pay him a bit, just to show me how to set up a torch & how to drag a bead & let me practice some,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #21 - 07/17/10 at 16:03:38

All you need is the welder to practice on to learn with. Welding is like using superglue there's about as much skill needed as is needed to glue a broken mug back together.(welding is usually stronger than superglue though when putting two pieces of metal together)

« Last Edit: 07/17/10 at 18:58:56 by james may »  
doublecheerypie   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 07/17/10 at 16:25:11

Still doing promotional tours?
cut and file your square holes.
Then take it with you and ask a favor.

or take it to a muffler shop.

WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #23 - 07/17/10 at 18:04:36

Digger wrote on 07/15/10 at 21:27:17:
Thanks for the suggestions, but.....why do y'all have to keep reminding me that I don't know how to weld?    Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

I learned (Barely & poorly) how to weld in the Army(it was not part of my MOS!) but I don't want to buy the gear.

When I need small jobs welded, I usually go to my mechanic.  I've been using him for about 15 years, and we're on pretty good terms, so if I have a small job, he let's his guys do it for me for a couple bucks or a 6-pack.  It's worked OK so far.  He welded the brackets I made for my driver backrest, and lent me the pipe bender I used when I made my saddle bag brackets.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 07/23/10 at 20:13:00

I gave up on the idea of using the 1/2" steel rod for a drive square.  A smart guy on my ST forum pointed out that that piece would probably twist under big torque loads.....sounded reasonable to me.

I decided to go with this plan:

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueExtension/TorqueExtension.htm

Thanks, Verslagen, for turning me on to that web site!   Smiley Smiley Smiley

I like how it ended up (I painted it gold because that was the only can of RUST-OLEUM I had at the house):

Jerry, the owner of Hinrichsen & Son Welding (near Circle and Platte in Colorado Springs) did a very nice job with the welding and his cost was certainly fair.  I would recommend him to anyone in this area who has small jobs to do....he welcomes small jobs and is an interesting fella to talk to.

A look at both sides of each end:

As you can see, the welds are stout.

All told, I've got twenty bucks tied up in this 1/2" drive torque extender, including the gold paint.  It measures about 13 15/32" center to center between the drives.  It turns my 0-150 ft-lb torque wrench into a 0-270 ft-lb torque wrench.

I'm pleased.

Thanks all, for your help and ideas!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I Need Your Help Finding a Tool

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.