Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: should cyclists be allowed to use the roads?

Yes  
  20 (71.4%)
Yes but with insurance  
  5 (17.8%)
No  
  2 (7.1%)
Every Cyclist should be shot on sight!!  
  1 (3.5%)

Total votes: 28
« Created by: ArGaT on: 07/13/10 at 11:08:44 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Road using cyclists (Read 276 times)
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Road using cyclists
07/13/10 at 11:08:44

Ok Guys heres my beef I was out on the beast today riding around town, I came to a set of pedestrian lights which turned red so we all stopped. It was lunch timeso there was alot of people about. So theyre all crossing the road when this cyclist courier came speeding up the inside/kerbside of the cars narrowly missing the mirrors and went speeding into the people crossing the road. He caught this little old lady with her shopping and spun her almost 360 degrees, he stumbled and almost dropped how on earth he didnt fall was beyond me. The guy didnt even stop to see if the lady was ok and just carried on. I was fuming, what arrogance and it got mer thinking about all the other near misses ive seen with cyclists and I started to get angry coz we HAVE to have insurance where as cyclists dont and what the situation worse is there is a cyclist route. I think all cyclists should be shot on sight!!!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Road using cyclists
Reply #1 - 07/13/10 at 11:11:02

I voted yes,... but that dude needs his ass kicked...royal... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/13/10 at 11:20:35

In general, cyclists are OK.  There are quite a few on the back roads around here, and most are well behaved.  They typically stay to the right and use rear view mirrors.  Normally in very small groups.
I call these recreational cyclists.  

What chaps my chaps is when there is a TON of those out there on some sort of contest or charity event.  If they have a number on their back, they feel they own the road.  Riding 4 abreast, taking up the entire lane (or road), not moving over, etc, etc.  And their rest areas are a disaster looking for a place to happen.
I call these Lance Wannabees.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/13/10 at 11:50:44

They need to be able to use the road. Using sidewalks would be a disaster. They also NEED to obey the rules of the road. You're a vehicle in traffic. Just because your vehicle burns calories and not gasoline doesnt mean you immediately have the right of way in all situations. If you are on a bike you are NOT a pedestrian. In Pgh you can, and often will, be cited for failure to obey traffic laws on a bicycle. You're also likely to be cut off, run into, and have doors opened in front of you on purpose.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 07/13/10 at 11:56:09

Cyclists are riding a vehicle (granted human-powered) they are (or should be) subject to the same rules as other vehicles. This would include yielding to pedestrians. However with that said, this comes with the requirement that they be given the same right of way as other vehicles which means they are entitled to an entire lane.

Youzguyz - do you move over and get out of the way when a car passes you? Do you share lanes when you are passing? Why do you think that bikers should do this - because they are going slower than the person passing them? By definition this is happening anytime one vehicle passes another. Do you expect slower cars to move over? At least in Illinois, when you pass a vehicle, you are required to miss everything else (Basically, you are leaving your lane which is all you are entitled to. So, yield to oncoming traffic and the vehicle you are passing when you come back into the same lane). Also, we do not have lane sharing, so you can't use the same lane (legally) to pass a MC or a bicycle or a car, etc.

IP Logged
ArGaT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/13/10 at 12:01:46

So morn are you saying that at traffic lights you are not allowed legally to filter through traffic but have to do a full leave the lane and re enter at the front of the queue?
If so im glad we dont have that requirement coz there would be no point in having a MC might aswell get a nice convertable and sit in traffic.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/13/10 at 12:27:28

ArGaT wrote on 07/13/10 at 11:08:44:
So theyre all crossing the road when this cyclist courier came speeding up the inside/kerbside of the cars narrowly missing the mirrors and went speeding into the people crossing the road. He caught this little old lady with her shopping and spun her almost 360 degrees, he stumbled and almost dropped how on earth he didnt fall was beyond me.

cyclist aren't pedestrians, he was in violation of the law entering a crosswalk on wheels.  Since he was working, insurance should be carried.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/13/10 at 13:15:56

mornhm - FSO wrote on 07/13/10 at 11:56:09:
Youzguyz - do you move over and get out of the way when a car passes you? Do you share lanes when you are passing? Why do you think that bikers should do this - because they are going slower than the person passing them? By definition this is happening anytime one vehicle passes another. Do you expect slower cars to move over? At least in Illinois, when you pass a vehicle, you are required to miss everything else (Basically, you are leaving your lane which is all you are entitled to. So, yield to oncoming traffic and the vehicle you are passing when you come back into the same lane). Also, we do not have lane sharing, so you can't use the same lane (legally) to pass a MC or a bicycle or a car, etc.

No lane sharing/splitting in Texas.
Soooo.. on a 2 lane country back road through the hills.  No passing allowed (double yellow line dude).  You want me to sit behind a 5mph bicycle for 20 miles?
Ain't gonna happen.

Yes, if there is a car that wants to get around me, I will move over to the right as far as I safely can so he can see ahead of me and to reduce the amount of time it takes him to get around me.  That applies to me in a cage or on my motorcycle.
People passing you here appreciate that action and you will always get a friendly waive or a flash of the brake lights when they get around you.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 07/13/10 at 14:21:20

Cycles *are* vehicles and thus cyclists should be allowed on the streets.  BUT....

Bicyclists shall comply the laws.  And...
*ANY* driver who does not comply the laws should be shot on sight.

Phelonius wrote on 07/13/10 at 12:10:48:
Wearing a firearm will make you more visible than loud pipes or loud color clothing.
 -- Phelonius

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/13/10 at 14:31:00

youzguyz wrote on 07/13/10 at 13:15:56:
mornhm - FSO wrote on 07/13/10 at 11:56:09:

No lane sharing/splitting in Texas.
Soooo.. on a 2 lane country back road through the hills.  No passing allowed (double yellow line dude).  You want me to sit behind a 5mph bicycle for 20 miles?
Ain't gonna happen.

Yes, if there is a car that wants to get around me, I will move over to the right as far as I safely can so he can see ahead of me and to reduce the amount of time it takes him to get around me.  That applies to me in a cage or on my motorcycle.
People passing you here appreciate that action and you will always get a friendly waive or a flash of the brake lights when they get around you.

No lane splitting in PA but you are allowed to pass a vehicle moving 15mph or more under the posted speed limit if you proceed in a "safe and prudent manner" (or some other such jargon).

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/13/10 at 14:36:12

As long as their paying road tax its alright to ride the roads.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/13/10 at 16:00:14

No license, no tax for use of the road, since the road tax is meant, not as a way to purchase the "right" to use the road, but as a means to pay for maintenance of those roads & a bicycle isnt exactly hurting the road. Regardless of the fact that someone is using the road for commerce, since he isnt doing harm to the road, a license isnt reasonable, IMO. Im against the whole License thing anyway. More later, I gotta go now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 07/13/10 at 18:46:49

The last several months I have turned into an avid cyclist. Most of you know I have Lupus. When Mick found out I had Lupus he sent me a video about an American roadracer who has Lupus. His dream was to race the Isle of Man. He sold his house and car and moved to the Isle of Man. He trained for the race on a bicycle. I have tried every kind of exercise and my hands and feet would always swell. I cant swim because I have tubes in my ears. Back in April I was thinking about Mick's video so I bought a nice Trek Mountain Bike. I knew I couldnt last much longer just laying around the house, already had one heart attack. Last week I tripped 500 miles on the bicycle. No swelling of the hands or feet! Today I rode over 16 miles. I rode it one time on city streets and I was terrified. You'll never have to worry about me blocking traffic. The city built a 7 mi bike trail about a 1/2 mi from my home. Thats where I do the majority of my riding. Had a physical last week. My doctor was so excited about my bloodwork she called me at home. She said my bloodwork looked the best it had looked in 10 years. She asked me what I was doing different, wanted to know if I had changed my diet. I told her no change in diet. Then I told her about the bicycle. She said whatever you do, dont stop pedaling.

« Last Edit: 07/13/10 at 20:22:51 by Midnightrider »  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/13/10 at 19:12:14

Yeah Midnight!... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 07/13/10 at 19:58:09

Way to go Midnightrider. Is always nice to hear how one can improve their health and stump the Dr's.

Here the cyclist's are supposed to obey the same rules as a car when on the roads. Like every thing else. Some do and some don't.

Last summer we were with another couple all on our mc's. We were on back roads and came upon a large group cycling from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, Wa. It got very hectic as these also rode 4 abreast and on curves as well.  It made it very difficult as one never knew if they were going to pass the cyclists in front and some would pull out into the lane with little or no warning.  Angry

It taught me to check and make sure their not doing their annual run when I may be wanting to travel the same route. I will take the freeway vs going thru that again.

Also here in Wa. It is against the law to pedal your ass.... Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 11:09:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Road using cyclists

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.