Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Changing brake fluid HELP needed (Read 292 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Changing brake fluid HELP needed
07/11/10 at 12:56:23

All I've ever done is top the brake fluid off when changing out my front brakes. Well its past time for the brake fluid to be drained and replaced with new.

So I went to the Clymers, checked ye olde owners manual and looked at our Savage CD. But I cannot figure a few things out.

1. I dont have the "brake pump" thingy to bleed the fluid.
The manual method described in Clymers says "hold brake lever in, AND tighten bolt 1/2" etc"

Ummm...I cannot reach like that. I have only two hands and they are attached to short arms.  Can I use a rubber band to hold the brake lever or does it need squeezed as the bolt is adjusted?

2. I think, looking at the pics, I need a hose to go from the cylinder to an empty bottle to drain the old fluid. Can I use a rubber hose (soft, flexible, and on hand) or does it have to be something different due to the corrosive fluid?

3. I am confused by Clymers instructions on draining - do you keep moving/turning the bolt? How do you know when to turn it at all?  My guess was turn it to start draining, then turn it back, which ties into the brake lever question - when do you do THAT?

Of course, this HAS to be done today, my one day off because I ride daily to work....! Help!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Changing brake fluid HELP needed
Reply #1 - 07/11/10 at 13:42:47

changing the fluid is easy.
1st get a rubber hose to fit over the nipple on the brake bleeder and stick it into a cup.
if you don't have one laying around, you can use the battery vent tube, blow it out 1st.
2nd, remove the master cylinder cover, have a rag on hand, that stuff eats paint.
3rd, open the brake bleeder and grab a beverage.
4th, keep an eye on the fluid level, when it gets low, refill it.  don't let it suck air.  when you've gone thru about half a small can, you're done.
5th, close off the bleeder and check your brake.  if it's spongy, you'll need to bleed it.

bleeding the brakes.  
set up as before, cover off, tube on bleeder in cup.
kneel on the left side of the front tire, right arm on a wrench on the bleeder, left reaching up to squeeze the lever.
bleeder should be broken loose but not open.

squeeze the lever, then open the bleeder.
squeeze down to the grip then close the bleeder.

repeat, checking lever feel every so often.
don't forget to refill the master.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 07/11/10 at 13:50:13

Geez V-man that was a great easy to understand explaination!

THANK YOU!

Why can't the manuals be written like this - sheesh I was getting a headache trying to figure Clymers out.

Okay, I am out to work on this - any guess as to the nut coming off anytime soon? Whenever I start a new project on the Suzi, I am always dealing with factory-tight nuts & bolts that frustrate me into banging things around.  Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/11/10 at 14:09:20

the cover screws may give you a hard time, but as you've said you refilled it so shouldn't be hard fast.

the bleeder has a wrench flats so no problem there either.

manuals are written by mechanics who don't accept criticisms from ordinary folk.  what the hell do we know anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #4 - 07/11/10 at 14:16:06

Repair manuals ar usually meant for peoples who already have a good understanding of how bikes work.  And they usually include their way of doing it that is not the only way and they tend to leave out alot of important details.  If your into doing all the work on your bike it suggest getting a basic beginners book on motorcycle maintenance that has pictures and lamens language to get the basics of how everything works.  Then  the only thing you need the manual for is torque specs and wiring diagrams, electrical resistances and voltages, clearances and maintenance schedules.

Or you can just on here..

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 07/11/10 at 14:40:35

I change the fluid as often as I do in a car that is never,I had a 1983 Suzuki GR650 went 28000 miles it sit for 20 years sold it to a guy he never changed it,The brakes still worked good,I never had to add fluid either.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 07/11/10 at 15:03:46

Well I just finished the fluid flush & change out - 20 minutes tops ~ PISH ~ it was so easy!

I guess I just needed a morale boost to get thru it  Wink

I've had to replace the brakes twice on my 2006. At those times I just topped off the brake fluid.

This is the first time I flushed it and replaced. The fluid in there was coffee coloured and the brake lever had gone soft this past week. Brake lever is now tight, fluid clear, all good for this weeks daily commute.

THANKS!  Smiley

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 07/11/10 at 15:14:30

bill67 wrote on 07/11/10 at 14:40:35:
I change the fluid as often as I do in a car that is never,I had a 1983 Suzuki GR650 went 28000 miles it sit for 20 years sold it to a guy he never changed it,The brakes still worked good,I never had to add fluid either.

im with u bill but the ssm says every 2 years to replace(ive missed 2x)
my truck has 101300 mi never done..car 90k never done..

skatin
glad to hear every thang went smoothly isnt this site(slaggy) awesome?!!! Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #8 - 07/11/10 at 15:28:27

Yes, this site has ALWAYS been a huge help to me when it comes to maintenance and troubleshooting.

In particular the step-by-step with photos of basic things like the oil change and front brake change.  It sooo much easier when it broken down for me with pictures. I am not so good with just written, and worse with techie manual writing.

And of course the pep club of "yes you CAN do it" that is here too.  Smiley

IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #9 - 07/11/10 at 16:17:27

Different types of brake fluid also have different life spans and it's usually time not milage.  The worry is that it will absorb water And rust out the lines eventually or in more complex systems possible crud can gum up solenoid valves.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/11/10 at 16:20:29

Am 71 years old and never seen it happen.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/11/10 at 17:49:52

I had the neighbors 84 Dakota in the shop, Brakes were toast, had to replace the master cylinder & flush all the lines, pulled all the lines off the 2 valve bodies on the frame, flushing just wasnt cutting it, so I blew them out. He had never changed his fluid & it was a mess in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 07/11/10 at 18:31:08

bill67 wrote on 07/11/10 at 16:20:29:
  Am 71 years old and never seen it happen.

Am 53 and have seen it happen twice, both on cages....both mine.

I learn by screwing up!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/11/10 at 18:39:23

i've seen it too in an old RV
if the vehicle is not used enough to heat up the brakes, it will never drive off the water.

WWW   IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #14 - 07/12/10 at 09:27:34

an RV with no brakes sounds like a good way to ruin the family vacation.  

It makes sense to me that if enough water is absorbed in the brake fluid, then going down a mountain will be enough to boil the water at the caliper, turning the brakes into spongy nothing until they cool off, long after the impact at the bottom of the scenic overlook.

Perhaps the steam would blow past the piston, or water corrosion would screw up the sealing, but either way the brakes would not work right when you really want them to.

Somebody posted fluid changing instructions here 3-4 months ago - it was easy and slow fun.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:20:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing brake fluid HELP needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.